Tom Compton (1 Viewer)

Yes, but my point is: As a non-profit - It is not THEIR'S to sell.
If they are representing stalking horses for anyone who might want to (eventually) purchase NHRA (i.e. Brunton/HDP) then, they are breaching their fiduciary duty to the non-profit.
They are not selling the NHRA... they are selling assets of the NHRA. The tracks, Glendora, and the national events are merely assets of the not-for-profit enity.

The only thing that I read in that artical that is a positive is this "$2.600,000 of HDP stock figuring the value at the current price."

If those guys are receiving that much in stocks, that's one hell of a reason to want to grow and improve the sport. Otherwise the stock values become worthless.

Incompetence, sure.

Murder, no.

He is not killing the sport, the NHRA is no better or worse off than when he took over, with the possible exception of bringing in Powerade when Winston bailed. There are more sponsors willing to do business with NHRA now than when the sport ran on tobacco money. But he should still have realized more growth since Powewrade came in in '02 or '03, something that would be in at least proportional to his increases in salary.

Again, I reiterate, the HDP takeover will be status quo if they leave Compton in charge. Kinda like meet the new boss, same as the old boss. I am not for entirely reinventing the wheel, the NHRA and it's people do many things well, but the top of the organization is stagnant and needs new blood. I would like to see HDP come in, and after a transitional period of say 6 months, bring in fresh blood and ideas. I nominate Chris Blair .....
I will second that motion

Last edited:
The only thing that I read in that artical that is a positive is this "$2.600,000 of HDP stock figuring the value at the current price."

If those guys are receiving that much in stocks, that's one hell of a reason to want to grow and improve the sport. Otherwise the stock values become worthless.

Yes, BUT this could also give them extra incentive to FLIP. All the stock (and long term contract), most likely, vest upon "change of control".

Lucky boy, eh?

NHRA is worse off now then it was in my opinion. Very little has come out of Glendora in the last few years that I could consider to be a truly positive event for the NHRA and drag racing as a whole.

The Powerade deal is/was terrible for NHRA Drag Racing. Compton and his crew sold out to the lowest bidder in a panic and effectively pigeon-holed the NHRA into a 2nd or 3rd tier commodity. Especially since Coca-Cola has done absolutely nothing to activate thier sponsorship. Compare what Nextel has done, all be it with a 1st tier commodity in Nascar, to activate their partnership... they have huge advertising campaign centered around Nascar. When was the last time Powerade has any kind of cross promotion with NHRA other than some in-store displays?

The ESPN contract is another blunder in my opinion. Paying for the production of your television broadcast and not having any control? What kind of deal is that?

And don't get me started on the attitude of the upper management towards the sportsman racers.

The Powerade deal is/was terrible for NHRA Drag Racing. Especially since Coca-Cola has done absolutely nothing to activate thier sponsorship. Compare what Nextel has done, all be it with a 1st tier commodity in Nascar, to activate their partnership... they have huge advertising campaign centered around Nascar. When was the last time Powerade has any kind of cross promotion with NHRA other than some in-store displays?

I disagree with you somewhat Greg, the PowerADE deal has had some benefits, the end of year payouts doubled (still not enough, but better than it was) and more sponsors have come in, or have been more willing to come in since the sport no longer runs on Tobacco money. But you are correct that Coca-Cola has done NOTHING to realize any benefits from the series sponsorship.

Okay, my take on the whole thing...

First, RJR was forced out of the Title Sponsorship by the Government... good or bad in the long run... it was what it was.

NHRA selling off assets. Land I understand, the right to use the name for national events, okay. But, they can't sell the Teams that will have to make up the fields for these events. Does a contract with the NHRA to hold an event transfer or is HDP going to have to resign all the National Event tracks.
In other words, what if they gave a race and nobody showed up?

I think what bugs me the most, I haven't seen new ideas come out on the promotional side of major league drag racing in years. Just a spin on what other sports are doing... It should be How We Are Different, not how we can be like everyone else... in this, Mister Compton has failed.

The other thing that bugs me, Using 'Crash and Burn' footage to promote events... Is John's crash the next 30 second spot? Do we really have to 'Geek' the sport?

d'kid

Marketing and all else aside, IF you retain the same people with the same ideas and ways of doing things you are going to get the same results....

I believe it was Einstien who said: "The definition of INSANITY, doing the same thhing over and over again and expecting different results....."

If the people in charge, whoever, don't have a fresh direction and ideas it simply won't matter.

Not negative, just a dose of reality.
jim

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back