It's Official: NHRA 1000 Foot For Fuelers in 2009 (1 Viewer)

This kind of reminds me of the debate last year about the Countdown, some are in favor and some are dead against it. I will take the same stance I took on the Countdown, I will support the NHRA and PRO. Indy was my first 1,000 ft race and I still liked the show. If this will help prevent the horror I saw in the stands and on the Motel 6 Vision at E-Town this year, I hope it stays permanent. Since PRO represents the individuals who actually strap themselves into the cars, it is kind of hard to go against what they feel is the best for the sport. I am a fan of the sport and I will continue to support the sport I love. For those who will bail on NHRA, I will believe it when I see it. There were many people who said they will stop supporting the NHRA when the Countdown was initiated and when the new qualifying format was announced, you know what, those same people are still following the sport.

You really believe that?

A pair of 8,000 HP big show engines at 90% -vs- a pair of 3,000 HP nostalgia nitro engines at 95% - 99%... I have been on the starting line standing between both, and both are awesome, but you may need to rethink that statement.

You bet yah! It aint the horespower that makes it louder it's the nitro percentage!
It's funny how everybody over uses the keyboard crew chief label when it has nothing to do with the subject! I'm a paying customer I want 1320 not 1000' very simple!
It's a very simple concept it isn't rocket science don't run at tracks that can't accomodate 1320' racing and with current technology put a restraint system at the end of the track that actually works.
If they can stop aircraft that go a hell of a lot faster and are a lot heavier then a Fuel Car they could do it!
I remember Jim Head even saying that the down side is the cost to the track owners so poney up do what you neeed to do and get it done!

If this will help prevent the horror I saw in the stands and on the Motel 6 Vision at E-Town this year, I hope it stays permanent.

By saying that, you are also saying that there aren't any other viable options open to the NHRA to make their drivers safe at 1,320'.
To which, I totally disagree.
The problem is that it's going to cost more to go a safe 1,320 than it will to run a simple 1000'
That is their mistake. They are trading off the sport's legecy for simplicity.
It's simple and easy to achieve 1000' racing. Fire them up hit the gas and lift. Saves fuel, parts and tires etc. But in this case, they, as the drivers, owners and the NHRA should be reinvesting into their sports heritage, and not take the easy way out.
There are many options, and combination of options available to slow the cars down, while still putting on a great 1,320' show we have all come to expect over the last half century..
Just think of the challenges it presents. The only challenge there is now is to stay awake long enough to see AJ get his trophy.

Last edited:
Sorry but to me, when the owners who are spending millions of dollars to run these cars AND the drivers are risking their lives to drive them are in a majority agreement to run the cars at 1000 feet, I, as a fan, who merely spends a couple of hundred of dollars to go to a few races each year and sits on my fat ass watching the other races on TV with a couple of cold beers will defer to their judgement. I may like 1320' better, but until I invest my own money in one of these cars or strap into one, I am not try and tell them what they should or should not do. I am just going to sit back and appreciate them for doing it.

In Scott Kalitta's case, and correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like the explosion happened "after" 1000 feet. The explosion happens just before he passes the e.t. signs. At E-Town, those signs are 125 feet past the 1320 finish line. I'm judging this on amateur footage taken at the top end. The camera person was right at the signs. I measured the distance past the finish with Google Earth and the signs are indeed 125 past it. If Scott would have shut down at 1000 feet, thus avoiding that particular explosion, would he have survived? That's assuming the explosion either knocked him unconscious or caused the brake and chute failure. Just asking!!!

Sorry to bring up that tragedy, but we are discussing the reasoning for 1000 foot racing.

You nailed it Lee.

I was sitting at exacty 1000' and the car blew up at approx 1100'.

Would it have blown up anyway if Scott lifted off the loud pedal at that 1000' point?

Guess we will never know for sure, but i was sitting right there, I saw what I saw, and I know what I know.

I'm fine with the 1000' distance, probably every Pro racer is for it, and I'll continue to go and enjoy my favorite sport.

I remember back in the early eighties when Doo Koo Kim was killed in the ring by Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini.

It was not intentional, but it was determined the strain and punishment by those extra three rounds (15 in all) was probably the culprit in a rash of boxing injuries.

It was reduced to 12 rounds for championship fights, and has remained the same 'till today.

at the time I remember reading in sports mags that that would be the end of the "sweet science"........well, that was not the case, and since that time the sport has done OK, and certainly did not suffer from the reduction in rounds.

It has been said here before, but to you "1320' or nothing" crybabys, there is the door, watch your ass on the way out.......sorry to see you go:p:rolleyes::)

REX

This kind of reminds me of the debate last year about the Countdown, some are in favor and some are dead against it. I will take the same stance I took on the Countdown, I will support the NHRA and PRO. Indy was my first 1,000 ft race and I still liked the show. If this will help prevent the horror I saw in the stands and on the Motel 6 Vision at E-Town this year, I hope it stays permanent. Since PRO represents the individuals who actually strap themselves into the cars, it is kind of hard to go against what they feel is the best for the sport. I am a fan of the sport and I will continue to support the sport I love. For those who will bail on NHRA, I will believe it when I see it. There were many people who said they will stop supporting the NHRA when the Countdown was initiated and when the new qualifying format was announced, you know what, those same people are still following the sport.

Dittos on everything you wrote Paul.

there is a large difference in seeing it on TV, or reading about it.

BEING there adds that all too terrible equation.

REX

By saying that, you are also saying that there aren't any other viable options open to the NHRA to make their drivers safe at 1,320'.
To which, I totally disagree.
The problem is that it's going to cost more to go a safe 1,320 than it will to run a simple 1000'
That is their mistake. They are trading off the sport's legecy for simplicity.
It's simple and easy to achieve 1000' racing. Fire them up hit the gas and lift. Saves fuel, parts and tires etc. But in this case, they, as the drivers, owners and the NHRA should be reinvesting into their sports heritage, and not take the easy way out.
There are many options, and combination of options available to slow the cars down, while still putting on a great 1,320' show we have all come to expect over the last half century..
Just think of the challenges it presents. The only challenge there is now is to stay awake long enough to see AJ get his trophy.

Tell ya' what, lets see you spend YOUR money, invest YOUR time, and stay away from YOUR home and family, and in addition RISK YOUR LIFE...

Yeah...................No, I didn't think so.

REX

Last edited:
There is a difference between going for "THE SHOW " and going for the race.
If your going for the experience of 8000 hp and the smell and sound then start them in the parking lot. If your going for the race then like has been said 1/4 mile all the way.

SO............

You are a Pro Nitro Racer?

REX

It's like changing a football field to 80 Yards.
A bowling alley to 25'
A hockey rink to 60'.
The home run fence to 40 yards out, and the bases to 20 feet.
Everything that built the history and excitement into achieving each and every record is now gone.
Years of those unachievable numbers that drew in the fans....poooof.
Do you think a fan will identify with a 4.15 quarter mile time slip the same way they did when Eddie hill broke the 4 second limit?
Do you think the fans will even know what's fast and what isn't?
You don't change the foundation of your sport and expect to keep the fans interested.

I couldnt agree more

Sorry but to me, when the owners who are spending millions of dollars to run these cars AND the drivers are risking their lives to drive them are in a majority agreement to run the cars at 1000 feet, I, as a fan, who merely spends a couple of hundred of dollars to go to a few races each year and sits on my fat ass watching the other races on TV with a couple of cold beers will defer to their judgement. I may like 1320' better, but until I invest my own money in one of these cars or strap into one, I am not try and tell them what they should or should not do. I am just going to sit back and appreciate them for doing it.

Aaron, without the fans, the owners and drivers wouldn't have a sport to compete in.

If a driver or team is concerned about their safety with 1320' of racetrack vs a 1.000' racetrack, then they need to re-evaluate their career choice.

Aaron, without the fans, the owners and drivers wouldn't have a sport to compete in.

If a driver or team is concerned about their safety with 1320' of racetrack vs a 1.000' racetrack, then they need to re-evaluate their career choice.

So, ANOTHER Pro fuel racer with his "expert" opinion.

Why NOT just walk up to, say, Toliver, or Connie, or Heck, even Garlits.

SAY it to their FACES.

Don't type it from behind a keyboard.

regards

REX

Last time i checked it wasn't a requirement to be a pro driver to have an opinion on this matter. It is my money paying for the ticket. It is my money buying there shirts and other crap. So because they are millionaires they can dicate what i like and what i should shut and accpet. Thats the problem with this . Same s##t. SHUT UP AND TAKE it because i say so. i can tell ya the same thing . My money will be in my pocket or spent somewhere else.

So, ANOTHER Pro fuel racer with his "expert" opinion.

Why NOT just walk up to, say, Toliver, or Connie, or Heck, even Garlits.

SAY it to their FACES.

Don't type it from behind a keyboard.

regards

REX

Rex, welcome back from your temporary exile :rolleyes:.

I was at Pomona yesterday and did mention it to a few people. Didnt see Garlits there or run into Connie, but next time Im at the track I will make an attempt to seek them out. Oh, wait, Im not going to be back at the track as long as they are running 1,000'

regards

The Nostalgia Cars are louder then the current Fuel Cars! The Cackle that I miss so much left when NHRA dropped the nitro percentage years back! :rolleyes:

What chew been smokin' man? I've seen both many times. The nostalgia cars have a higher pitched cackle, but NO WHERE NEAR the ground shaking thunder, or loudness of the today's top fuel and funny cars. If I'm not mistaken, I believe it's the "volume" of nitro being used, along with the percentage that makes the big thunder and sets off car alarms in the parking lot. That's why we see the huge flames coming out of the header pipes.

A great example of this is Force. What did he do when they lowered the percentage to 85%? If remember correctly, he had bigger fuel pumps put in his cars and it was at 85% that he and Hight were running mid 4.60s. It's the volume man, the volume, in both meanings of volume!!! :D

"I believe it's the "volume" of nitro being used, along with the percentage that makes the big thunder and sets off car alarms in the parking lot."

That's funny, they've been setting off car alarms for over 20 years. Just what was the national record in say 1988, 4.90's at 290? So as long as they set off car alarms that's what's important? I think most of us who want to see 1/4 mile racing think that they could trim the performance a little (4.7 @ 305) with out losing the thunder or excitement. This is preferable to having 2 seperate finish lines and would reduce the costs of running one of these monsters at the same time. Performance limiting the cars is the intelligent answer for the long term future. If they leave them as is they'll be blowing up before 1,000 feet and running 330 within a few years, then what 1/8 mile? As far as fans not having a right to voice their opinions, people need to check who's paying the bills. No fans, no sponsors, no races. Also if the current crop of owners and drivers don't want to run the 1/4 mile I'll bet there's a bunch of others who'l take their place.

I wouldn't be so sure of yourself. People are always going to race...especially nitro cars. You probably wouldn't see the money that is spent to race these cars(which might be a good thing), but rest assured as the day you were born, there would be someone racing nitro cars somewhere.

There is a difference between going for "THE SHOW " and going for the race.
If your going for the experience of 8000 hp and the smell and sound then start them in the parking lot. If your going for the race then like has been said 1/4 mile all the way.

I've been watching drag racing since 1966 when my brother used to race F/S. The closest track was Skyline Dragstrip which was about 5 miles west of New Castle. It was a 1/5 mile track. The next closest track was Sunset Dragstrip near Mercer which still exists and is only 1/8 of a mile. The nearest 1320 track is Quaker City which is in Ohio. Are you saying those shorter tracks aren't racing??? Sunset has been around for nearly 45 years. Should they shut it down because anything short of 1320 isn't real racing? Excuse me if I'm mistaken but if you look up the definition of drag racing, it's a contest in acceleration starting from a dead stop. Why does it have to be 1320? In fact, the shorter tracks put the drivers more into play. If you're late, you lose. If you want to see something really hairy, watch Pro Mods at 1/8 mile tracks. They set those things to kill. I admire your stand on tradition, but in grass roots racing, the tradition hasn't always been 1320.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer 1320, but I'm not spoiled on it. I'm fine with 1000 feet if that's what the NHRA needs to do. By the way, I believe it's the "SHOW" that's putting many people in the stands. An example is Norwalk's "Night Under Fire." The facility is so congested it's elbow to elbow people throughout, and last summer they raced them to 1000 feet. Drop the fuel cars to 3000 HP to accommodate 1320? What will happen then???

I don't know.....I guess I'm a fan of muscle cars. The fuelers are the ultimate muscle cars. :D:D:D

Hey, I have an idea. Let's leave it up to Obama. He seems to be an expert in sports. Let's see what he has to say about 1320 vs 1000. :eek:

(yeah, I know....I'm the hydrant again :D)

I can answer those question. When you went to those tracks you knew you were racing 1/5 mile or 1/8 mile or whatever the racing distance was. I have been to quaker, norwalk, meander(when it was around) and I believe the other track was sharon. When they had a strip there. When you go to Norwalk Night under Fire you know as well as i do it is a show. It is a race in the sense we are not racing for trophy or points more for bragging rights. They are paid to be there . It is just what Bill Bader jr says it is every year. We are going to put on a show for you fans tonight. It is not a race or teams would be putting alot more emphasis no it. I heard while standing in line John Force tell fans that asked him about night under fire. He said well we use it as a test and we try to win for bragging rights. Just because they are shorter distances does lessen the race WHEN YOU KNOW GOING INTO IT IS 1/8 MILE or 1/5 mile. All nhra drag RACES have been based on 1/4 mile in the pro series and sportsman series. Unless you knew going in it was shorter distance.
Difference exhibition for show money paid to put on show and bragging rights.
Race : money paid to show up and qualify and beat your opponent for bragging rights money and points to be the champ at the end of year.

Big difference as far as I am concerned. Since i am not a pro nitro driver and i am only a fan that pays to watch an ACTUAL race. My opinion doesn't count.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back