1000ft drag racing in Denver (1 Viewer)

Re: Why is 1000 ft even an issue?

Bob, than what Possessed them to run on these death traps over the years? Was E-Town a safer track last year or in '06? No one forced these guys to run, they choose to! This is pandering...
Joe, 1000-foot racing has been discussed for several years - it's not a new idea. I believe Scott's death was the last straw. Something had to be done and it had to be something that could be done quickly, before insurance carriers started to refuse coverage for nitro racing as they did for rocket cars.

If it was up to me, the change to 1000' racing for nitro cars would be permanent (while keeping it at 1320 for the slower classes). Couple that with adding another 200 feet of real sand trap at the end of the track (in front of the existing sand traps so no additional real estate needs to be available) and putting at least two catch nets in the sand traps would go a long way toward preventing the kind of tragedy that happened at E-Town. I've see a lot of cars take a trip into the sand, but never have I seen one hit it at the speed that Scott's did. His engine explosion at 1200' was what started the chain of events that lead to his accident. I don't want to see that happen to another driver. I also don't want to see the cars slowed down. Reducing the racing surface by 320 feet will only scrub .5-.7 seconds from ET's, keeping these machines the quickest accelerating vehicles in motorsports, while also removing some of the risk potential that has been been increasing year after year.

I absolutely hate it when a driver dies in competition. When Carrie Neal died at Sonoma in 1997, I almost quit working in drag racing. That was the toughest event I've ever worked. I never before felt so helpless, watching her from the tower, yelling "shut it off! shut it off!" The feeling in my gut and my heart was almost too much to bear, and I was ready to walk away from the sport and never look back. Scott's crash brought back some of the memories of that day, and I'm sure many who were at E-Town felt just like I did in Sonoma.

I want the sport to continue. I want to continue to work within it. I value the opinions of those in charge of making rules decisions, especially and particularly when those decisions are with the full support and endorsement of the drivers and team owners. Throwing a blanket label of "zealots" over everyone involved in making these decisions does not serve you well.

All of that said, if 1000' nitro racing is enough of a change to cause you to walk away from the sport as a fan, that is most certainly your choice. ...but I believe you will be missing some terrific racing by doing so.

See ya next week,

Bob

I wonder when the teams and the NHRA were discussing this change did anyone in the room pose the question, will the fans accept shortening the drag strip by a quarter of the distance? There’s no doubt in my mind that shortening the track will make things safer, but at the possible expense of losing customers. I’m done attending nhra events and I know I’m only one person, but It will interesting to see what the attendance figures will be like for the rest of the year, hopefully enuff fans will show their disapproval and convince them to invest in making the shutdown areas safer rather than taking the cheap way out. :mad:

I wonder when the teams and the NHRA were discussing this change did anyone in the room pose the question, will the fans accept shortening the drag strip by a quarter of the distance? There’s no doubt in my mind that shortening the track will make things safer, but at the possible expense of losing customers. I’m done attending nhra events and I know I’m only one person, but It will interesting to see what the attendance figures will be like for the rest of the year, hopefully enuff fans will show their disapproval and convince them to invest in making the shutdown areas safer rather than taking the cheap way out. :mad:

See ya, don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out. This is about helping keep drivers SAFE!!! Would you rather see the NHRA ignore this problem just to keep you in the seats. This is what the drivers want and we should RESPECT their wishes. Trust me, just like the people who said they would stop going to the NHRA races because of the Countdown, the sport will continue with or without you.

Why does everyone assume a new tuneup is needed?
Aren't the motors up against the rev limiter at 1000 ft anyway?
Isn't that last 320 feet just running the limiter and trying to time that .5 or whatever second before the thing grenades?
I usually sit at about 1000 ft, most boomers seem to occur at just past that point ( though not all).
I'm hardly a crew chief, so what do I know, but it sure seems like most parts eating happens between 1000 and 1320 feet.
Some tracks can't be lengthened, Pomona is one of them. I'd sure rather see 1000 ft than shut that place down!

Gary - very well said. Finish line speeds are way down and we keep hearing drivers complain about spinning tires at the top end. It's still going to be about getting off the line and (unfortunately) making it through the transition from concrete to asphalt. This could result in better racing and a huge reduction in parts attrition.
Ex wife v.2 and friends will be at the Denver race - I'm going to be very interested to hear their impressions of the fan experience!

See ya, don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out. This is about helping keep drivers SAFE!!! Would you rather see the NHRA ignore this problem just to keep you in the seats. This is what the drivers want and we should RESPECT their wishes. Trust me, just like the people who said they would stop going to the NHRA races because of the Countdown, the sport will continue with or without you.

that's really not a helpful attitude. if the drivers want to have a club and race for and with each other, then that's fine to think that way.
if you want people to spend hundreds of dollars on tickets, overpriced hotel rooms , gas, and everything else it takes for most of us to get to one of these races, then you need to care what the fans think.

I don't know how you can say what you said. We don't want NHRA to ignore anything. We want them to fix the real problem.

what kind of business has that attitude towards it's customers? Don't let the door hit you in the ass?

Nice.

Well, u completely missed the point i was tryin' to make paul m. but Thanks anyway for puttin’ me in my place, because I was certainly convinced that if I didn’t show up at the races, this would surely bring the nhra to its knees. :rolleyes:

I had lunch with a couple of crew chiefs and a driver today. All 3 agree with the idea and have a wait and see attitude. They are expecting 3.80s on good tracks with speeds at 300. I am all for the change as well.

I was at e-town and it was the worst race I have ever been to in over 20 years of going to races. I hope I never have to see another racer die.

I would venture a guess that if you turned off the scoreboards, 99% of fans wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a 1000 and 1320 run.

I have mostly stayed out of this because I really don't think my opinion matters in the long run on this issue anyway. BUT, sometimes I just feel the need to put my two cents worth in.

When did someone's pleasure become more important than someone's life. Oh wait, I forgot about the Roman Empire, the Aztec civilization, and a few other eras that come to mind. So back that up. Besides, this is racing and has nothing to do with a civilization's moral code, does it?

Morally how can a person say this is a bad decision if it will possibly prevent tragedy in the future? How can you say you hate it if you haven't experienced it? How can you possibly look someone in the eye and say, I don't care if you live or die?

Ok, that may all be a little dramatic. The point is that it is all well and good to have an opinion, but to make it an opinion worth listening to, shouldn't you consider experience first?

Englishtown has long been known to be dangerous. Many tracks have long been known to have insufficient space or grading or surfaces to support 300+ speeds. We have all been raised to know that racing is dangerous. I no grudge against anyone who has decided that their life should be valuable. I also believe that my life is not more or less valuable than anyone else's, so I won't say anything further on this except that keeping an open mind might be beneficial to everyone.

I have mostly stayed out of this because I really don't think my opinion matters in the long run on this issue anyway. BUT, sometimes I just feel the need to put my two cents worth in.

When did someone's pleasure become more important than someone's life. Oh wait, I forgot about the Roman Empire, the Aztec civilization, and a few other eras that come to mind. So back that up. Besides, this is racing and has nothing to do with a civilization's moral code, does it?

Morally how can a person say this is a bad decision if it will possibly prevent tragedy in the future? How can you say you hate it if you haven't experienced it? How can you possibly look someone in the eye and say, I don't care if you live or die?

Ok, that may all be a little dramatic. The point is that it is all well and good to have an opinion, but to make it an opinion worth listening to, shouldn't you consider experience first?

Englishtown has long been known to be dangerous. Many tracks have long been known to have insufficient space or grading or surfaces to support 300+ speeds. We have all been raised to know that racing is dangerous. I no grudge against anyone who has decided that their life should be valuable. I also believe that my life is not more or less valuable than anyone else's, so I won't say anything further on this except that keeping an open mind might be beneficial to everyone.

Well said!

I saw Hagan's name on the Wikipedia page of racing accidents. Carlton was not on the list. . Carlton died in a testing accident in 77,not an event as stated in the LA article. Sure glad Bruce didn't make the list. Can't blame him for retiring.

Last edited:
Re: Why is 1000 ft even an issue?

Joe, 1000-foot racing has been discussed for several years - it's not a new idea. I believe Scott's death was the last straw. Something had to be done and it had to be something that could be done quickly, before insurance carriers started to refuse coverage for nitro racing as they did for rocket cars.

If it was up to me, the change to 1000' racing for nitro cars would be permanent (while keeping it at 1320 for the slower classes). Couple that with adding another 200 feet of real sand trap at the end of the track (in front of the existing sand traps so no additional real estate needs to be available) and putting at least two catch nets in the sand traps would go a long way toward preventing the kind of tragedy that happened at E-Town. I've see a lot of cars take a trip into the sand, but never have I seen one hit it at the speed that Scott's did. His engine explosion at 1200' was what started the chain of events that lead to his accident. I don't want to see that happen to another driver. I also don't want to see the cars slowed down. Reducing the racing surface by 320 feet will only scrub .5-.7 seconds from ET's, keeping these machines the quickest accelerating vehicles in motorsports, while also removing some of the risk potential that has been been increasing year after year.

I absolutely hate it when a driver dies in competition. When Carrie Neal died at Sonoma in 1997, I almost quit working in drag racing. That was the toughest event I've ever worked. I never before felt so helpless, watching her from the tower, yelling "shut it off! shut it off!" The feeling in my gut and my heart was almost too much to bear, and I was ready to walk away from the sport and never look back. Scott's crash brought back some of the memories of that day, and I'm sure many who were at E-Town felt just like I did in Sonoma.

I want the sport to continue. I want to continue to work within it. I value the opinions of those in charge of making rules decisions, especially and particularly when those decisions are with the full support and endorsement of the drivers and team owners. Throwing a blanket label of "zealots" over everyone involved in making these decisions does not serve you well.

All of that said, if 1000' nitro racing is enough of a change to cause you to walk away from the sport as a fan, that is most certainly your choice. ...but I believe you will be missing some terrific racing by doing so.

See ya next week,

Bob

Well than thank god your not in charge and Drag Boat racing is a nice alternative!

While I too would prefer 1/4 mile action and something else to slow and make them safer. I don't think 1000' will be that big of a deal. It will just take some time get used to.

In the end I ask is my entertainment more important than a driver risking their life for another 320'. Of course not.

My guess is my Pomona next year all classes will be running 1000'.

If the drivers can LIVE with it9and thats the important part) than I can too

I don't know if anybody caught the latest Sportsnation poll on ESPN.com. I would think that this poll would be more indicative of what the casual fan is thinking on this issue. I was kind of surprised, I didn't think as many people would be opposed to it.

ESPN - Racing Schedule, News, Results, and Drivers - Motorsports

I hear ya but some people think that won't matter! The hell it won't!
If it stay's consistant NHRA will have no choice but to implement Dale's alternative which is the way to go.
Keep the 1000' foot rule so NHRA doesn't go broke until they do enough testing which by Dale's estimate would be a couple of races then the integrity of the sport can continue in a safe and controlled manner.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back