It's Official: NHRA 1000 Foot For Fuelers in 2009 (1 Viewer)

Sorry but to me, when the owners who are spending millions of dollars to run these cars AND the drivers are risking their lives to drive them are in a majority agreement to run the cars at 1000 feet, I, as a fan, who merely spends a couple of hundred of dollars to go to a few races each year and sits on my fat ass watching the other races on TV with a couple of cold beers will defer to their judgement. I may like 1320' better, but until I invest my own money in one of these cars or strap into one, I am not try and tell them what they should or should not do. I am just going to sit back and appreciate them for doing it.

Another one who doen't get it! The fans are a large reason they get to run these cars no audiance no job pretty simple isn't it?!
They are just as at risk going 1320' or 1000' and if they have no restrictions to slow them down 1000' feet isn't going to make a difference they will keep pushing the envelope then when they start not having enough room then what 1/8th mile?
NASCAR did the same thing when they were going 200+ mph. A lot of the NHRA fans have already said that as long as it's close racing who cares.

Last edited:
The Nostalgia Cars are louder then the current Fuel Cars! The Cackle that I miss so much left when NHRA dropped the nitro percentage years back! :rolleyes:

When they were running low sixes at 240 they had plenty of cackle, some were louder then modern cars! (King Camaro) It would be VERY EASY to slow the cars a bit and have them cackle more then they do now. Limt compression, blower pulley size and take away the clutch timers. As I see it the problem is the NHRA is listening to crew chiefs who are afraid a competitor will get an advantage while they learn what it's gonna take to tune the new combos. There might be a small one time cost to doing this but the costs savings during the year (less cylinder pressure equals less carnage) would offset that. Like someone else said it would take leadership, something Drag Racing is seriously lacking these days.

Those cars also ran much slower then, its not a fair comparrision. Nastalgia cars are not running near the numbers they are now adays and of course 30 years ago didn't see today's times. In order to get them back to 1320 they will take something away. They question is what? Perhaps 1000' is the lesser of two evils.

Hey, I have an idea. Let's leave it up to Obama. He seems to be an expert in sports. Let's see what he has to say about 1320 vs 1000. :eek:

He's already ripped on the bcs in college football. I'm hoping he steps in and fixes our own bcs mess the countdown :D (yes Paul it still sucks, and the tv numbers last year during it showed I wasn't the only one that thought so:p)

We may not agree on everything but being a fellow Dixon fan AND a Black & Gold fan gives you cred in my book!!!
WOOHOO!!!

A Black & Gold fan from SEATTLE??? I bet you're really loved there. :eek:

We can agree to disagree on 1000 feet, but if you are a fan of Dixon and the Stillers, you rule man. Let's divide 320 in half and call it even. :D

He's already ripped on the bcs in college football. I'm hoping he steps in and fixes our own bcs mess the countdown :D (yes Paul it still sucks, and the tv numbers last year during it showed I wasn't the only one that thought so:p)

I agree with Obama about college football. Being from Pennsylvania, I may be partial, but I really think Penn State got screwed in 1994. Win or lose, Penn State and Nebraska should have played each other for the national championship. As far as I'm concerned, there is no champion for that season.

It's a very simple concept it isn't rocket science don't run at tracks that can't accomodate 1320' racing

You just left out Pomona, Norwalk and Englishtown. Are you happy?

If they can stop aircraft that go a hell of a lot faster and are a lot heavier then a Fuel Car they could do it!

Best idea I heard yet. Let's put bungie cords at the end of the track. Too bad the race cars are so low to the ground, that would never work.

If you feel that 1000' is not racing, then fine, no problem, but like I said in a previous post, don't let the door hit you on the way out!!! By the way, 1000' racing does NOT float my boat, but I accept it for the love of the sport and those awesome 8000 horsepower machines.

Seeing how I live close to Pittsburgh, an 80 yard field would not bother me, as long as it's the same for ALL teams and venues. That would just mean that Hines Ward gets down the field that much quicker. :D:D:D

Well I for one certainly don't want to see Hines Ward get down the field that much quicker. :D

While I have attended and seen my last 1000' race, I will certainly continue to attend the Lucus Oil Drag Racing Series events in this region. Sure, that means no nitro, but there's still some pretty good drag racing to be had at these events. I am already making plans to attend the LODRS races at Mission Raceway Park, Woodburn Dragstrip, and perhaps even Yellowstone Drag Strip in Billings, Montana where my parents live. And I will certainly attend a race at Spokane Raceway Park as soon as something is scheduled at that facility (I'd also attend the LODRS at Pacific Raceways if it weren't for the fact that for some reason the NHRA continues to insist on scheduling that race on the same weekend as the Dirt Cup, which is the biggest 410 sprint car race in the Pacific Northwest).

You just left out Pomona, Norwalk and Englishtown. Are you happy?

If they can't accomodate absolutely!
Another alternative is run 1000' at those short tracks but don't make it that way at state of the art facilities with enough shut off room! when I'm in the states my home track is Sonoma one of the Smith tracks no problem there!

Best idea I heard yet. Let's put bungie cords at the end of the track. Too bad the race cars are so low to the ground, that would never work.

Net systems Clueless! I have seen nets stop aircraft without the cable systems dead in their tracks!
If you burry part of the net under ground it won't matter how low they are to the ground but you didn't know that did you?:p
You might want to read Cruz's statement about 1000' instead of 1320' before you go shoot off the mouth again! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I believe that the net and cable use the same water turbine resistance system to safely stop them, anyone on the matter been on a aircraft carrier and know about this system. 1000' or 1320' we need something more than knee jerk logic here, the pro's run twenty first century cars, we the same for safety

I've been to 5 NHRA 1000' races, and while I would LOVE to see 1320 come back I'm content to enjoy 1000'! Since I sit around 100' out at just about every race I go to the difference is minimal! Now for Greg and Mark and Justin I could see why they notice it more sitting at half-track!:rolleyes:

I've been to 5 NHRA 1000' races, and while I would LOVE to see 1320 come back I'm content to enjoy 1000'! Since I sit around 100' out at just about every race I go to the difference is minimal! Now for Greg and Mark and Justin I could see why they notice it more sitting at half-track!:rolleyes:

Same here, I sit at the very start.. with a year between races I was too happy to see them run to the 1000 to remember the full quarter. I guess for the hardcore fan who get to go to every race theres a difference, but although I OF COURSE would rather see the quarter, I'll deal with the change. And with Brainerd being the only one I get to go to, like I've read before the race is only part of the show! Brainerd, 9 beers, only 2 were my own.

Let's just make the Nitro Cars have a Burnout constest. It wouldn't cost near as much, they wouldn't need so many crew people, and the they wouldn't need all the extra parts. You would have a lot more participants since you didn't have to race anymore. I think I just saved a bunch of money too!!!

Dave

Great Idea! then NHRA could pic 3 fans to do all of the judging like at the Monster Jam events for "freestyle"! ;)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back