1000ft drag racing in Denver (1 Viewer)

Re: Why is 1000 ft even an issue?

AwJeez.jpg

Last edited:

Gary I never called any driver a *****! The term "Pussification" refers to the zealots who feel they know what's best for the fans and drivers alike! Jim Head couldn't wait to jump on a microphone to say how he's been pushing for these changes all along, and NHRA just wouldn't listen, That's total BS! :confused:

330 MPH never kept Jim Head out of the driver's seat in the past, yet without any idea what so ever as to what Caused Scott's death he's all over it! That's self serving!

Not to argue the 1000' issue but we were told that Pro was in support of the countdown too, yet behind the scenes it was a much different story.................
How much different PJ? What really happed behind the scenes?

The reality of it all is that the drivers want it, and NHRA is listening.
If you cannot support the men and women who risk their lives for your entertainment, perhaps you should look to find something else to spend your $$$$ on.
Study your physics, there are HUGE benefits to be gained from this, SAFETY being # 1.

If you can't see that far, just think of the photos fans can now get of the cars at the finish line and/or with the chutes out..

Meanwhile, I'll be there enjoying fast, competitive, (hopefully safer)
racing....and may the better car/driver/team win...

I wonder why they don't get the same quick response from NHRA for the increased payouts that PRO want's! ;)

Gary I never called any driver a *****! The term "Pussification" refers to the zealots who feel they know what's best for the fans and drivers alike! Jim Head couldn't wait to jump on a microphone to say how he's been pushing for these changes all along, and NHRA just wouldn't listen, That's total BS! :confused:

330 MPH never kept Jim Head out of the driver's seat in the past, yet without any idea what so ever as to what Caused Scott's death he's all over it! That's self serving!

I wonder if Jim is volunteering his services or getting paid good point Joe!

What's interesting is from 2002-2006 when Head was running part time, he ran Englishtown every one of those years, and this year as well, things that make you go hmmmm

What's interesting is from 2002-2006 when Head was running part time, he ran Englishtown every one of those years, and this year as well, things that make you go hmmmm

Come on - What does Jim have to gain. This man has been innovating and pushing safety all along.

Come on - What does Jim have to gain. This man has been innovating and pushing safety all along.

My point is that if he felt that strongly about Raceway Park not being safe, nobody forced him race there. He owns his own car, doesn't have a sponsor to answer to, and wasn't chasing points those seasons.

My point is that if he felt that strongly about Raceway Park not being safe, nobody forced him race there. He owns his own car, doesn't have a sponsor to answer to, and wasn't chasing points those seasons.

True, that's why he said he will take the regret to his grave...

We've all been put through an emotional wringer with three deaths in the past four years, and I sure as hell don't want to go thru this anymore. If 1000' racing will give an extra 640' of shutdown and if that's what the drivers and teams want, then who am I to tell them it's a bad idea?
I agree that the crew chiefs are going to throw all they can into a 1000' run instead of a 1320' run, but a track will still only take so much horsepower before it goes up in smoke. What I think will happen is that we'll still see the same racing to the 1/8 mile, but the crew chiefs will be trying to push the envelope in the last 340' but that doesn't leave much track to get after it. When Doug Kalitta ran the 4.420 in Chicago in 2004, and the Sarge ran his 4.428 at the Finals in 2006, their incrementals at 330' were within .006 and within .001 at both half track and 1000' Doug Kalitta, Chicago 2004
Sarge Pomona 2006. Given the numbers here, that only leaves about 3/4 of a second to get more agressive on the back quarter.

Sorry if this has been mentioned somewhere in the previous dozen pages or so but what are they going to do about MPH @ 1000' ? They will have to add another set of cones 60ft. before the 1000 ft. cones now.

There will be so many sets of timing blocks and cones down there all the sportsman racers will be lost !!

Sorry if this has been mentioned somewhere in the previous dozen pages or so but what are they going to do about MPH @ 1000' ? They will have to add another set of cones 60ft. before the 1000 ft. cones now.

There will be so many sets of timing blocks and cones down there all the sportsman racers will be lost !!
Trooper with a radar gun???

somebody just died performing for all of us.
please, have some compassion and discipline to recognize that
there will be changes; possibly short-term, possibly long-term, but
nevertheless changes for safety's sake.

i would cast a vote for high 4 sec. runs @ around 290-300mph;
also like bob cole's statement regarding 'slower acceleration'.

I went down to old town in kissimmee florida a couple of years ago. they have a drag racing ride there. you get in a car, and mash the pedal. There's no steering, but you do control the throttle . it goes from 0 -120 and it's over in just over 2 seconds.
I backed up , and they said ' go again now for 10 bucks' It cost I think 35 for the first run so that would be a good deal. I said no thanks get me out.
The accelleration was thrilling. I 've been over 100 before in my rx-8 but the speed isn't what is hard on you. It's the rate of accelleration.

I got out of that car and staggered around old town for the next half hour waiting for the blood to flow back into my face.

I don't know how they do it.

This 1000' deal changes very little. It sounds good to the uninitiated. I'm sure the drivers are taking it because it's all they are going to get in the short term.

But I can't believe that race car drivers wouldn't rather drive a little longer at a speed that gave them a little control back.

Al Hofmann endorsed the G-Force ride in Old Town Florida. He had said it was equal to an alcohol funny car launch. He loved it, said it was so close to the real thing. Drag racing is all about the starting line. alhofmanntribute.com

I don't mean to be anal, but it's not really 640' of extra shutdown, it is 320' of extra shutdown from a slower speed.

Yes and no. While the track will be 320' shorter the net gain will be double in that they will be accelerating for 320' less as well as having that extra 320' to stop. yes the tape measure will still say 320'. So it slows them down and gives them more room to stop

There are two separate issues here and unfortunately they don't exactly meet up.

From a racers point of view, I don't care where the finish line is, just tell me what point I need to get to first to beat you and then let's get after it. If that's 1000', 777' or whatever due to safety then so be it. I'm still up for racing you. That's how I would view it.

From a fan's point of view I certainly understand the tradition of 1320. It's what I learned to race on and grew up with and all I know. But hey, the drivers want this and it's their butt in the seat and they have the last say to me. If the captain of an airliner came to the gate and said "This plane is unsafe and there is a pretty good chance we'll crash so I'm not gonna fly it today" I don't think any of us would put a gun to his head.

All I know is that 1320 ft, 1000 ft, 330 ft...whatever it is Im still going to watch because I love drag racing. I love it too much to watch another person be injured or killed because they didnt have enough room etc, so whatever NHRA decides to do I'll back them up 100% as long as we still get to watch some racing. The good side to this is that less parts ruined and less nitro used....more competitors...double the fun! ;)

Mikaela's point of view matches mine pretty closely and I also think maybe this opens the window for other tuners to excell. Like Jim Head said Prock is faster to 1000 than everyone but just can't make it run that last 300 ft. Maybe there are more than him and it will make an already close show even closer.

In my line of work we do a lot of component testing and we find that many times it's not how high the stress is that causes the failure but how long something stays above a certain stress level. When you are dealing with failure, 7/10ths of a second can be an eternity. They will still go over 300 mph at 1000 ft but they will not stay at that stress level for as long as they would in 1320 ft and for now that helps a lot.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back