It's Official: NHRA 1000 Foot For Fuelers in 2009 (1 Viewer)

wonder if the horse racing world will follow suite.......
........will they call them '1000 footer horses'?

i'm surprised - initially i thought 1/4 mile nitro racing would return.

For all you 1320 diehards,....don't let the door hit you on the way out.

"Give me fuel, give me fire" I don't care if it's only 1000 feet. With my middle aged vision, I can't see much further than that anyways. :p Just don't take ground shaking horsepower away from these magnificent machines and I'll be happy. I'd rather have the full 8000hp than the extra 320 feet.

If that extra 320 means that much to some, then watch top alcohol. Afterall, that's what top fuel will become if they slow them down. JMHO

I'd still go to nearby Bristol and pay full price to watch fuelers run if it was on the 1/8 mile. I guess my line is somewhere between there and 60ft. :D

You all need to grow up! If you don't want to come watch the races because its 320 feet less then don't come, I'm sure we won't miss you. I go to these races because I love watching the sport...it doesn't make that big of a difference to make me sit at home and cry over it...geez.

NHRA will newbie! :cool:
I only cry for people I care about not a sport Mickey!
And look at the polls apparently more people feel the way we do rather than you!
So if those polls are any indication the sport you love will evaporate right before your eye's!
Thank god they still are at 1320 downunder!

Last edited:
NHRA's gotta do what they think is best at the moment.....go or don't to the races, it's your choice and your money....we'll see what happens

you wanna see nitro go 1320 and have a good time?....go to a Nostalgia race!

I already do I love the Nostalgia races and it's growing at a faster rate than the Powerade series! :D
I also love Drag Boats a lot more exciting than the NHRA that's for sure! ;)

My biggest beef with 1,000' racing?

No national records, no official track records.

My biggest beef with slowing them down..

No more national records, no new track records.

Totally removing the chance for someone to go quicker or faster than ever before bothers me.

I am all for the safety improvements (only an idiot wouldn't be), but if they decide to stay at 1,000', and don't address the national record side of it, they might lose my money.

Re: PRO Supports 1,000ft in 2009

Well if that is the case, they just saved me a bunch of money

Same here. I'm done. Just glad that notice was given prior to receiving a ticket renewal. I'll be more than happy to spend my money watching winged sprint cars instead

Would you rather see your racing heroes die?

Did that extra 320 feet of shut down save Eric or Darrell :(

We don't even know if 3000' would or could have saved Scott.

Wrong approach on every level. :mad:

I haven't watched a race since that day and I will not until they return to 1320

Would prefer 1,320 but any nitro is better than no nitro. I just sent in my ticket renewals for G-ville and plan on having a good time as any other time at a nationals.

Besides, they did say a return to 1,320 is possible.

No leadership, no backbone, no pelotas. The bunch on Financial Way appears to be playing defense and they will probably be playing defense all the way to insignificance. Hey Tom, if everyone in your office tells you its raining and you never leave the office to look at the sky, does that mean its wet outside?

Member 190716 thinks you continue to make very bad decisions. And what's this $10 to park on Thursdays stuff. And tell AAA they inhale liquid from a straw because their Redlands outlet didn't know anything about the ticket deal. ADRL is looking better every day.

Mark

Guys and Dolls relax....

Most of us keyboard crewchiefs have never been strapped in a late model nitro car...EVERY man and woman grabbin' a butterfly for a living WANTS 1000 feet....WHO are we MATERs to deny them.....:confused:...Alan,Coil, et al...HATE 1320 rev-limit tuning and racing.....?

...Still havent seen bleechers past a 1000 except the fairgrounds...and The Burkster said it best....BEST seat on the Planet...LVMS...wooden bleachers...1000 feet....nuf said...:p

Would prefer 1,320 but any nitro is better than no nitro. I just sent in my ticket renewals for G-ville and plan on having a good time as any other time at a nationals.

Besides, they did say a return to 1,320 is possible.

....You got it dude...!!!....:cool:

I already do I love the Nostalgia races and it's growing at a faster rate than the Powerade series! :D
I also love Drag Boats a lot more exciting than the NHRA that's for sure! ;)

Drag Boats more exciting then NHRA? What have you been smoking. If I wasnt working on a boat I wouldnt be @ a boat race, NOT very spectator friendly kinda like watching paint dry.

At least there will be 1320 @ the nostalgia races.

The economy is in the toilet, sponsors are pulling out right and left and all some of you are concerned about, a lousy 320 feet? Sheesh!!! :rolleyes:

How about the drivers themselves? They have little if any control at all in this matter. Are you going to abandon them too? That's silly. I'm more concerned about Hillary Will keeping her ride than I am the fuelers racing 320 feet less. I'm also interested in the funny car points battle, whether it's 1000 feet or 1320.

All of a sudden, to some of you, ANYTHING is better than the Powerade/Full Throttle series. Let me get this straight, so far drag boats, sprint cars, nostalgia cars, ADRL, and Austrailian drag racing has been mentioned as better than the NHRA. I probably missed a few. Did Nascar get mentioned yet? IRL? How about RC cars? Mongolian Ricshaw Racing?

Thanks for the suggestions, but I'll stick with the NHRA!!! ;)

I do agree on one thing though. If 1000 feet becomes final, ....then they should reinstate the national records and make it retroactive, which would make Schumacher and Hight the record holders at the moment.

JMHO, ....(I'm probably the "hydrant" in this one...LOL)

Even if they stay a 1000', they still need a better catch system, One that could be taken to all tracks and set on common mounts, I like the type that can catch an apx 28000 lb. jet on a carrier with little damage to plane or pilot, correct me if I am wrong but didn't Scotts car blow at 1000', win lights would not have shut his car down, I believe if he had hit a net like this he would still be with us, 1000' or 1320', We need a real net system, if all NHRA tracks split the cost of the net and poured the footings it would not be that much, went to Vegas Race, the 1000' did not bother me as much as I thought it would, just don't see how win lights at 1000' are going to stop something like Scotts crash,or a similar type of accident from happing again, for the record I still like 1320', but will agree with the pro teams choice, it's there butt in the seats

In Scott Kalitta's case, and correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like the explosion happened "after" 1000 feet. The explosion happens just before he passes the e.t. signs. At E-Town, those signs are 125 feet past the 1320 finish line. I'm judging this on amateur footage taken at the top end. The camera person was right at the signs. I measured the distance past the finish with Google Earth and the signs are indeed 125 past it. If Scott would have shut down at 1000 feet, thus avoiding that particular explosion, would he have survived? That's assuming the explosion either knocked him unconscious or caused the brake and chute failure. Just asking!!!

Sorry to bring up that tragedy, but we are discussing the reasoning for 1000 foot racing.

Would you rather see your racing heroes die?

Todd, the word hero is a very powerful word. You usally find such great people at Military bases, Fire Stations, Police Stations, yet they can be your neighbor who donates a kidney to save a life, or pulls a child to the side of the road to keep the child from getting hit by an on coming car. Heros protect and save lives, while risking their own lives at the same time. Race car drivers, risk their lives while driving race cars and believe me they know the danger is there, but are they saving your life while doing it? No, the question is could you live without these race car drivers? Yes, your life will go on. Race car drivers entertain us, like other sport figures, singers, actors and actresses. Are the race car drivers entertainment more dangerous than the other sport figures, singers, actors and actresses, yes and they know that. Heros, lets hope we never have to use them, but it's great to know their there for us. Think about that, next time you drive past a Police Station, Fire House or Military Base. They are the true heros of this world!!!

All of a sudden, to some of you, ANYTHING is better than the Powerade/Full Throttle series. Let me get this straight, so far drag boats, sprint cars, nostalgia cars, ADRL, and Austrailian drag racing has been mentioned as better than the NHRA. I probably missed a few. Did Nascar get mentioned yet? IRL? How about RC cars? Mongolian Ricshaw Racing?

Thanks for the suggestions, but I'll stick with the NHRA!!! ;)

I'm a racing fan. That means that drag racing and the NHRA are not the only forms of racing that I watch and follow. There's an excellent dirt track not more than ten minutes from where I live that offers great racing. Moreover, I enjoy attending the Dirt Cup and the World of Outlaws races every bit as much as I do the NHRA Northwest Nationals.

But, for the record, I wouldn't attend a baseball game if the powers-that-be shortened the base paths to 70 feet nor would I attend a football game if the field was shortened to 80 yards. But to each his own. I'm sure that there are those out there that feel that Arena football is essentially the same game as the NFL. If 1000' drag racing floats your boat, then who am I to disagree? It's just not for me.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back