Tom Compton MIA? (1 Viewer)

I don't feel entitled to any information. I am ambivalent towards this situation (though I certainly hope nothing bad has happened to Compton or his family). I was just merely pointing out how bad this could possibly look from the outside and even from the inside to NHRAs partners. I also understand NHRA is under no legal obligation to tell anyone anything, but it is still OK to ask questions of them when the boss goes AWOL for 2 months.

This is it for me on this topic. I have never suggested there's anything illegal about NHRA's continuing refusal to address the issue of Mr. Compton being gone since the middle of March. I did not editorialize about him being away from the job, it was all about NHRA not publicly acknowledging that fact in a meaningful way. Why are you assuming that I have a personal problem with Mr. Compton being gone? I don't. Why would I?

Sorry, but as of this date NHRA has NOT reached out to either its sponsors or the national event track operators with an explanation of what's going on and who's running the show. Only rumors have addressed that topic. If, however, NHRA has reached out to those sponsors and tracks, I'm unaware of it -- but based on the calls and emails I've received as recently as today from the tracks as well as from numerous sponsors, that hasn't happened. Further, without any prompting from me some of those people have stated they've tried to contact NHRA for a factual explanation of what's going on, and their calls have gone unreturned. The rumors about what's going on have spread far beyond the so-called "inner circle."

I have no clue why you guys think this isn't important. Yes, NHRA has no legal obligation to tell anyone anything, but successful business partnerships demand honesty and candor from both sides, and in this instance one partner appears to be ignoring the growing concerns of the other. That's all this is about -- the failure by NHRA to adequately keep their business partners apprised of what's going on. Yes, it appears that there have been talks behind closed doors in Glendora, but those conversations appear to have been strictly internal, with the conscious decision having been made regarding the boilerplate email responses that NHRA has sent to anyone asking questions about Mr. Compton's whereabouts and status with the company.

Why slam Chris Cook for comparing Compton's absence to one of Goodell? Clearly the two organizations operate on different levels (heck, different planets!), but Chris is right:

All it would have taken is a 3 or 4 line press release up front stating Compton was stepping away for a generic reason (family issue or whatever), here is what we are going to do in his absence (interim CEO or plan) and here is when we expect him back.

So is Andy DaRoss:

They could've handled this quickly and efficiently and the only questioning would've been left to the general public (as is apt to happen in our society today) on boards like this, blogs, and social media.

THAT'S THE ISSUE HERE: The failure to handle this quickly and efficiently some 45 days ago.

Jon Asher

I think some of us have made some good points about Mr. Asher article. Why was this an important topic?? Because lately everyone including reporters think they have the right to know everything about people's, or presidents of companies, private business. And thats not right. Compton and NHRA have no responsibility to Asher or comp plus. But yet he says they are arrogant and irresponsible for not telling the world why Mr Compton is away from his duties. Wrong! That sounds like an argument Rupert Murdoch might make.
Anyway the real reason Compton is not at NHRA is because he is running for President and he has been out fund raising . He will announce his bid for the republican nomination the day after Jeb Bush and Donald Trump. Then the rumors will really fly.....

Just curious. What if you were an NHRA member, paying the freight and all. Would you have a right to know?

While we're at it, any chance of NHRA finally releasing that Darell Russel report? I'm pretty sure Dim Light promised us it would be out in "60 days." :rolleyes:

I look at it this way ... In any industry, one of the marks of a good leader (regardless of your personal opinion) is how the company operates during an extended absence or gap in leadership. Obviously, the Management team in Glendora is made up of people that know what to do, when, and how. This is what NHRA business partners see. Companies aren't investing their $$ with the NHRA President, they are investing in the sport itself. If NHRA runs as normal (or better), what difference does it make who is (or isn't) at the helm and the reasons why. As long as Mr. Compton has done nothing to directly smear their corporate image or misuse the funds, those partners are probably not nearly as concerned as many here want to believe. Time to move on ... I am.

I look at it this way ... In any industry, one of the marks of a good leader (regardless of your personal opinion) is how the company operates during an extended absence or gap in leadership. Obviously, the Management team in Glendora is made up of people that know what to do, when, and how. This is what NHRA business partners see. Companies aren't investing their $$ with the NHRA President, they are investing in the sport itself. If NHRA runs as normal (or better), what difference does it make who is (or isn't) at the helm and the reasons why. As long as Mr. Compton has done nothing to directly smear their corporate image or misuse the funds, those partners are probably not nearly as concerned as many here want to believe. Time to move on ... I am.
These guys wonderful, not. Coke and the other sponsors are only there because they got a real cheap deal from Glendora. Same with ESPN only worse, no income at all. Obviously the management team in Glendora is made up of incompetent people.

These guys wonderful, not. Coke and the other sponsors are only there because they got a real cheap deal from Glendora. Same with ESPN only worse, no income at all. Obviously the management team in Glendora is made up of incompetent people.

Maybe no one wants to work with the NHRA, did you ever think of that? Why do you think everybody id dying to work with the NHRA, they don't have much to offer, just look at their attendance!

Maybe no one wants to work with the NHRA, did you ever think of that? Why do you think everybody id dying to work with the NHRA, they don't have much to offer, just look at their attendance!
Thank you. That is why it all goes back to Glendora, mainly Compton and Light.

If you guys knew a fraction of what NHRA and its staff did to prepare HPT for the Nationals you might think different. When NHRA arrived they found the place to be an absolute $hithole of a dump. 12+ hours for a week before the event by the Safari, Pit Control, and other full time employees on NHRA staff mowing grass, fixing grandstands, cleaning the filthy tower and media centers, filling pot holes in spectator walking areas, weeding, mending fences ... not to mention preparing a race track and Pit Area that were neglected, ignored and dormant for some time. And then, after all that, those same people hosted one of the best drag races of the season. But you are right, what incompetence. Think the sponsors were pleased ?? Think the ticket buying public was pleased ?? Think the City of Topeka was pleased?? Think the participants were pleased ?? The Pros had heard the ugly rumors but found all to be as good as possible upon their arrival.

Sounds like a company that is operating just fine and knows exactly what to do, with or without a President. Oh forgot to mention, all done at NHRA's expense.

If you guys knew a fraction of what NHRA and its staff did to prepare HPT for the Nationals you might think different. When NHRA arrived they found the place to be an absolute $hithole of a dump. 12+ hours for a week before the event by the Safari, Pit Control, and other full time employees on NHRA staff mowing grass, fixing grandstands, cleaning the filthy tower and media centers, filling pot holes in spectator walking areas, weeding, mending fences ... not to mention preparing a race track and Pit Area that were neglected, ignored and dormant for some time. And then, after all that, those same people hosted one of the best drag races of the season. But you are right, what incompetence. Think the sponsors were pleased ?? Think the ticket buying public was pleased ?? Think the City of Topeka was pleased?? Think the participants were pleased ?? The Pros had heard the ugly rumors but found all to be as good as possible upon their arrival.

Sounds like a company that is operating just fine and knows exactly what to do, with or without a President. Oh forgot to mention, all done at NHRA's expense.
Not impressed. They can not even fix the tracks they own. Watched them sit on their asses for years and do nothing. One event is not going to change my mind.

It is nice the defenders of the NHRA has added another member. Another 5 years it might get up to a dozen.

NHRA has always touted itself as the largest motor racing organization in the world. They do this by counting how many members they have.
Most of the time when you become a paying member of an organization you have the right to vote and suggest changes, etc..- similar to a union. NHRA doesn't today, nor ever has seen it that way. The so called Management has total control of everything and the members no input what-so-ever.
Your membership in NHRA only means that you have signed up for a mediocre house paper and a couple of discounts you can use for tickets when you go to their races.
To be able to participate in the races they put on you HAVE to be a member. It has been said by many racers that if their was another organization that put on races - like the old AHRA, UDRA etc they would be happy to race their and never have to go to a NHRA event ever again.

2qjc8yx.gif

The Hot Rod article goes along with Asher's position:

'Unfortunately the NHRA’s curious stonewalling and refusal to respond to inquiries about Compton runs counter to what public relations is, and regrettably shrouds Compton’s absence in secrecy.'

It's not difficult to comprehend.... At this point, the issue does not specifically involve why Compton is away, but why the NHRA has been so silent and secretive about the absence itself.

If you consider yourself a leading motorsport association, as Glendora has claimed to be on several occasions, you simply can't, nor should you, operate in such a manner.

I hope this is no serious situation involving Compton, but NHRA is doing him no favor by their actions, or lack thereof....

Last edited:
It looks like there is nothing new here...so, i guess i will check back at a later date to see if there is any breaking news in this matter. Meanwhile, the haulers are all parked here in Bristol and all the teams are ready to burn some rubber.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back