1000ft drag racing in Denver (1 Viewer)

Re: Why is 1000 ft even an issue?

Not to argue the 1000' issue but we were told that Pro was in support of the countdown too, yet behind the scenes it was a much different story.

I do tend to believe that they are at least for the short term in support of this though

I like the Countdown (since it keeps my driver mathematically eligible for the championship).:D

I think it is a shame that the maybe biggest change in the history of drag racing has to come from a reaction to a problem the NHRA has known for at least 20 years....that A FEW of their tracks have inadequate shut down areas. Implement 1000' foot racing at the tracks that don't meet 2008 safety standards for shut down length/sand trap/catch net configurations/ [[CLEARLY standardize these requirments]]-hold those tracks accountable-but please NHRA, don't change the whole sport when this is a stopgap measure at best.

You didn't have to start another 1000' thread you could have put your opinion with everyone elses!

Moderator can you move this to the original thread to were it belongs!

http://www.nitromater.com/nhra/16060-1000ft-drag-racing-denver.html

Yeah! Merge this crap with the other thread!

I don't think we need to go call anyone a "puss".

I also don't think the majority of the people against this decision think it was a decision based on being a "puss".

I also don't think most of the people against this move are against it because of the length of the race. I am against it because it breaks tradition. It also isn't going to guarantee no more deaths. What happens if someone now gets killed beyond 1000'? Shorten the track even more? Drop it to 1/8 mile? Then what happens when someone gets killed beyond the 1/8 mile?

As long as guys have been pushing cars to the extreme, there have been deaths involved. There always will be. If you are a thrillseeker of any type, you are chancing death.

Does anybody know how many guys have been killed in Drag Racing beyond the finish line? Maybe they should compare some stats on that, versus stats on people that were killed before the finish line.

I still say that Scott just had too many things go wrong, to overcome them all. If his car had blown up at 800' or 900', and all the other variables remained the same, he still wouldn't be with us today. Obviously I have no facts to support my opinion. It's just that, my opinion.

With all due respect Bob, my post is not about 1000 ft per se.
It's addressed to thos blowhards that think they know everything and their disrespecting drivers and their concerns. When I read "Scott would not have wanted this" I get very angry. The man is dead, online know it alls have no idea what he would have wanted!!! How incredibly shallow and pretentious! It's an insult to the mans memory.That STEAMS ME!

Vaughn, as I tried to make clear, I don't think this because of Scotts death. I think that was just the last straw. This is about MANY issues. Tradition is fine, but reality is better. I personally preffer nostalgia racing, much slower AND MORE FUN! But something has to change in pro fuel racing, this time its coming from the racers themselves, I think they know more than we do.

With all due respect Bob, my post is not about 1000 ft per se.
It's addressed to thos blowhards that think they know everything and their disrespecting drivers and their concerns. When I read "Scott would not have wanted this" I get very angry. The man is dead, online know it alls have no idea what he would have wanted!!! How incredibly shallow and pretentious! It's an insult to the mans memory.That STEAMS ME!

I hear you,unless people personally knew him they shouldn't make statements like that!

...These guys are FUEL RACERS, YOU ARE NOT! Go watch golf!

It irks me that some people who claim to love drag racing can show such disrespect for the traditions and history of the sport. But, that said, I'm glad that you are at least open about your contempt for the fans who buy the tickets that make it possible for those fuel racers to do the thing they love. However, if those fans you despise actually follow your advice to go watch golf, how long do you think it will be before the drivers and crew members will be looking for another line of work?

Golf has never had much of an appeal to me. Would it be okay with you if I instead spent my time and money watching and following sprint cars?

HUH? I think you are misunderstanding me.
I have no contempt for fans, i have contempt for know nothing online blowhards!
It's great to see people having fun at the drags, I don't care if they know zip about it. re read my posts! it's the guys that marginalize someones death, that are ALLWAYS negative no matter what PRO or the NHRA does that get me!
I just read the LA Daily news article on this, seems that MOST racers are in favor of this. Only Mel Troxle was quoted as against it.

It irks me that some people who claim to love drag racing can show such disrespect for the traditions and history of the sport. But, that said, I'm glad that you are at least open about your contempt for the fans who buy the tickets that make it possible for those fuel racers to do the thing they love. However, if those fans you despise actually follow your advice to go watch golf, how long do you think it will be before the drivers and crew members will be looking for another line of work?

Golf has never had much of an appeal to me. Would it be okay with you if I instead spent my time and money watching and following sprint cars?

They do dwarf the prize money and salaries that NHRA drivers make by an astronomical amount!
If NHRA made the kind of money the PGA makes they could build brand new tracks every year! :cool:
Most of the drivers love to play golf by the way!:eek:

somebody just died performing for all of us.
please, have some compassion and discipline to recognize that
there will be changes; possibly short-term, possibly long-term, but
nevertheless changes for safety's sake.

i would cast a vote for high 4 sec. runs @ around 290-300mph;
also like bob cole's statement regarding 'slower acceleration'.

I've been attending drag races since I was 11 years old, starting in 1964.
Over the years at the gazillion races I've been to I've noticed two distinct kinds of fans.
1 Those who know nothing about drag racing.
2 Those who know EVERYTHING about drag racing.

Frequently the two are the same. I have read and heard endless *****ing, moaning and griping about 1000ft, the NHRA and even the drivers themselves.JEEEZ!
Read this:
“The board members of the Professional Racers Owners Organization (PRO) wholeheartedly and unanimously support this decision,” said its president Kenny Bernstein. “We want to thank NHRA for listening to our input and suggestions to incorporate these changes. It is not lost on any of us that this constitutes a change in our history of running a quarter-mile, but it's the most immediate adjustment we can make in the interest of safety which is foremost on everyone's mind. This may be a temporary change and we recognize it is not the total answer. We will continue to work hand in hand with NHRA to evaluate other methods of making Top Fuel and Funny Car competition safer so that we might return to our quarter-mile racing standard. We also want to thank Connie Kalitta for his invaluable input. He has been a rock through these difficult times.”

READ IT? UNAMIMOUS MEAN ANYTHING TO YOU?
For those that bemoan the "pussification" of racing, go call Jerry Toliver a puss. Go call Connie Kallitta or Ed McCulloch or Bernie Fedderly a puss.
Try the Pedregons.
When these guys say slow down, ITS TIME TO SLOW DOWN.
Unless you want mid season rule changes to cars, that would require basically all new cars, 1000 ft is the way to go.
It's not a knee jerk reaction to Scotts death, its the cumination of MANY issues, Tires, shut off, chassis failures, costs etc.
It's about time PRO put its collective foot down, It's time to act NOW!
So stop your complaining, stop your second guessing, whining and moaning.
These guys are FUEL RACERS, YOU ARE NOT! Go watch golf!

Well said!

Larry Fulton

.."Lastly, how about NHRA’s new 1000-foot racing? The purist in me was really shocked in a negative way when I first heard, but the more I think about it, it is the most prudent and reasonable change (though huge) that could be done to maximize safety at this time. I wonder how many nitro drivers will fall back on bad habits and “take it to the scoreboards”?"

From Jack Beckman's blog: Blogs.NHRA.com - NHRA Driver Blogs

All I know is that 1320 ft, 1000 ft, 330 ft...whatever it is Im still going to watch because I love drag racing. I love it too much to watch another person be injured or killed because they didnt have enough room etc, so whatever NHRA decides to do I'll back them up 100% as long as we still get to watch some racing. The good side to this is that less parts ruined and less nitro used....more competitors...double the fun! ;)

HUH? I think you are misunderstanding me.
I have no contempt for fans, i have contempt for know nothing online blowhards!
It's great to see people having fun at the drags, I don't care if they know zip about it. re read my posts! it's the guys that marginalize someones death, that are ALLWAYS negative no matter what PRO or the NHRA does that get me!
I just read the LA Daily news article on this, seems that MOST racers are in favor of this. Only Mel Troxle was quoted as against it.

There may be some that marginalize someone's death, and I agree that's dispicable. But I think most people who oppose this change have stated that they are in favor of some type of alternative that preserves the integrity and history of the sport. Speaking for myself, I definitely favor slowing these cars down. I think it was short-sighted and preposterous to have believed that we could have expected that these ever-increasing speeds would continue forever - not without a lot of unacceptable carnage. As I've stated elsewhere, nobody in there right mind wants to see injury or worse on a drag strip. God forbid that we ever lose our humanity by lowering ourselves to the status of the ancient Romans in transforming our entertainment into a blood sport.

I've been attending drag races since I was 11 years old, starting in 1964.
Over the years at the gazillion races I've been to I've noticed two distinct kinds of fans.
1 Those who know nothing about drag racing.
2 Those who know EVERYTHING about drag racing.

Frequently the two are the same. I have read and heard endless *****ing, moaning and griping about 1000ft, the NHRA and even the drivers themselves.JEEEZ!
Read this:
“The board members of the Professional Racers Owners Organization (PRO) wholeheartedly and unanimously support this decision,” said its president Kenny Bernstein. “We want to thank NHRA for listening to our input and suggestions to incorporate these changes. It is not lost on any of us that this constitutes a change in our history of running a quarter-mile, but it's the most immediate adjustment we can make in the interest of safety which is foremost on everyone's mind. This may be a temporary change and we recognize it is not the total answer. We will continue to work hand in hand with NHRA to evaluate other methods of making Top Fuel and Funny Car competition safer so that we might return to our quarter-mile racing standard. We also want to thank Connie Kalitta for his invaluable input. He has been a rock through these difficult times.”

READ IT? UNAMIMOUS MEAN ANYTHING TO YOU?
For those that bemoan the "pussification" of racing, go call Jerry Toliver a puss. Go call Connie Kallitta or Ed McCulloch or Bernie Fedderly a puss.
Try the Pedregons.
When these guys say slow down, ITS TIME TO SLOW DOWN.
Unless you want mid season rule changes to cars, that would require basically all new cars, 1000 ft is the way to go.
It's not a knee jerk reaction to Scotts death, its the cumination of MANY issues, Tires, shut off, chassis failures, costs etc.
It's about time PRO put its collective foot down, It's time to act NOW!
So stop your complaining, stop your second guessing, whining and moaning.
These guys are FUEL RACERS, YOU ARE NOT! Go watch golf!

I am one thats against this. Sue me. I even said in one of my post on the other thread that most of the drivers want this so who am I to disagree. However, just b/c your a fan of the sport doesnt mean you dont know anything. I may only be 28 years old but I've spent all 28 years of my life at a freaking race track. Have I ever driven a top fuel car? Hell no. I dont plan on it either. But you dont have to be a top notch chef to know your toast is burnt either now do you? I respect them, and if thats what they want to do, fine. But that doesnt mean I have to like it or agree with it. And we are all for safety, just slow the cars down and make the shutdowns longer. Period. Dont give us 1000 ft races.

And you know what else, if someone is paying to watch it as a fan of this sport, then they have every damn right to piss and moan and ***** about it. As for calling drivers *****'s, I think we all know that wasnt happening so either reread what was written or quit trying to change the way someone wrote something.

Well off I go, I have a 2:00 tee time..........

If they stick with the times from the current national records it will be:

Top Fuel 1,000ft-3.759

Funny Car 1,000ft-3.980

It is the NHRA though, who knows what they will do next.
That's the most logical way to go about the records.

Hey Brian,
Were you working any of the IHRA races that went 1/8 last year? Just looking for some feedback from the fans/racers at those events. The IHRA seems to be still alive and well.............. :eek:
I went to the San Antonio race with reservations in my mind. I left with a totally different outlook on it all, just as I'm sure most of the naysayers here will. While the lower E.T.'s took a little bit to get used to, the racing was surprisingly the same. Once they get past the grandstands you can't really tell what's going on with the runs anyways. After that race, I totally see where 1000' Nitro Racing will be here to stay.
they don't know how important 1320 is to most fans. that's what they don't know. slow the cars down and run a 1/4 mile. ok? that's a valid opinion whether you like it or not.
Trust me Bob, most will rather see the same cars going 300 mph at 1000' over slower cars going 300 mph at 1320 feet. To say Drag Racing MUST be 1320 feet is the same Old Fart mentality that bashes the import guys and says it MUST be on done 8 cylinders only.:D

To say Drag Racing MUST be 1320 feet is the same Old Fart mentality that bashes the import guys and says it MUST be on done 8 cylinders only.:D[/QUOTE]

Were is the 4cyl racing now? :p
Say what you want about the old farts but NHRA thinks along the same lines about import racing!
There was no money in it and not a very large fanbase which caused it to get axed by Glendora.
I can't remember the last time I saw a event on TV....:rolleyes:

If NHRA wants it and PRO wants it than i'm 100% behind them. They damn sure know more about the situation than anyone on this board.
Lets all wait to see how the next couple of events work out and than make the decision. ;)

The reality of it all is that the drivers want it, and NHRA is listening.
If you cannot support the men and women who risk their lives for your entertainment, perhaps you should look to find something else to spend your $$$$ on.
Study your physics, there are HUGE benefits to be gained from this, SAFETY being # 1.

If you can't see that far, just think of the photos fans can now get of the cars at the finish line and/or with the chutes out..

Meanwhile, I'll be there enjoying fast, competitive, (hopefully safer)
racing....and may the better car/driver/team win...

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back