Tom Compton MIA? (1 Viewer)

If Mr Compton has indeed been arrested, wouldn't it be public record? I really don't care to spend the time, but couldn't one of these expert internet journalists just do a search and confirm or deny this? I certainly don't care for the way current NHRA leaders are running the association or how this situation has been handled, but if Mr. Compton is having a legitimate personal or family problem, it is none of our business.

Regarding the comments about voting members of NHRA, you can forget that. "Membership" in NHRA does give the individual who's paid for the privilege any rights whatsoever. Those went out the window way back in the late 70s/early 80s when NHRA sent out proxies to the membership asking them to approve a plan under which the Board of Directors would make all future decisions without the need to consult, in any way, with the membership. It only took (by law) a simple majority of the respondents to get it passed, meaning that if only 100 members signed and returned their proxies, that's all the Board needed. I was at Car Craft Magazine at that point and almost everyone on the staff was heavily involved in drag racing, either as a car owner, driver or in some other capacity. Anyway, we knew we couldn't ask Petersen Publishing's attorney about this because he was also NHRA's attorney of record (no conflict there, right?), so we sought outside legal advice. After looking everything over the attorney advised us that it would be possible to overturn the proxy vote giving everything to the Board of Directors, but in order to do so we would need the proxy votes of fully 75% of the total NHRA membership, not just a simple majority. The attorney then went on to outline the problems we'd be up against. The first thing we'd need was a complete list of the NHRA members with their addresses. The attorney said they could probably stall that request for as long as six months. We'd need that list to send out our plea that those members vote for retaining their powers as members. Meanwhile, while we'd be using our personal money for this effort, including printing, mailing and everything else we'd have to do, the attorney would be billing us by the hour for anything he did to assist. At the same time, NHRA would be able to use the "free" pages of National Dragster to attack any move to limit the power of the Board. Once the attorney realized that (sad to say) the vast majority of competitors only cared about who had the left lane, and only wanted to race and could have cared less about who was running things as long as they could race, he (correctly) advised us that we'd have zero chance of getting 75% of the membership to support anything that would go against NHRA management. We gave up before we even started, and that's where things stand today. Membership is meaningless. It only buys you a subscription to Dragster, some limited discounts on national event tickets and reportedly, some additional insurance if you're injured at the track.

Jon Asher

If he had been arrested, then yes, it would indeed be a matter of public record. That's why I don't think that's what happened. If it had, someone would have dredged up the official report by now.

I sincerely wish Mr Compton the best, and hope nothing catastrophic has happened to him or any of his family.

Regarding the comments about voting members of NHRA, you can forget that. "Membership" in NHRA does give the individual who's paid for the privilege any rights whatsoever. Those went out the window way back in the late 70s/early 80s when NHRA sent out proxies to the membership asking them to approve a plan under which the Board of Directors would make all future decisions without the need to consult, in any way, with the membership. It only took (by law) a simple majority of the respondents to get it passed, meaning that if only 100 members signed and returned their proxies, that's all the Board needed. I was at Car Craft Magazine at that point and almost everyone on the staff was heavily involved in drag racing, either as a car owner, driver or in some other capacity. Anyway, we knew we couldn't ask Petersen Publishing's attorney about this because he was also NHRA's attorney of record (no conflict there, right?), so we sought outside legal advice. After looking everything over the attorney advised us that it would be possible to overturn the proxy vote giving everything to the Board of Directors, but in order to do so we would need the proxy votes of fully 75% of the total NHRA membership, not just a simple majority. The attorney then went on to outline the problems we'd be up against. The first thing we'd need was a complete list of the NHRA members with their addresses. The attorney said they could probably stall that request for as long as six months. We'd need that list to send out our plea that those members vote for retaining their powers as members. Meanwhile, while we'd be using our personal money for this effort, including printing, mailing and everything else we'd have to do, the attorney would be billing us by the hour for anything he did to assist. At the same time, NHRA would be able to use the "free" pages of National Dragster to attack any move to limit the power of the Board. Once the attorney realized that (sad to say) the vast majority of competitors only cared about who had the left lane, and only wanted to race and could have cared less about who was running things as long as they could race, he (correctly) advised us that we'd have zero chance of getting 75% of the membership to support anything that would go against NHRA management. We gave up before we even started, and that's where things stand today. Membership is meaningless. It only buys you a subscription to Dragster, some limited discounts on national event tickets and reportedly, some additional insurance if you're injured at the track.

Jon Asher

You are right. The only way to break up their little country club would be a buy out by the members, total boycott of NHRA or a violent hostel take over. None of those will ever happen.

Last edited:
Are they still paying him? If so why? Is he still in line for the year end bonuses? All that money could go to track improvement on the dumps they own or into better payouts. Why is Light still there? More money they could save. The next time Compton or Light do something worth while will be the first time.

Are they still paying him? If so why? Is he still in line for the year end bonuses? All that money could go to track improvement on the dumps they own or into better payouts. Why is Light still there? More money they could save. The next time Compton or Light do something worth while will be the first time.

I agree with John! This would be a GREAT opportunity to turn the management of the NHRA over to all of the experts here on the Mater! After all, running the NHRA, running the tracks, keeping the fans happy, keeping the racers happy, keeping the TV networks happy, and keeping the sponsors happy are all very simple, according to the Mater experts. Then, in their spare time, the Mater experts could build, tune and drive the cars that race in the NHRA, because when you criticize from behind a keyboard, EVERYTHING looks easy.

I agree with John! This would be a GREAT opportunity to turn the management of the NHRA over to all of the experts here on the Mater! After all, running the NHRA, running the tracks, keeping the fans happy, keeping the racers happy, keeping the TV networks happy, and keeping the sponsors happy are all very simple, according to the Mater experts. Then, in their spare time, the Mater experts could build, tune and drive the cars that race in the NHRA, because when you criticize from behind a keyboard, EVERYTHING looks easy.

Hit it with your purse Shirley, it might make you feel better.

Honest, you fanboys that take such offense to people having an opinion need to cinch up your undies so they don't chafe so much.

Last edited:
Your post is bound to hit a few nerves as it did Kevins...but, sometimes the truth does that.:)

So if you disagree you are nothing but a evil critic, if you only agree then you are a fan boy. Doesn't seem like much middle group to actually have conversations. Conversations is where change can happen, not saying that we are going to change anything here but just a general life principle.

Your post is bound to hit a few nerves as it did Kevins...but, sometimes the truth does that.:)

Not really hitting a nerve, as it's gone past that. I want to see these same folks act this way in a real world setting, as it's more about the social pressure that's applied at some point every other thread here. At some point, no matter the topic, someone comes on and types one sentence that is meant to belittle everyone's views and discussions. You've seen them. The Anti-Discussion Coalition. You hardly ever see someone act that way or say those types of things when in real face-to-face discussion unless they're friends teasing each other, or it's someone trying to annoy others. So when someone like that, who acts like that, wants to "school" me about hiding behind a keyboard, yeah, it's greater than a nerve.

What I take exception to is someone's general statement that the people in certain positions are there because they are the best. I think if you have lived longer than 20 years in this world, you know how false that belief is. The belief that no one could possibly understand the fine nuances of each position, because, it's just too complicated for mere mortals to comprehend is a lazy person's way out of thinking. The truth? The truth is it's not so shocking and amazing that there's intelligent people on this site that enjoy the "discussion" on discussion boards.

Am I a good replacement for an NHRA President? Hell no. Never even thought that looked like any fun, and I am not very political.

Can I have an opinion on the NHRA President even though I don't want the job? Honestly, why not?

Could I make a more exciting and interesting broadcast? I think my 13 yr old nephew could, and I don't even have a 13 yr old nephew.

That's all. I don't care if you disagree with me, or agree with me, I welcome a well formed opinion. What gets me, and always has, is an uninformed opinion. Someone that says "It's better because it just is." is about as useful as (fill in your personal popular euphemism)

So yes, I love opinionated people if they've done their homework. Makes for fascinating conversations and if you listen really carefully, you might just pick a few things up, and sometimes, a good argument can sway your opinion.

Say "I think you're all JO's because you have an opinion on this" and I discount you as a lemming.
Say "I think you're all JO's because your opinion is opposite mine" and I discount you as a curmudgeon.
Say "I think you're all JO's because your opinion is missing these important parts" and then you list why you think the way you think, then you're an interesting person with a head on your shoulders and I'll listen to what you have to say.

Good conversation is hardly ever had when everyone agrees and offers a bunch of "yups" and "you said it"

I just get tired of people stating things, yet they can't be bothered with actually explaining why they came to that conclusion.

I know a lot of people see my comments and just skip them because there's too many words.
I'm okay with that.

As much as everyone bitches about Tom Compton, he really did a lot for the sport. Before he arrived, it took 8 hours or more to get Sunday eliminations completed. It was through his leadership that the show was taken to a more compact, professional entertainment package, with a much more professional television package. Before this, we had one oil down after another, 30 minute track clean ups, waiting to clear the traps, etc. He implemented the 75 minute rule, engine diapers, oil down penalties, push vehicles, and brought in Coca Cola products as the series sponsor. All of this was in an effort to tighten up the show. I've been going to the drags my whole life, but when I go to a modern NHRA event I feel like I'm definitely getting my money's worth. They're extremely well run, on time, very professional in presentation and some where that a team can court potential sponsors. NHRA has had it's bad points during his tenure, but it was definitely not all negative.

That's all. I don't care if you disagree with me, or agree with me, I welcome a well formed opinion. What gets me, and always has, is an uninformed opinion. Someone that says "It's better because it just is." is about as useful as (fill in your personal popular euphemism)

So yes, I love opinionated people if they've done their homework. Makes for fascinating conversations and if you listen really carefully, you might just pick a few things up, and sometimes, a good argument can sway your opinion.

Say "I think you're all JO's because you have an opinion on this" and I discount you as a lemming.
Say "I think you're all JO's because your opinion is opposite mine" and I discount you as a curmudgeon.
Say "I think you're all JO's because your opinion is missing these important parts" and then you list why you think the way you think, then you're an interesting person with a head on your shoulders and I'll listen to what you have to say.

Good conversation is hardly ever had when everyone agrees and offers a bunch of "yups" and "you said it"

I just get tired of people stating things, yet they can't be bothered with actually explaining why they came to that conclusion.

I know a lot of people see my comments and just skip them because there's too many words.
I'm okay with that.

Excellent. This can apply in so many aspects of life today from social media, to politics, to rival sports teams fans.

I got called out on a Facebook post recently for it being "too long" (about six sentences, ooooh), when all it was was my opinion backed up by facts, suggestions to help a situation, and a "thank you" for my opinion being allowed to be offered. Sad that a little piece of me that cares to have just the type of discussion you mention, died inside, as pertaining to the internet.

I am ready willing and able to give Clifford a shot. He has huge challenges ahead....putting butts in the seats, increasing the number and quality of the pro cars in the show, convincing Coca Cola drag racing deserves better than Mello Yello, convincing ESPN that drag racing has value, restoring the faith and enthusiasm of the sportsman racers, reviving the contengency program, reviving the manufacturers midway, and most importantly, putting a human face on NHRA management.

The most beloved NHRA manager never drove a car down the track in competitioon, so I am confident the right guy to run the circus doesn't necessarily need to be a racer. He just needs to understand and relate to them.

I am ready willing and able to give Clifford a shot. He has huge challenges ahead....putting butts in the seats, increasing the number and quality of the pro cars in the show, convincing Coca Cola drag racing deserves better than Mello Yello, convincing ESPN that drag racing has value, restoring the faith and enthusiasm of the sportsman racers, reviving the contengency program, reviving the manufacturers midway, and most importantly, putting a human face on NHRA management.

I posted This about Tom Compton in February of this year:

Compton hasn't been all bad, he has keep a title sponsor for the series, expanded the schedule, he has kept the racing same day on ESPN2 and every other racing series in America (save NASCAR) would KILL to have NHRA's gate receipts, even if they are down. And every other drag racing series in America has either imploded or gone to a booked-in format in the last few years, while Compton has kept NHRA a viable open format racing series. Granted, that appears to be the ceiling of what he can accomplish but there is something to be said for keeping the ship upright when everyone else's is sinking.

http://www.nitromater.com/threads/nhra-pro-classes-sold.37374/

As much as everyone bitches about Tom Compton, he really did a lot for the sport. Before he arrived, it took 8 hours or more to get Sunday eliminations completed. It was through his leadership that the show was taken to a more compact, professional entertainment package, with a much more professional television package. Before this, we had one oil down after another, 30 minute track clean ups, waiting to clear the traps, etc. He implemented the 75 minute rule, engine diapers, oil down penalties, push vehicles, and brought in Coca Cola products as the series sponsor. All of this was in an effort to tighten up the show. I've been going to the drags my whole life, but when I go to a modern NHRA event I feel like I'm definitely getting my money's worth. They're extremely well run, on time, very professional in presentation and some where that a team can court potential sponsors. NHRA has had it's bad points during his tenure, but it was definitely not all negative.

Very true he hasn't been all bad. When Winston dropped out and he was able to land Coke that was a big deal. Granted the money was nowhere near what it was but he still landed a big name. I won't go through and list an entire good or bad (damn countdown) of Compton. He wasn't all bad nor was he great. I think it was time for a new person to see where they can take this. Good luck to him in his "retirement" and Good luck to the new guy.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back