Larry Dixon gone from Alan Johnson Racing (1 Viewer)

I'm sure this makes no sense, but I have to say it. From a marketability standpoint or even a fan based standpoint, why would you put an unknown like Balooshi in a top rate car? Honestly, I mostly follow and cheer on the drivers, not the crew or owners. I'm sure there are a lot of fans like me that feel the same way.

Does this make sense? :D

The rumor is now AJR is going to run 2 cars, with 2 new drivers, and both drivers are champions. That rules out almost everybody named on this thread. Scelzi maybe? Could be even Tony P.. Either way this rules out Lucas, Langdon, JR, I still do not see Lucas or Langdon with AJR, Lucas has a big deal with GEICO, Langdon has Lucas, I think Forrest wants to at least primary sponsor 1 car with his company on the side for the full tour.

This post reminded me that in Lee Beards interview on Comp Plus, he said Cruz would expand out to a two car team if the funds were there...hmmm.. Wouldn't he want to bring over Tony and whatever funds he had OR is that code for "Tony has landed a TF ride"

I'm sure this makes no sense, but I have to say it. From a marketability standpoint or even a fan based standpoint, why would you put an unknown like Balooshi in a top rate car? Honestly, I mostly follow and cheer on the drivers, not the crew or owners. I'm sure there are a lot of fans like me that feel the same way.

because he mite be a really good driver? who knew who matt hagen was
4 years ago?.... i've heard and seen more accomplishments of balooshi in the
last couple of years than i ever did of matt hagen before he joined DSR.

not to mention qatari owned / qatari driven certainly does make sense.

Its a simple answer; its a privately funded team.

because he mite be a really good driver? who knew who matt hagen was
4 years ago?.... i've heard and seen more accomplishments of balooshi in the
last couple of years than i ever did of matt hagen before he joined DSR.

not to mention qatari owned / qatari driven certainly does make sense.

Good point, especially your last sentence. HOWEVER, the essence of my original concern is still valid. We always talk about drag racing being an American / Family sport. Frankly, I have always had a problem with Qatar money buying their way into the NHRA as opposed to working their way up like JFR, DSR, Bernstein etc etc. I just tolerated it because they hired many of the best individuals in the NHRA...Johnson, Dixon, Jason McCullough etc etc.

Like I said before, I know I'm not making much sense, however, I know my concern has a little truth to it. :)

Good point, especially your last sentence. HOWEVER, the essence of my original concern is still valid. We always talk about drag racing being an American / Family sport. Frankly, I have always had a problem with Qatar money buying their way into the NHRA as opposed to working their way up like JFR, DSR, Bernstein etc etc. I just tolerated it because they hired many of the best individuals in the NHRA...Johnson, Dixon, Jason McCullough etc etc.

Like I said before, I know I'm not making much sense, however, I know my concern has a little truth to it. :)

I agree with you completely.This sport is the last,close to all USA one still left. USA made parts throughout.
It will be very interesting to see how this all shakes out....

My opinion on the players involved:

AJ: more motivated by a challenge than money.

Sheik: The Qatari ruling family would love to have a Qatari national as a successful participant in the NHRA to bring world-wide exposure.

M Lucas: He and Bernstein are good friends, as are he and Shawn Langdon. Lucas/Copart business-to-business synergy brings a lot to the table. F Lucas and M Lucas have to be frustrated by their lack of success/return on investment.

Lucas Oil/Qatar: Unlimited international business opportunities for both entities.

Langdon: Versatile, talented driver that can win races and championships with a good car under him. No disrespect to Stewie, LOTS more went on behind the scenes at MLR than we know about, IMO.

Bernstein: Race-winning capable driver, handicapped by being on single-car team. Great with fans and media. Bernstein name still commands respect and exposure for NHRA.

Dixon: Maybe headed to an ownership role? This would be a good time for a new team owner to sit-out a year to see if the NHRA changes the nitro rules.

if it is True that Khalid Balooshi will have the Al Anabi Ride then Good Luck to him. it is good for the sport to have competitors from as many Countries as Possible. i Dream of seeing a European TF Driver get a full time ride in NHRA. there are many very capable drivers here and that would be amazing like it will be for the people of Qatar If this is True.

as for the "Buying the championship" stuff. i think we should be thankful that they have wanted to invest their Money into Drag Racing and Not something else. although Cutting sponsorship Mid season is not the best of ways to go about Things.

Langdon will do Fantastic and would be a title Contender from the word Go.

and Brandon at MLR makes sense.

this just Leaves Dixon ......

Yes I would love to race in TF... But I can say I am not the 1 going in the car.. I do talk to Chad Head but he has not said anything about the deal... I heard at the PRI show that Brandon was going to MLR and Langdon and Balooshi were going to AJ.... I would bet the bank on that..... Who will fund all of them or says they will fund them who knows the truth... I would drive anything if someone wants me too...:D:D:D

Now, that's what you want to hear from a qualified racecar driver. Not "for the right money" or "for the right team" but "just let me race!"

I hope someone steps up and gives you a ride.

I second that completely I just got done with Matt Smith's Career stats, pretty impressive, kinda underrated.

Wasnt John Stewart let go?? If so then if Brandon is coming over to MLR is he bringing the copart cc's and crew?

I agree. Grow the sport -- and it wouldn't hurt to bring some additional money to the table with international sponsorships.

Let's all hope the economy gets better all around but (not to get too political), it might be another year before that happens.

Lastly, I certainly hope "The Arab Spring" doesn't throw a monkey wrench into the mix. 'Course if that disrupts things in Qatar, Drag Racing will be the least of anyone's worries.

if it is True that Khalid Balooshi will have the Al Anabi Ride then Good Luck to him. it is good for the sport to have competitors from as many Countries as Possible. i Dream of seeing a European TF Driver get a full time ride in NHRA. there are many very capable drivers here and that would be amazing like it will be for the people of Qatar If this is True.

as for the "Buying the championship" stuff. i think we should be thankful that they have wanted to invest their Money into Drag Racing and Not something else. although Cutting sponsorship Mid season is not the best of ways to go about Things.

Langdon will do Fantastic and would be a title Contender from the word Go.

and Brandon at MLR makes sense.

this just Leaves Dixon ......

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back