It's Official: NHRA 1000 Foot For Fuelers in 2009 (1 Viewer)

Dave,

I hope people pay attention to this part of the announcement. I hope the Fuel categories will go back to 1320 feet with engines that stay together and are easier on parts-easier on parts means lower costs for racing, just as 1,000 foot racing is easier on parts and therefore also means lower cost racing.

They won't. They'll just b*tch and moan and knee-jerk to the main part of it. I really can't believe how unbelievably selfish some people are about all of this.

I've got a feeling that the determining factor will be what kind of pinch they are feeling at the gate. If people continue to show up, 1K will probably be here to stay. If there are more empty seats and NHRA membership is down then there will be a better chance of returning to 1320.

I hope people stand up to this.

I would hope NHRA would stand up to that and puts the competitors safety ahead of a bunch of so-called "fans". I'd be FAR more dissapointed if NHRA changed back just to put the bottom line ahead of their competitors.

AMEN and HALLELUJAH!!!!:D Finally the NHRA got one right!!!!:)

And what happens when another one dies at 1000'? And it will, then what, 1/8 mile and the death of the sport?
If the NHRA mandates rule changes so they can go back to 1320' all the pros will have no choice if they want to keep racing won't they?
If they stay at 1000' they know they are going to take a hit and they are very leary about making it permanent otherwise they would do it and end all the speculation it's pretty obvious isn't it?
They are at a crossroads we've seen the polls I'm sure they have and what the fans favor.
I'm still waiting for the concrete decission then I will decide what I want to do.

I've got a feeling that the determining factor will be what kind of pinch they are feeling at the gate. If people continue to show up, 1K will probably be here to stay. If there are more empty seats and NHRA membership is down then there will be a better chance of returning to 1320.
If the economy doesn't take a turn soon, there will be huge pinches at the gates, and it won't be because of the length of the race track. NHRA has alot more to worry about than this.

Let's just make the Nitro Cars have a Burnout constest. It wouldn't cost near as much, they wouldn't need so many crew people, and the they wouldn't need all the extra parts. You would have a lot more participants since you didn't have to race anymore. I think I just saved a bunch of money too!!!

Dave

I'm surprised they didn't move all the pros and alky back as well. Not that I'm in favor of it but it would seem to make sense to have all the pros run the same length. Also there has been concern over how fast the bikes are going. In the case of alky I wouldn't think they would want the little brothers running mph that is getting closer now that the nitro boys are running shorter.

I would much prefer 1320' or at least having it at the tracks that can support it. However if to do that they would make some costly and or bad rule changes then 1000' may be the lesser fo two evils.

I'm all for safety but the main thing that needs to be understood is that they are racing and racing fast. If something happens at 1000' what happens then? I know thats the age old slippery slope arguement but it is a concern.

I wonder if insurance companies have pushed for this.

I've seen 1000' live, wasn't my favorite thing but I can live with it. (1/8 is another story). Wont effect my membership as I dropped that with the countdown.

Lance,

Well spoken like a true Louisiana fan. There's a whole lot to the racing picture today in all forms of motorsports...and the length of the race in all types has little bearing.

Take care...will actually tread on LA soil in about a month, my wife's family get together at Christmas time.

Stay well...and the Gator Raider forever...Tinker Toy as well...wish I had gotten both of them!!!

MaC

Anybody who thinks Scott would have lived if the racing was only 1000'. I implore you, hop in a Flopper, go to E-Town, drive it to 1000', shut it off and coast with no brakes and no chute, run into a pole and the TV truck. Let's see how you fare.

Dave

Vote the only way that will get noticed. Either go to race at 1000ft. or not go and see if they pay attention to box office bottom line. They must know that many of us would be happy with slower cars at 1320. We all want it to be safer , its a matter of how that safety is brought about.

For all you 1320 diehards,....don't let the door hit you on the way out.

"Give me fuel, give me fire" I don't care if it's only 1000 feet. With my middle aged vision, I can't see much further than that anyways. :p Just don't take ground shaking horsepower away from these magnificent machines and I'll be happy. I'd rather have the full 8000hp than the extra 320 feet.

If that extra 320 means that much to some, then watch top alcohol. Afterall, that's what top fuel will become if they slow them down. JMHO

NHRA's gotta do what they think is best at the moment.....go or don't to the races, it's your choice and your money....we'll see what happens

you wanna see nitro go 1320 and have a good time?....go to a Nostalgia race!

You all need to grow up! If you don't want to come watch the races because its 320 feet less then don't come, I'm sure we won't miss you. I go to these races because I love watching the sport...it doesn't make that big of a difference to make me sit at home and cry over it...geez.

I go to these races because I love watching the sport...it doesn't make that big of a difference to make me sit at home and cry over it...geez.

I'm with Mikaela here. I'd prefer the 1320' but it doesn't affect my love for the sport. As for those who say the 1000' is less costly on parts, you sure couldn't prove that by the number of engine expirations at Vegas. They'll all eventually figure out a way to blow 'em up at 1000'. It's just the nature of the beast.

Thats right I wake up each day and everytime i turn on a race or i am at the track i am just hoping a racing hero dies. GROW up !!! Lets change the rules everytime something gets to expensive because of there own doing. Like has already been said What happens when the next accident is at 1000 ft ?

I have enough stickers on my car bearing the names of race car drivers. I'm fine with 1000 feet and will be at Etown all three days in 2009.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back