1000ft drag racing in Denver (2 Viewers)

Does anyone honestly believe that the crewchiefs are going to leave their 1320 ft tuneups in the cars?They're still going to be trying to get the car to the 1000ft mark as quick as possible.The engine carnage maybe reduced for a short while,but not for long.I'm thinking this has been on the backburner for awhile,perhaps the concerns over the longevity of the slicks at speeds over 300 is being addressed under the guise of preventing shutdown area accidents.Why not have two different track lengths? A full 1320 for those tracks with long shutdown areas and 1000 ft for the known problem tracks?In my opinion there has been alot of exciting racing in that final 320 ft...and the ability to walk the tightrope between engine failure or winning is one of the more exciting aspects of watching fuel racing.

How would you like to attend the event, and say a team boycott took place, and you got to see no NITRO racing at all ?

Or worse...how would you like to go to a race, see them run the full 1320 and see another driver get killed. I was at Englishtown and Scott Kalitta's crash was the first fatal crash I have ever seen. I want it to be the last.

Watching drivers race expensive cars down a strip of asphalt as quickly as they can is pretty insignificant in the big scheme of life. Shortening that distance by 320 feet is even less significant. Except for those who make their living doing it, drag racing is entertainment. It is a diversion from our everyday lives and is something we go to for pleasure.

Is shortening the race distance by 24% really going to reduce the pleasure of attending a race weekend by 24% or more? Is it going to reduce the entertainment value by 24% or more? It won't for me.

What eliminated the entertainment value for me two weeks ago was seeing Kalitta's crash. I know that the 1,000 foot distance might not have prevented Kalitta's crash or saved his life but it could have helped. And I also know that no matter what changes are made, there is always the chance that someone will die racing and that not every crash situation can be anticipated in advance. But if cutting the distance from 1,320 to 1,000 feet makes it any safer, my enjoyment will not be diminished one bit.

Jim

I'm not sure how I feel about the 1000' racing but I'm willing to give it a shot. We buried one of my racing heros this week and I don't want to do that again.

As far as a way to slow them down for the 1/4, while making it relatively cheap. I would think limit the blower and/or fuel pump. The two areas where they make the biggest power.

I don't agree with smaller tire or less track prep, I feel both of those whould create safety issues on their own and of course that is what we are trying to avoid.

I think as long as they can still hit 300mph then 1000' could work. I've seen 1/8 mile nitro and it was sad. Hopefully 1000' will be ok. I would like to see them do this only on the shorter tracks, but I can see why going to it for all for the rest of the year makes sense.

My concern is that is this just a knee jerk reaction? Scott's accident was the horrible accumulation of several bad events. I believe we take any one of them away and he would be with us today. The fireball, chutes, sand trap, pole, boom, the wall, the angle at which he hit the sand. The rev limiters and 85% were measures taken to increase safety and both seem to lead to more engine failure. 1000' seems like a quick and easy step, and it may be, I just don't want the sky is falling chants and efforts to completely change the sport over this. Yes after any accident, regardless of the outcome, its always wise to study and find out if things can improve. Regardless of what we change though the fact is our sport is about fast cars going fast. You can't safety bubble 300mph or 200mph or even 60mph. Accidents will happen and I worry if we change so much after this incident, then God forbid something else happens what do we change then? Do we legislate ourselves out of business? Again not saying I'm against 1000' just trying to think full circle.

I don't think long term that this will really help with engine failure, the only benefit will be the extra shutdown length. Initially it should cut down on explosions but as teams learn they can press harder sooner I would think that instead of letting go just before 1320 that they will let go just before 1000'. Most tracks don't have stands at the finish line, however now we have moved the finish line 320' closer to fans in the stands. Have we opened up the chance for debris to injure fans? I don't know, but it is something to think about.

On a side note, I would assume that they will now have records for
1000' which means this weekend someone is going to get some bonus points. Same goes for the next race when they get back to a better alititude.

Also a while back there was some concern that the alky guys were closing the gap on nitro. If they are still going to 1320 for the alky cars and nitro will be at 1000' then at least as far ar mph the gap will be cut down a great deal. Will alky be soon to follow in 1000' racing?

That is your right to do.

I will stand with the risk takers, Scott's competitors and friends, that I saw crying in the pits there that awful Saturday, that put it all on the line.

Sorry to see you go.

But the show will still go on.

MY entertainment does not trump peoples lives, Fathers, Sons, Daughters, and friends and all their families.

They want to live to see another day.......

How could they be so inconsiderate......................

REX

Rex,

You are so passionate about this, because I can't imagine the horror your saw in E-Town.

But let me say please that this will only temporarily be a solution to the problem. If you don't want people to get hurt inside of these racecars, you need to completely get rid of the sport. There will always be an x-factor, or something unexplainable that happens that regardless of what you do, it couldn't have been prevented.

While I see this as a temporary solution, I hope it doesn't become a permanent one. I am glad that the racers are for this change. That makes it a little easier to swallow.

I am not for this change, simply because I feel as though the change is unfounded. 1000 ft. drag racing (while everyone else goes 1320) will eventually have the same problems. If you give nitromethane and cutting edge crew chiefs time, they will find ways to blog engines up at the thousand foot mark.

Rex, none of us can imagine the horror you saw live that day...but just because you saw it, doesn't give you the right to think everyone else who doesn't believe like you do is screwed up and wrong. I am not attacking you, but show some respect to people who weren't there. We're all hurting right now.

Is shortening the race distance by 24% really going to reduce the pleasure of attending a race weekend by 24% or more? Is it going to reduce the entertainment value by 24% or more? It won't for me.

That is one of the reasons why I believe this change is coming down the pike. The NHRA (very intelligently) has PRO behind them, (which is why I think they were included in the official release) -- everyone knows that Force is for it, Connie Kalitta is for it, and with two patriarchs of the sport, who will really care? Several disgruntled fans. Perhaps thousands. Probably hundreds.

They are playing (rightfully so) the "if you don't want to see another person die, you need to realize this is a good change."

It's a good move, financially, practically, even emotionally...I just wish it didn't have to be this way.

maybe I'm naive but I think this is temporary. It may take several months to figure out how the shutdown areas need to be configured. Then tracks have to spend the money to implement it, get more land etc. This buys them time. I will be at Denver and I'm sure I will enjoy it, but ther were several cars in the trap last year and doing everything in there power to stop these things. I know Mr. Bartone wasn't real thrilled because I asked him last year.

You can't just throw an extra 500' of track down on amoments notice. I sincerely fell that by next year we'll be back to 1320'

This argument doesn't work. Very few drag racing fans are on this board. Having two or three of our members state that they are giving up and packing it in hardly equates to empty stands at Bandimere in next weekend (or anywhere else for that matter). Not to mention that if you explain to most people (please don't take this the wrong way Rich or Joe) the reasoning behind the change and the people behind the change, they would most likely understand. For the sake of conversation, if your doomsday, empty seat scenario were to come to fruition, NHRA might just say "let's give this season up, concentrate on the changes that need to be made, and we'll come back bigger and stronger in '09".

I fully believe that beginning at Pomona 1, 2009 we will be back to quarter mile drag racing for all classes. Limits will be put into place that will keep speeds down. Other rules will be put into place to make things safer. But you can bet your bottom dollar we will never again see 4.40's at 335 mph. Those days are gone, like it or not. NHRA can't impose the type of performance changes necessary to safely slow the cars down RIGHT NOW. It would be unfair to everyone. This was the only option given the timing.

To Rich and Joe: Bravo for standing up for what you believe in. I don't post much (unless I'm truly inspired), but I lurk a ton, and I respect you guys as posters. I don't think you guys will have to stay away for long though.

I had one of those knee jerk reactions that NHRA is well known for! :p
It wasn't meant to be an argument Bob, it’s my opinion, I hope this is a temporary fix as stated in CP's article if it is I could live with it but if it becomes permanent I will spend my entertainment dollar else were!
I understand safety is paramount but how safe can you make a sport were there are a lot inherent dangers that come with such an extreme motor sport as Drag Racing.
It will happen again that is a fact. I agree with the fact that the tracks that were built in the 50's and 60's were for cars that ran considerably slower.
I think Jim Head has the right idea of a restraint system that could corral the cars that are moving at such a high rate of speed but it won't come cheap!

Last edited:
Newbies don't know about the old points format, so it won't confuse them.
The only question is, if all teams play each other 23 times before the last race of the season, why do we NEED a playoff?

The first car to the finish line wins, that's not hard to understand

NASCAR? you don't think qualifying for the Daytona 500 isn't about the most complicated thing on the face of the earth.
Try keeping track of scoring in tennis. Almost as weird as that new fangled 3 point line in basketball... DH in baseball?

so qualifying, only the 12 quickest count... and?
In Nascar, didn't only the top twenty on the first day of qualifying count at one time... And NASCAR is on there 5th or 6th different points system? Remember when the ???Cup cars were called GRAND NATIONALS?

And, if you had no clue about drag racing, you wouldn't ask yourself those questions because you would have no idea to even ask them.
Your asking the questions because what was, not because what is today...
How did we decide the World Champion in 1969, and what did you have to do to even be invited to attend?
how many points system have we had in the last 50 years?

just wondering

d'kid

I hear where you're coming from Karl.

If I turn on the TV...PSB and PS are going 1320', FC and TF are going 1000'. I would wonder why.

I'm just saying that things could be made a little less confusing. I don't disagree with your post at all, but I have people who I know who are new to the sport, or trying to follow it and are extremely confused by all of the things that I mentioned.

So...either something is very complicated...or my friends are...uh...special bus material? :eek:

I guess this just really ticks me off b/c its all b/c of Scotts accident. 1/4 mile racing didnt kill Scott. Concrete walls at the end of a racetrack, catch net poles sticking out of the ground, JLG lifts parked at the end of the racetrack, parachute failure that didnt allow him to stop, that all led to Scotts untimely death. Not 1320 feet of race track. Tell me this, if Scott had only been running 1000ft would he still be here today? NO.

Here's a thought, why don't we all raise our hands and start running in circles and chanting, The Sky is Falling????????? Before everyone is sooooo eager so say that this idea sucks why not wait to see what actually happens??? Then some opinons based on fact not pure speculation can be developed.

Do I know if this is the answer??? Hell no and neither do you. It is all guess work until they actually try it.

All I am saying is give it a chance before you are so willing to say it is not a good idea. Imagine 11 pages of post based on guesswork and maybes and mightbes.... damn people give it a rest. Everybody is entitled to an opinon but try basing it on facts....

If it works fine, if it does not then we will try something else....It is not the end of civilation as we know it.

jim

Here's a thought, why don't we all raise our hands and start running in circles and chanting, The Sky is Falling????????? Before everyone is sooooo eager so say that this idea sucks why not wait to see what actually happens??? Then some opinons based on fact not pure speculation can be developed.

Do I know if this is the answer??? Hell no and neither do you. It is all guess work until they actually try it.

All I am saying is give it a chance before you are so willing to say it is not a good idea. Imagine 11 pages of post based on guesswork and maybes and mightbes.... damn people give it a rest. Everybody is entitled to an opinon but try basing it on facts....

If it works fine, if it does not then we will try something else....It is not the end of civilation as we know it.

jim

Another county heard from! This is a forum Jim give it a rest! :rolleyes:

I guess this just really ticks me off b/c its all b/c of Scotts accident. 1/4 mile racing didnt kill Scott. Concrete walls at the end of a racetrack, catch net poles sticking out of the ground, JLG lifts parked at the end of the racetrack, parachute failure that didnt allow him to stop, that all led to Scotts untimely death. Not 1320 feet of race track. Tell me this, if Scott had only been running 1000ft would he still be here today? NO.

Great post Justin!

I don't know where to start my rant on this subject.

This is a sad day. I can honestly say that I will not be attending a 1000' NHRA race.

If a track has inadequate shutdown area, don't take a race there. Update the specifications and don't sanction the track if it doesn't meet the requirements.

This is the final nail in Pomona's coffin.

Why is 1000 ft even an issue?

I've been attending drag races since I was 11 years old, starting in 1964.
Over the years at the gazillion races I've been to I've noticed two distinct kinds of fans.
1 Those who know nothing about drag racing.
2 Those who know EVERYTHING about drag racing.

Frequently the two are the same. I have read and heard endless *****ing, moaning and griping about 1000ft, the NHRA and even the drivers themselves.JEEEZ!
Read this:
“The board members of the Professional Racers Owners Organization (PRO) wholeheartedly and unanimously support this decision,” said its president Kenny Bernstein. “We want to thank NHRA for listening to our input and suggestions to incorporate these changes. It is not lost on any of us that this constitutes a change in our history of running a quarter-mile, but it's the most immediate adjustment we can make in the interest of safety which is foremost on everyone's mind. This may be a temporary change and we recognize it is not the total answer. We will continue to work hand in hand with NHRA to evaluate other methods of making Top Fuel and Funny Car competition safer so that we might return to our quarter-mile racing standard. We also want to thank Connie Kalitta for his invaluable input. He has been a rock through these difficult times.”

READ IT? UNAMIMOUS MEAN ANYTHING TO YOU?
For those that bemoan the "pussification" of racing, go call Jerry Toliver a puss. Go call Connie Kallitta or Ed McCulloch or Bernie Fedderly a puss.
Try the Pedregons.
When these guys say slow down, ITS TIME TO SLOW DOWN.
Unless you want mid season rule changes to cars, that would require basically all new cars, 1000 ft is the way to go.
It's not a knee jerk reaction to Scotts death, its the cumination of MANY issues, Tires, shut off, chassis failures, costs etc.
It's about time PRO put its collective foot down, It's time to act NOW!
So stop your complaining, stop your second guessing, whining and moaning.
These guys are FUEL RACERS, YOU ARE NOT! Go watch golf!

Re: Why is 1000 ft even an issue?

i've Been Attending Drag Races Since I Was 11 Years Old, Starting In 1964.
Over The Years At The Gazillion Races I've Been To I've Noticed Two Distinct Kinds Of Fans.
1 Those Who Know Nothing About Drag Racing.
2 Those Who Know Everything About Drag Racing.

Frequently The Two Are The Same. I Have Read And Heard Endless *****ing, Moaning And Griping About 1000ft, The Nhra And Even The Drivers Themselves.jeeez!
Read This:
“the Board Members Of The Professional Racers Owners Organization (pro) Wholeheartedly And Unanimously Support This Decision,” Said Its President Kenny Bernstein. “we Want To Thank Nhra For Listening To Our Input And Suggestions To Incorporate These Changes. It Is Not Lost On Any Of Us That This Constitutes A Change In Our History Of Running A Quarter-mile, But It's The Most Immediate Adjustment We Can Make In The Interest Of Safety Which Is Foremost On Everyone's Mind. This May Be A Temporary Change And We Recognize It Is Not The Total Answer. We Will Continue To Work Hand In Hand With Nhra To Evaluate Other Methods Of Making Top Fuel And Funny Car Competition Safer So That We Might Return To Our Quarter-mile Racing Standard. We Also Want To Thank Connie Kalitta For His Invaluable Input. He Has Been A Rock Through These Difficult Times.”

Read It? Unamimous Mean Anything To You?
For Those That Bemoan The "pussification" Of Racing, Go Call Jerry Toliver A Puss. Go Call Connie Kallitta Or Ed Mcculloch Or Bernie Fedderly A Puss.
Try The Pedregons.
When These Guys Say Slow Down, Its Time To Slow Down.
Unless You Want Mid Season Rule Changes To Cars, That Would Require Basically All New Cars, 1000 Ft Is The Way To Go.
It's Not A Knee Jerk Reaction To Scotts Death, Its The Cumination Of Many Issues, Tires, Shut Off, Chassis Failures, Costs Etc.
It's About Time Pro Put Its Collective Foot Down, It's Time To Act Now!
So Stop Your Complaining, Stop Your Second Guessing, Whining And Moaning.
These Guys Are Fuel Racers, You Are Not! Go Watch Golf!

Well Said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Why is 1000 ft even an issue?

Not to argue the 1000' issue but we were told that Pro was in support of the countdown too, yet behind the scenes it was a much different story.

I do tend to believe that they are at least for the short term in support of this though

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back