1000ft drag racing in Denver (1 Viewer)

StarLink Now $299

This is why the USA is in the state it is, it isn't willing to adapt!

People must have been saying the same kind of stuff when wearing a seatbelt was law, but that saved countless lives, just look what happened to those two kids earlier this year when they didn't wear theirs.

SUV sales are doing down the toilet because they didn't adapt to the 'green way'. Kids are getting larger and portclosers are growing because people don't think of the consquences of what they eat and what they sign will be later on down the road!

In order to grow sales the general rule is to adapt to changing local, national or international conditions.

Those who don't want to attend events, fine, betting loosing a fan than loosiing a life.

Your moaning loosing 320 feet, but yet attending events instead that use slower cars and differing track lenghs!!? - go figure!

Cheers

James

Ya' know, now I AM going to Maple Grove.

Maybe, maybe attendance will be down, heck you guys not going may be doing me a favor.

Better seats and sardine can rows of fans in the hot sun is why I have not gone in the last couple years.

So now I WILL be there.

Parking should be easier too, not to mention getting in and out of that track.

So, attendance may be down, of course if it is all will gnash and wail that it is because of the shorter distance, not the cost of living or anything like that........:rolleyes:.

Once the economy turns around, and people can once again spend their entertainment dollars, the seats will fill again, if it goes back to 1320, and all the drivers, teams, owners, tuners, feel once again that this is safe, safer than it was, I'll be happy too.

See.........I love the sport, and am a happy guy

I do not complain a lot, 'cause I have gratitude.

Life is good, short, and why complain about stuff?

All this is a luxury for us, we lose sight of that. I will always respect the decisions of the doers, the whiners, IMO, can take a hike.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know you will.

Don't let the door hit yer ass on the way out.:cool:

REX

How long before the crewchiefs learn just how much more they can throw at these motors in 3.9 secs they couldn't in 4.5? More mag, static compression, you can bet your ass that AJ and Coil will do that! What happens when we start seeing more boomers at 1/8 mile we used to see at 1000'? Will Jim Head talk about the carnage suffered past 1/8 mile and how dangerous 1000 racing is? This is only the beginning, I see 1/8 mile becoming the standard in 5 years! :rolleyes:

well now they'll be blowing up right in front of the stands Joe, instead of past the 1000' mark where most tracks don't let you sit anymore. Like they did in the old days, when they were slower...and more fun.

Doesn't mean the fans will be.
If this impacts attendance the way it appears it will I bet you it won't last long!
Fans don't have to let the drivers know anything they just won't show up.
Actions speak louder than words ever could!
Maybe they should reduce driver’s salaries as well as ticket prices to reflect the change.
If this becomes a permanent change I will stop going also I wish I would have known before I just ordered my Sonoma tickets.
I'm with Joe on this issue I will be attending more nostalgia meets in the near future.
Joe goes to a lot of events and he is a dedicated fan and if you gauge his feelings that might be the true feelings of a lot of long time fans not all but a lot!
There are a lot of drivers in waiting that would jump in any vacated seat that becomes available.

This argument doesn't work. Very few drag racing fans are on this board. Having two or three of our members state that they are giving up and packing it in hardly equates to empty stands at Bandimere in next weekend (or anywhere else for that matter). Not to mention that if you explain to most people (please don't take this the wrong way Rich or Joe) the reasoning behind the change and the people behind the change, they would most likely understand. For the sake of conversation, if your doomsday, empty seat scenario were to come to fruition, NHRA might just say "let's give this season up, concentrate on the changes that need to be made, and we'll come back bigger and stronger in '09".

I fully believe that beginning at Pomona 1, 2009 we will be back to quarter mile drag racing for all classes. Limits will be put into place that will keep speeds down. Other rules will be put into place to make things safer. But you can bet your bottom dollar we will never again see 4.40's at 335 mph. Those days are gone, like it or not. NHRA can't impose the type of performance changes necessary to safely slow the cars down RIGHT NOW. It would be unfair to everyone. This was the only option given the timing.

To Rich and Joe: Bravo for standing up for what you believe in. I don't post much (unless I'm truly inspired), but I lurk a ton, and I respect you guys as posters. I don't think you guys will have to stay away for long though.

Last edited:
Have you seen the pictures in ND of the divisional meets lately? 260mph alky dragsters good stuff I like it - but what do you see - empty stands.

Not when the tracks promote the event. Two examples:

• Richmond did a big promotion with NAPA for the divisional race this year. The stands were packed and the concession stands ran out of food and beverage.
  • Maple Grove did a $25/carload promotion for the division race in May. They brought in thousands of people.

Jim

This argument doesn't work. Very few drag racing fans are on this board. Having two or three of our members state that they are giving up and packing it in hardly equates to empty stands at Bandimere in next weekend (or anywhere else for that matter). Not to mention that if you explain to most people (please don't take this the wrong way Rich or Joe) the reasoning behind the change and the people behind the change, they would most likely understand. For the sake of conversation, if your doomsday, empty seat scenario were to come to fruition, NHRA might just say "let's give this season up, concentrate on the changes that need to be made, and we'll come back bigger and stronger in '09".

I fully believe that beginning at Pomona 1, 2009 we will be back to quarter mile drag racing for all classes. Limits will be put into place that will keep speeds down. Other rules will be put into place to make things safer. But you can bet your bottom dollar we will never again see 4.40's at 335 mph. Those days are gone, like it or not. NHRA can't impose the type of performance changes necessary to safely slow the cars down RIGHT NOW. It would be unfair to everyone. This was the only option given the timing.

To Rich and Joe: Bravo for standing up for what you believe in. I don't post much (unless I'm truly inspired), but I lurk a ton, and I respect you guys as posters. I don't think you guys will have to stay away for long though.

I don't think they will really feel the pinch too bad at the gate this year, maybe a little but not a significant amount because most people have already bought tickets for this year's races. Additionally many casual fans or people that aren't diehards probably won't know about this change until they sit down to watch qualifying (after they've forked over gate money for the day). If the customer leaves disappointed they won't return next year. The state of the economy and/or high gas prices could have an adverse effect on the gate as well, as this may be just enough for people on the fringe about going to races to stay home.

With all these people stating this is the beginning of the end of drag racing and how they are not going back to the track again, there should be plently of open seats at Indy and Charlotte. I will enjoy the extra room in the seats:D. Has anyone thought that this is an interm step until the NHRA finds the correct package for the fuel cars? This way will not impact the teams like a new rule such as 80% nitro. I haven't seen this much complaining since the Countdown was announced. Remember, SAFETY is first!!!

With all these people stating this is the beginning of the end of drag racing and how they are not going back to the track again, there should be plently of open seats at Indy and Charlotte. I will enjoy the extra room in the seats:D. Has anyone thought that this is an interm step until the NHRA finds the correct package for the fuel cars? This way will not impact the teams like a new rule such as 80% nitro. I haven't seen this much complaining since the Countdown was announced. Remember, SAFETY is first!!!

I agree Paul. I'm just looking at this as a temporary situation until a permanent solution is developed. However, my personal feeling is that a 1000' track wouldn't have saved Scott. The extra 320' of shutdown would have given another second (?) of slowdown time, not nearly enough IMO.

From Comp Plus: Drag Racing Internet Magazine - Competition Plus.com - 1,000-FOOT COMING IN DENVER

“The board members of the Professional Racers Owners Organization (PRO) wholeheartedly and unanimously support this decision,” said its president Kenny Bernstein. “We want to thank NHRA for listening to our input and suggestions to incorporate these changes. It is not lost on any of us that this constitutes a change in our history of running a quarter-mile, but it’s the most immediate adjustment we can make in the interest of safety which is foremost on everyone’s mind. This may be a temporary change and we recognize it is not the total answer. We will continue to work hand in hand with NHRA to evaluate other methods of making Top Fuel and Funny Car competition safer so that we might return to our quarter-mile racing standard. We also want to thank Connie Kalitta for his invaluable input. He has been a rock through these difficult times.”
Numerous crew chiefs have pointed out that if this is an effort to slow the cars down it won’t produce major results because most of the cars are already well over the 300 MPH mark at 1,000 feet. What it would produce, of course, is an additional 320 feet of shut-down room, a very serious matter at facilities like Bandimere Speedway, Pomona and
one or two other tracks.

According to our sources, at least a handful of prominent team owners have urged the adoption of 1,000 feet for fuel cars prior to the Denver race and were prepared to sit out if changes weren't made.

These are the guys and gals that are putting their life on the line for the "show", as far as I'm concerned if THEY want it 1000' to add some shutdown, so be it.

Last edited:
Hey Brian, we dont' doubt any of that.

This should have been addressed a long time ago.

For the first time I'm spending the money to go to Vegas to see a race, it'll be the first time I've seen a race anywhere other than Gainesville and they do this.

This should have been addressed a long time ago.

The world out there beyond the people on this board that are apparantly not fans like me (apparantly everyone here is involved in the sport from what I'm reading) think this is stupid. Go do some searching and see what the fans of other motorsports think.They think NHRA are a bunch of dumbasses for not slowing the cars like EVERY other major form of motorsports has done over the last 20 years.

Whether it's indycars, nascar, F1, Lemans type sportscars, everyone has designed their cars to hold the speeds to a reasonable level.

NHRA should have done that instead of advertising 330mph . It's nothing to brag about. It's stupid.

Like one ex crew chief said, who would complain about seeing a 4.78 at 299 beat a 4.77 at 301. No one. That's good racing, and fast enough to be called the worlds fastest specatator sport. I hope to see that again one day.

I sit at the 60' mark at Bandimere every year. Once they leave the line its a blur down the track. I guess I will have more people watching the sportsman this year since they will be going the distance, usually ther are about 500 people in the stands. The casual fan goes because it is exciting, they don't care if it is 1000' or 1320'. If it shakes everything in the stands and you its fun. Should the NHRA looked at this sooner probably but just like the FAA no one does anything til the chips are down or someone dies. I now we'll race the 1320' at every race for the rest of the year, just no nitro cars:D SEE ya there!!! And Lemans has changed the track numerous times to slow the cars down yet it is still a great race.

P.S. There is no punting in arena football. Is it the same no is it fun yes.

Last edited:
THIS IS A VERY GOOD THING!!! Finally NHRA has done something right for the professional racer!

I personally hope all you nagging naybobs of negativity that only go to the digs to see fires, wrecks, and blown engines stay home! The sport doesn't need fans like you and I personally don't want to be seen in the same area with you.

Until you've strapped yourself in a top fuel anything and made a full throttle pass you haven't earned the right to an opinion on this.

Save your money, stay home and make everyone including yourself happy!

Eventually, I got a headache trying to read every single post about this. Regardless if you are for or against 1000 ft. Nitro racing, we need to keep in mind that this desicion is being approved by the drivers and team owners.

Picture this scenario- all those who are unhappy, saying they're gonna turn back in their tickets, spend 500 bucks to go to this race, turning in memberships -blah, blah, blah, etc. How would you like to attend the event, and say a team boycott took place, and you got to see no NITRO racing at all ? That would probably piss me off more than anything. At least your finding out about it before you attend the event.

Anyone here consider that maybe the dreaded insurance companies who cover the NHRA or track owners or however it's covered, could be having a say in this?

If you don't like it, stay home. That's the way you'll show support of your teams. I know Reading is coming up in August, and just as I have since 1985, I'll be in attendance. That's how I'll be supporting my favorite teams.

To me, 1000 ft, is much better than 1/8 mile.

My opinion probably doesn't mean much to fuel racers on the mater, I have pit on a few match race teams but never had anything to do with tuning or driving a fuel car. I'm speaking as a fan and I personally don't think this will fix the problem with fuel catagory, BUT I think the racers and the teams should get the 1000' if thats what they want, they're the ones risking their lives to entertain us and as fans we should support them. I think the owners,drivers, crew cheifs, NHRA and fans have a pretty good idea of what needs to be done to make the cars safer on the Drag Strip, longer shut down and better restraint system to stop these cars. Several years ago there weren't catastrophic engine explosion every race like there has been the last two years, the crew chiefs will have to find what has changed and correct the problem.

1000' will be fine for the short but if they decide to make it permanent then what happens to the 50 years of historic records that have been made, do they put an * next to the new speeds and ET's or the old ones. What happens to the runs at Denver and others in the near future, or do they cancel the the Count Down until they make a change permanent. Questions to talk and think about but one thing for sure the fans that love the great sport of Drag Racing will continue to come to the races.

Regardless of personal opinion or preference I do not understand how anyone could truly be against this decision. The cold fact is our wonderful safety record has taken a severe beating the past few years and regardless of whether this helps resolve some problems or not, shortening the track and by doing so extending the shutdown area, can only help make racing safer.

As much as I am a fan of the quarter mile, my preference is not worth spit when compared with any margin of safety in regards to the pilots of these fast cars.

The bottom line is NHRA did it. PRO supports it. As such I am on board with it.

Thats the problem with this country people are quick to trash its history and heritage.

If your gonna shorten the track the go with 1/8 mile and retain the history in the record books.

And for those of you that think this extra 320 will save lives remember this Eric (RIP)and Darrell (RIP) died before the sand traps.

THIS IS A VERY GOOD THING!!! Finally NHRA has done something right for the professional racer!

I personally hope all you nagging naybobs of negativity that only go to the digs to see fires, wrecks, and blown engines stay home! The sport doesn't need fans like you and I personally don't want to be seen in the same area with you.

Until you've strapped yourself in a top fuel anything and made a full throttle pass you haven't earned the right to an opinion on this.

Save your money, stay home and make everyone including yourself happy!

Please show me where did ANYONE opposed to this change have said they only go to the races races to see "fires, wrecks, and blown engines"? Somehow I must have missed those posts.

But I certainly intend to follow your advice; I will stay home and make everyone happy, including myself. But except for what I would have spent in gas and at the track the saving money suggestion is not an option since I have already purchased my tickets. Those will be put in the mail this morning and sent to Glendora. I will have to eat the cost of the tickets since the NHRA didn't give a refund option to those of us who don't feel like watching 1000 foot racing.

I didnt take the time to read all the posts in this thread since I was just now able to get on but here goes anyways.

1st thing, I just hope this is a temporary thing. Drag racing is 1/4 mile. I am all for safety, dont get me wrong but 1000 ft racing is not the answer. Do I know the answer? No but I know this isint it. Make the shutdowns longer, slow the cars down, come up with some kind of fool proof parachute that never fails, dont put concrete walls at the end of racetracks, I dont know but do not do 1000 ft racing.

And this is coming from a guy who will pick 1/8th mile pro mod racing over a national event any day of the week. Pro mods, outlaw 10.5, any real fast doorcar 1/8th mile race is exciting to watch. Fuel cars, nope. I can attest b/c I went to the San Antonio IHRA race this year. It wasnt as bad as I thought but its still no where near close to the excitement of 1/4 mile racing.

Will people still pay to come watch it? Ofcourse they will. I dont like it but I'd still go b/c I love the sport. Its in my blood, always has been and always will be but to me REAL DRAG RACING died 7/2/2008 if this is a permanent thing. Who am I to argue with the guys who strap themselves into this nitro fire breathing bombs between the frame rails and the people that tune them, but I honestly dont think there's going to be any less carnage. They are still going to blow them up. Even at the 1/8th mile San Antonio race, they were blowing stuff up. Its happens and they will tune them to the max. There's always going to be accidents. Dont matter if we race 1000 ft or 10000 ft. Its going to happen, and eventually but unfortunatley somebodies going to die.

And what about records? I'm sure we dont have "official" 1000 ft records. So are they going to award pts this weekend in Denver? Its the slowest track on the circuit so those will all be broken the very next race. How are those pts going to play a role in the countdown thing? What is a good 1000 ft run? I have no idea. I know 60 ft number, 660 ft, and 1/4th mile numbers. No clue, but I know they run 280 mph plus to the 1/8th so that probably means 300 or so at 1000 ft. I just dont see how 30 mph is going ot make a difference. It takes alot to make a car run that fast so stuff is still going to go Kaboom. Just make the shutdowns longer. Slow them down so the tire isint strecthed to its max.

The PBR isint going to make the cowboys start riding cows now b/c of safety concerns, the Olympics swimming competitions wont be held in a kiddie pool, the Kentucky Derby wont be a stick horse race next year, fencing competitors wont have to use fake plastic star wars swords, Nascar wont be requiring 4000 lb station wagon racing anytime soon. I'm sorry, you all can flame away all you want, but this is not the answer.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back