Runaway Trailer (1 Viewer)

Drag Racing Internet Magazine - Competition Plus.com - SCARY MOMENT IN DENVER

With all the talk of safety, I wonder when was the last time they bothered to check the breakaway device for the electric brakes or the condition of the safety chains.

If this was a run-away while towing across a parking lot, Lord help us if this had happened going down the highway.

Even if the electric breakaway switch and battery backup were functioning properly I don't think it would have helped. I'm not an electric brake expert but I'm pretty sure electric trailer brakes only work when rolling forward..... because of how the electric magnets drag on the inside of the brake drum.

I've never lost a trailer but it's always been one of my biggest fears! Thank god nobody was hurt!

I'm not an electric trailer brake expert either, but I would think that the intent of "safety chains" is to keep the trailer attached to the tow vehicle.

Obviously, that didn't happen in this case.

Now, if the trailer drug the Hummer down the hill with it, that would be a completely different story.

I'm not an electric trailer brake expert either, but I would think that the intent of "safety chains" is to keep the trailer attached to the tow vehicle.

I agree!

Some of the safety chains and hooks I've seen on these big enclosed trailers are downright scary looking! I'm not saying Don's trailer had bad safety equipment! I'm just saying "in general" I've seen some crappy stuff out there.

Another thing to think about is where the chain was attached to the tow vehicle. Some of these receiver hitches have safety chain "holes" stamped out of a flat piece of steel then welded onto the hitch. It wouldn't take much force to rip the hook through the hole on some of these hitches.

THE SHOE has to be thankin his lucky stars for the Vegas actions of the NHRA. Later followed by testing ban ( cause VP CAN NOT FIND FUEL BUT THROUGH A "BROKER" IN CHINA!!!!). true story...ask KB.

CAN you IMAGINE that trailer suffering the same fate filled the the SHOES "testing fuel"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOW.
:eek:

Have any of you ever pulled into the pits in Denver???the road in is a very steep hill.Even if the chains and safety brake did work,it would still go down that big hill.This is nothing new there,it has happen many times before.

I agree with Paul, the place where it happened climbed from basically the 'bottom' level to the top level in less than 100 yards. Steep for a tag trailer.

Most of the trailers come in from the North side of the track because the climb isn't as drastic.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back