New nhra drag racing song (1 Viewer)

You could be wrong too Jack...

This sounds like a band, A REAL BAND, of REAL MUSICIANS.

It has nothing to do with genre or its cultural background either as in my time I've worked on everything from classical to southern soul, merseybeat to "new" country, big band swing to indie-rock, disco to modern jazz. So I haven't got even what you'd call eclectic taste, but what I actually find pleasing musically is work that has obviously had time and effort invested in it. It doesn't even need to have great "artistic value" because even the simplest of songs can be performed and produced well and have the desired effect on the listener. But then simple is the hardest thing to do and takes most experience to know when its right.

The Crank song just has a feeling of being "genuine" about it. It stands up as a pretty well written song both lyrically and musically in my book. The arrangement has been thought about in terms of musicality with changes in both texture and meter and production-wise at least it sounds like a band all playing together in the same room (ok maybe big-ass old hall actually) on the same day and there aren't any glaring big holes in the sound. Well not on these little tiny speakers anyway. OK there's a few things about it I personally would want to change if I were producing for the band, but in comparison to the Roger Burgess track this is on a completely different planet.

Last edited:
Well it sounds real good if your some cooperate guy that usually sells fries and burgers and now want to sell NHRA style racing. It's just as fake as most the crap the NHRA tries to dole out to the hardcore fans to attract channel surfers. I liked the Saliva "Ladies and Gentleman" better, could do without a "theme" song all together it just comes across as LAME. But hey, anybody with a pirated copy of "pro tools" can be a singing star now. Got to go, have to fire up the kids "guitar hero" and write the NHRA's next big song....."a 1000 feet of luxury boxes and 5 feet of general admission stands for the racers that foot the bill"...thats just the working title, the suits in Glendora will come up with something more snappy.

With the greatest respect I think this is just another product of the American Idol/America's Got Talent generation where it seems everyone with the slightest abilty suddenly appears to think that it should come easy and that its actually quite simple to write and produce something which the masses want to hear when in reality writing and producing should be left to those either very experienced amateurs who have both the knowledge and experience or trained professionals, who have spent years honing their skills.

The writing both musically and lyrically is naive and immature in much the same way as I'd expect from a large percentage of the 16/17 year-old music and music-tech students I've taught in recent years, mainly those with little real theoretical knowledge who just "play guitar a bit".

On the engineering/production front the track doesn't hang together well at all. The drums are almost certainly samples unless they are a live recording thats been gated and effected to within an inch of their lives and are very "80's early 90's" sounding and lack the depth that would be expected with a more "live" sound which would be contemporary within the country/rock genre. The pingy snare is particularly awful. The guitar sound is crunchy enough, but again lack depth and presence and to be honest I'm not listening on studio monitors but the bass just sounds wooly and messy and is probably kept low in the mix just to try and make up for a bad initial sound.

When working with just Bass/Guit/Kit as a lineup its really important that the sound here is full and supports the vocals well in a track like this, but here the vocal is very forward in the mix, not only in terms of overall level but in terms of proximity (mainly caused by the mic'ing techique and EQ and the dryness of the vocal sound with regards to effects). This only serves to make the instruments sound even weaker and sit further back in the mix. The result is something like singing karaoke to a badly mixed backing track on your TV whilst singing straight in the listeners face.

Songwriters and record producers of the world can sleep safely, knowing that drag racers are no threat just yet... (well unless your initials are NM)

Simon would be proud... And so am I!!!!

It just made me lust for some of those "Solid - lifter high dome pistons"

I've never seen "solid-lifter high dome pistons"....

Something new from JE???? or Ross???? or Arias????:confused:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back