1000ft drag racing in Denver (1 Viewer)

I'll wait and see on this one. It's still a race and racers will push harder to get to the finish line first. I hope we don't have them blowing up at 800 ft. now, closer to the grandstands. We joke about the 1319 ft. fuse but will they now have a 999 ft. fuse?

Re: Why is 1000 ft even an issue?

Gary I never called any driver a *****! The term "Pussification" refers to the zealots who feel they know what's best for the fans and drivers alike!
John Force, Connie Kalitta and Kenny Bernstein are among the zealots of which you speak. You know more than they do? I don't think so.

And I'm sure there are any number of professional baseball players who would like to see the number of stikes increased to four and the number of balls increased to five. And who would we mere fans be to question such a move since we are only unworthy spectators who don't actually play the game?

Instead of the "shutup and drive" we often hear from NASCAR, apparently drag racing fans are supposed to shutup and watch.

:rolleyes:

John Force, Connie Kalitta and Kenny Bernstein are among the zealots of which you speak. You know more than they do? I don't think so.

Bob, than what Possessed them to run on these death traps over the years? Was E-Town a safer track last year or in '06? No one forced these guys to run, they choose to! This is pandering...

Bob, than what Possessed them to run on these death traps over the years? Was E-Town a safer track last year or in '06? No one forced these guys to run, they choose to! This is pandering...

No one forced you to buy tickets to these events either, you made the decision to buy them.

Okay, re-engaging, I'm not thrilled by this but after some thought it does seem like a common sense hopefully temporary measure, to keep from burying anymore folks for a while. Some folks need to relax, this a forum we all come to to relax and hangout on because I'm sure like me, most of the people around you are like "drag racing isn't that NASCAR?" No need to get overly emotional and sink to name calling. Can't we all get along and act like adults? I'm sure some of the emotion is driven by the fact that we're all in various states of grieving for Scott, but we need to get a grip people and stop keyboard brawling.

S/F
D

Gee Rich, I don't think ballplayers DIE when they strike out.

I seem to recall that there was first or third base coach that was killed by a baseball just a couple of years ago. As a result of that tragedy the base coaches are now required to wear helmets.

Again, I am NOT saying that there doesn't need to be change. But I feel it's ridiculous to imply or even state that fans should be silent and accept this particular change just because the drivers are behind it.

Okay, re-engaging, I'm not thrilled by this but after some thought it does seem like a common sense hopefully temporary measure, to keep from burying anymore folks for a while. Some folks need to relax, this a forum we all come to to relax and hangout on because I'm sure like me, most of the people around you are like "drag racing isn't that NASCAR?" No need to get overly emotional and sink to name calling. Can't we all get along and act like adults? I'm sure some of the emotion is driven by the fact that we're all in various states of grieving for Scott, but we need to get a grip people and stop keyboard brawling.

S/F
D

D'
Up yours!!!!:D:D::D;)

and stop making sense

d'kid

Force Supports Intent Of 1,000 Foot Track, For Now

FORCE SUPPORTS INTENT OF 1,000 FOOT TRACK, FOR NOW

Declines Comment on Crash That Led to NHRA Decision

YORBA LINDA, Calif. – Drag racing icon John Force said Thursday that, for now, he supports the unprecedented step taken by the NHRA on Wednesday when it announced that starting with next week’s Mopar Mile-High Nationals at Denver, Colo., Top Fuel and Funny Car races at least temporarily will be contested to 1,000 feet instead of to the traditional 1,320 feet.

“As a PRO member, I support the NHRA decision, for now,” Force said. “(Shortening the race course) was one of several options they considered but it’s one of the few things that could be done immediately to reduce speeds (in the aftermath of the qualifying accident two weeks ago that claimed the life of Funny Car driver Scott Kalitta).”

Force, a 14-time series champion who is battling back from injuries suffered last September in a crash of his own at Dallas, Texas, and who still is dealing with the death of teammate and protégé Eric Medlen in a testing accident in March, 2007, refused further comment but said he would keep an open mind with regard to long-term safety solutions.

The 126-time tour winner, who previously had declined to speculate on issues pertaining to the Kalitta incident while the investigation remained active, restated his position Thursday, emphasizing that such conversation is counterproductive, a lesson he learned in the aftermath of Medlen’s crash at Gainesville, Fla..

The NHRA, which has lost three of its most prominent drivers in separate incidents over the last three years, identified several areas on which it is focusing its attention in the wake of the Kalitta crash: (1) ways to minimize catastrophic engine failures; (2) different parachute mounting techniques; (3) brake efficiency; (4) new methods of stopping runaway vehicles beyond the finish line; and (5) permanent means of further reducing speeds.

-www.johnforceracing.com-

I don't know about all this.....
I still think there's larger underlying issue whether it be the 1000' track or the 1320' track and slowing down a loose car. Bakersfield March Meet was a Heart Stopper this year if you were there. I just wonder what the plan will be for another unconcious driver. Engine failure's, blown tire's, etc. will always be there, but I hope they work something out during the off season and look at all the possibilities. JMHO, but it's time for NHRA to re-invest some $$$$'s as well as making these new changes. Seriously.

I don't know about all this.....
I still think there's larger underlying issue whether it be the 1000' track or the 1320' track and slowing down a loose car. Bakersfield March Meet was a Heart Stopper this year if you were there. I just wonder what the plan will be for another unconcious driver. Engine failure's, blown tire's, etc. will always be there, but I hope they work something out during the off season and look at all the possibilities. JMHO, but it's time for NHRA to re-invest some $$$$'s as well as making these new changes. Seriously.

Mike how on Earth would you have a contingency/safety plan for a driver dying or having a heart attack in the middle of a run as John Shoemaker did? What happened to John was horrible, but the safety equipment and guardwalls at Famoso did the job they were designed to do.

No amount of money would have changed a thing.

I'm not sure where I stand on this, and as a long time attendee of the Northwest Nationals in Seattle, it'll be at the very least interesting in a couple weeks. I can imagine getting used to 1000'... eventually.

I'm a bit concerned about the quick and temporary nature of this change, though. People have mentioned the records, which is hard to get a handle on, and will be interesting to see how NHRA handles that issue. I'm really concerned that this whole season will have an asterisk next to it -- like the strike shortened seasons in other sports, or Barry Bonds' HR record. Especially if they slow the cars down and go back to 1320' at some point.

My biggest concern, though, is the power it puts in the big teams like DSR and Force. As of Denver teams will have a new chassis, new tires, separate blower/nitro rules for up on the mountain, and now 1000' to contend with -- and NO TESTING. This deeply favors the teams that can get the most run data, and make the use of new data for topping out at 1000'. Alan Johnson will once again make everyone else look silly, and team Force will have 4x more run data than Tim Wilkerson. No wonder "90% of the teams are all for it" -- change the playing field and the big teams win.

So to sum up: I feel terrible about Scott (and Darrell, and Eric, and...) and I understand the concern for safety. I love the idea of cutting down the size of the fuel line as a KISS way to make the sport safer. I think places like ETown and Pomona have to be lengthened, fixed, or moved. But the tiny change, after tiny change, after not so tiny change, will drive the Tim Wilkerson, Gary Densham, independent teams out of the sport. That sucks.

I know, your right. What happened during John's run is self explantory, but who knew and do we just let those things just happen anyway? I mean is there something that can intervene to help just in case the driver just simly passed out? What about people that actuall have a heart attack and can survive? Just trying to throw some bones out there to see if it might trigger a great solution. There are some really smart people who may not post but have great ideas.

Happy 4th!

Mike how on Earth would you have a contingency/safety plan for a driver dying or having a heart attack in the middle of a run as John Shoemaker did? What happened to John was horrible, but the safety equipment and guardwalls at Famoso did the job they were designed to do.

No amount of money would have changed a thing.

Why does everyone assume a new tuneup is needed?
Aren't the motors up against the rev limiter at 1000 ft anyway?
Isn't that last 320 feet just running the limiter and trying to time that .5 or whatever second before the thing grenades?
I usually sit at about 1000 ft, most boomers seem to occur at just past that point ( though not all).
I'm hardly a crew chief, so what do I know, but it sure seems like most parts eating happens between 1000 and 1320 feet.
Some tracks can't be lengthened, Pomona is one of them. I'd sure rather see 1000 ft than shut that place down!

As for the march Meet, I was there at about 1200 ft. It WAS terrible, but I don't see what could have been done, nets or not. John could have easily gone over the wall, or any number of ways. The same is probably true of Scott. I do think there are broader issus here that can't be reduced to just one incident.

I know some will blow this off because I've never driven anything but a street car down a drag strip...

the more I think about this the more it bothers me...

I'm pretty sure baseball players wouldn't mind if they shortened the distance between the bases, and football players wouldn't be against playing on 80 yard fields; but that doesn't me we, as fans, should just accept the change and say "thank you sir, may I have another"...I hope it's a temporary change, and had NHRA announced it as such, there probably wouldn't be the gnashing of teeth over this, like there is now

but frankly, what bothers me FAR more than the change is the attitude that some people have that because we are "just fans" we should be bothered, upset, disapointed or whatever in teh announced change...
the argument that because we don't participant our opinions are irrelevant is, well, I can't say it on a polite message board, but suffice it to say you wouldn't want to step in it...it's like saying because we've never tried to hit a 100mph fast ball we shouldn't have an opinion on Barry Bonds, or because we've never held public office we shouldn't have an opinion on how politicians conduct themselves...

anyway enough rambling...if this change is temporary until they come up with a better way to slow the cars down, OK I'm all for that...if not, <shrug> I don't how many more fundamental changes the NHRA can make before I, and maybe others, move on to something else...

I came in here for an arguement!
No you didn't.
Yes I did.
No you didn't.
Yes I did.
No you didn't.
Yes I did.
No you didn't.
Yes I did.
No you didn't.
Yes I did.

Mike, I'm just a fan. I welcome everyones opinion, but lets face it, some opinions are worth more than others. I kinda think John Forces opinion means more than mine.
What bugs me is the assumption that this is just a knee jerk reaction. I don't believe that at all. Wally Parks advocated 1000 ft the last few years. NHRA hasn't rushed into this decision, neither has PRO.
As far as tradition goes, well things change.
Top Gas Eliminator! I was sorry that went!
Injected FC's!
Fuel Altereds!
A/GS cars!
All cool things that are gone forever really, because the world, and racing changes. The sky is NOT falling if we go to 1000ft to save lives.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back