1000ft drag racing in Denver (2 Viewers)

My suspicion is the poll is so heavily skewed toward the quarter mile because the average fan has a perception of the distance. We pretty much all drive regular cars and have a feel for the length of one mile, one half mile, and 1/4 mile. The 1000 foot number, not matter how "round" does not seem to have a common reference point for the average spectator or fan. Add to that the heritage of 1/4 mile in regards to the sport and the poll makes sense to me in terms of the results.

Whether or not an actual drop in attendance or viewership would result is a different matter. In states and cities that have implemented no smoking laws, the fear that people would stop eating out, for the most part (with some exceptions) has been pretty much unfounded. I suspect attendance and spectators would continue to come and if the concept were properly marketed, and if,... And this is a huge if.... it actually worked in terms of safety, attence and participation might actually go up.

Personally I prefer Dale Armstrong's idea. I do not know enough to evalulate the technical aspects but it makes good sound sense to my limited brain. I would prefer such a solution, albeit likely modified by the time it would be implemented, with a short term experiment with the shorter track.

I do not want to lose any more people I have come to admire or know, due to inaction. This sport is tremendously dangerous at all levels and as much as I too may have a strong opinion at times, if it will save lives, even potentially save lives, then I am all for it.

u have got to be kidding !!!! i was about to order 4 tix for maple grove this year but the hell with that. with some of the decisions this organization makes sometimes i honestly believe These guys are intentionally trying run drag racing into the ground !! geeeez !!! :mad::mad:

Oh come on people. You won't be able to tell the difference. It will still be exciting to watch. If it means saving a driver's life then I'm all for it. I think some of you are taking these comments too far. I wouldn't care if it was 8th mile racing as long as I get a nitro fix!!!!!

When did someone's pleasure become more important than someone's life. Oh wait, I forgot about the Roman Empire, the Aztec civilization, and a few other eras that come to mind. So back that up. Besides, this is racing and has nothing to do with a civilization's moral code, does it?

Morally how can a person say this is a bad decision if it will possibly prevent tragedy in the future? How can you say you hate it if you haven't experienced it? How can you possibly look someone in the eye and say, I don't care if you live or die?

Ok, that may all be a little dramatic.

Gee, do you think that was a little dramatic?:rolleyes:

you know as well as I do we don't want to see anyone die . Or get hurt at all for that matter.

We can hate the idea of 1000' racing , we have the right. NHRA can , and should have ALREADY, fixed this problem, IMO.

Maybe you're right. Maybe I 'll like 1000' racing.

But I KNOW, that I would like 1320 at reasonable speeds, much , much better.

Oh come on people. You won't be able to tell the difference. It will still be exciting to watch. If it means saving a driver's life then I'm all for it. I think some of you are taking these comments too far. I wouldn't care if it was 8th mile racing as long as I get a nitro fix!!!!!

If you were a coke addict would you want a short line or a long line? :rolleyes:

I am about sick of this response. There is no guarantee that another driver will never be killed just because they chopped off 320'.

I understand your frustration, however since the race will be shorter and the shutoff longer, regardless of anything else there will likely be a fraction of a second more time to take some sort of corrective action in event of a problem. This is a sport of fractions of seconds and anything that has the support of the drivers, owners, and sanctioning body is worth a try in my opinion. There are really no guarentees for most of us in anything except death and taxes. Although I believe a different long term solution is the answer, if there was zero change made to anything and any sort of similiar accident were to happen, not only the conscience of many in authority, but the potential liability and damage to all aspects of our sport would be huge. There is too much risk to do nothing in the interim period while folks far more intelligent than I come up with reasonable measures.

Sure wish I'd known about this a few weeks ago, I wouldn't have wasted $500 going to this race!

Now Joe, calm down guy. You're a huge fan. You'll go. Just think of it this way, you'll be one of the FIRST to see nitro @ 1,000 ft. History in the making.

It's not the first time they've done things the fans didn't like. In the last few years they have:
Dropped nitro % (twice)
added weight
changed tires
changed the tree lights
dropped Pro Stock Truck
changed the qual system
not to mention....the countdown system

and we still went...Why??.... Because it's STILL a drag race, and we LOVE drag racing. As long as they don't make them drive in circles, we'll go.

Now enjoy Denver, sir and tell us all about it.

Zappy

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back