Olsen wants 90% in '08 (1 Viewer)

Joe,
Dan Olson has had extensive discussions with most of the front line crew chiefs on the switch back to 90%. Although the change to 85% was implemented "overnight" that was a knee jerk reaction to the situation at the time. In the ensuing period the teams have changed a lot of components to compensate for the lesser percentage and going back to more latent heat as in 90% will require several component changes. With the current shortage of hard parts and the lead time for the teams to restock their inventory waiting until 08 sounds like a good plan.
I was talking to one of the leading F/C crew cheifs last night and he said that the 85% rule is costing all of the teams a huge amount of money as component life (crank, rods and pistons) is dismal at this time.

Roo

I never understood going to 85%. I looked at that crash one day (morbid curiosity, some douche bag put it in a "crash comp" on streetfire :mad:) and it looked like a tire went down which caused the dragster to initially break up, not a motor explosion.

Going back to the topic, I support going back to 90%, the A-fuelers sound meaner right now. :rolleyes:

You should check out a Nostalgia FC race near you. Just like the good ol' days.
There just isn't enough of that up here in the pacific northwest. :( And then when they are somewhat close it seems I have to work or something. If I was back in the midwest it would be a lot easier to go watch a nostalgia race.

There just isn't enough of that up here in the pacific northwest. :( And then when they are somewhat close it seems I have to work or something. If I was back in the midwest it would be a lot easier to go watch a nostalgia race.

Brent:

NOT TRUE!

Bucky is driving Steve Plueger's car and is actually sponsoring events up there.

We did some testing 3-4 weeks ago at Bakersfield. Bucky was there, too, driving Steve's NFC. Made my eyes water for TWO reasons.

Check out this link.

Horsepower Heaven Television Bucky Austin nitro funny car

Randy

90% COOL BEANS!!! Can't wait to hear the popping and banging. Too bad not this year. Haven't been there to know, does the valley amplify the sounds at Bristol?

Lee
Nitroclovers

Yes! let's get the cars sounding right again. I'd be willing to bet 90% would save money because of less parts attrition. They're running quicker and faster on 85% which means they're winding the rubber band pretty tight and the rev limiter seems to be doing "interesting" things on the top end

D

Joe,
Dan Olson has had extensive discussions with most of the front line crew chiefs on the switch back to 90%. Although the change to 85% was implemented "overnight" that was a knee jerk reaction to the situation at the time. In the ensuing period the teams have changed a lot of components to compensate for the lesser percentage and going back to more latent heat as in 90% will require several component changes. With the current shortage of hard parts and the lead time for the teams to restock their inventory waiting until 08 sounds like a good plan.
I was talking to one of the leading F/C crew cheifs last night and he said that the 85% rule is costing all of the teams a huge amount of money as component life (crank, rods and pistons) is dismal at this time.

Roo

Keith , you obviously know a lot of these guys so your point makes a lot of sense. But how tough is it to reduce Blower% or run Thicker Head gaskets? If I'm being naive fill me in.

It's just like when TA/FC was changed from 125% overdrive to 92% overdrive. It was supposed to save us money because it dropped the boost, but in the long (and short) run it's cost a ton of money. Now a perfect blower is very critical. High RPM's are a must. Valve train is taking a tremendous beating. Diverters in the injector, coated rotors, etc., etc. Our dream come true would be a return to 125% overdrive.

RG

Randy, I was told(?) that a Majority of Alky FC guys wouldn't want to go back to 125% because of all the changes it would require(Gears, Motor position, Blower clearances(Whatever that means!) ). I even saw a thread on ITA about that.

Randy, I was told(?) that a Majority of Alky FC guys wouldn't want to go back to 125% because of all the changes it would require(Gears, Motor position, Blower clearances(Whatever that means!) ). I even saw a thread on ITA about that.

Speaking only of the people I know (and none of them post on any websites, just like Alan Johnson doesn't post on Nitromater) most would like to see 125% over. We ran 5.64 at Mission 8 years ago and the engine never went higher than 8,900 RPM on that run at 125%. At 92% whenever we ran our 5.50's when Marc White drove for me it was on wreck to do it. We ran 5.553 at Pomona in 2004. The next run it ran .02 quicker to the 1,000 foot (4.66) and may have been on a national record run at the time but it proceeded to toss 5 out of 8 rods out before the 1,050 foot mark.

I could get into the reasons, but it's like beating a dead horse so I'll save my breath. But I will say this. When Larry Miner drove for me in 2005 he told me they actually ran a 2 speed during the 125% days with their car and it ran 5.50's at over 260 miles per hour. It was very easy on parts. Look at the carniage you see today even at some of the most recent races. 92% will always be harder on parts no matter how much of a handle you have on the tune-up.

RG

Joe, the changes that you suggested would work but the motor would be happier and work better with camshaft revisions, piston changes etc so the whole cycle would start again.

Roo

Question for those in the know. How will changing back to 90% affect the run up to the rev limiter? Are they closer to the rev limit because they have to turn the engines tighter? :confused:

jim

Speaking only of the people I know (and none of them post on any websites, just like Alan Johnson doesn't post on Nitromater) most would like to see 125% over. We ran 5.64 at Mission 8 years ago and the engine never went higher than 8,900 RPM on that run at 125%. At 92% whenever we ran our 5.50's when Marc White drove for me it was on wreck to do it. We ran 5.553 at Pomona in 2004. The next run it ran .02 quicker to the 1,000 foot (4.66) and may have been on a national record run at the time but it proceeded to toss 5 out of 8 rods out before the 1,050 foot mark.

I could get into the reasons, but it's like beating a dead horse so I'll save my breath. But I will say this. When Larry Miner drove for me in 2005 he told me they actually ran a 2 speed during the 125% days with their car and it ran 5.50's at over 260 miles per hour. It was very easy on parts. Look at the carniage you see today even at some of the most recent races. 92% will always be harder on parts no matter how much of a handle you have on the tune-up.

RG

Since Bob Devour and Bob Newberry lobbyed NHRA by saying the 92% rule would make Roots cars competitive. Mayve they can start a petition to get it canned???:confused:

Lets remember that 90% was run by everybody in the past . There is no need for a great amount of testing.
Rooman is correct about the fine points of the engine combinations, but fat gaskets and 10% less blower can be done right now. Plus the old camshafts are still around on the shelves. And because they eat rods like candy, new ones are made weekly,so that change could happen quickly. If the blower was slowed down, the belts might last longer, and so would the strips.

The change for next year should be shorter rotors ,and NO rev-limiter so they stop pushing the rods into the pan in the lights, or kicking the belt off when pedaling.

FREE THE NITRO, 90% NOW :D KILL THE REV-LIMITER ! ! ! :cool:

90% COOL BEANS!!! Can't wait to hear the popping and banging. Too bad not this year. Haven't been there to know, does the valley amplify the sounds at Bristol?

Lee
Nitroclovers

Lee, I don't know where you live, but the answer to your question is YES, the valley (Thunder Valley) where Bristol Dragway is located has always echoed and/or amplified the nitro engined cars and it is a sight to behold as well as sounds to behold. Hope to go back again next year when the race is in May as it was supposed to be this year, and the temps will be in the 70's and 80's instead of the 90's like this July! The move from the last weekend in April to the 3rd weekend in May was smart as the mountains of North Carolina and Eastern Tennessee where Bristol is are sometimes in the last throes of winter at the end of April and it is usually jacket weather then...even if it didn't rain! You gotta experience it...and Bruton knows how to build a track (and rebuild one too :D ). Oh yeah, and the cackling of 90% next year (PLEASE PLEASE) will make it even better!

I got to get myself to one of those meets!!!

March 2008; 50th Anniversary of the March Meet in Bakersfield; it's going to be huge; If you haven't been to a nostalgia meet, you might as well go for the big one; you won't regret making the trip; I'll even drive you to the track everyday if it helps.:D

Popping and banging of the Nostalgia Floppers and the A-Fuelers at idle is one thing. But once that Tree comes down, those cars are still just a whimper of the Fuel cars! Stand 100' ft behind the stands when A-Fuelers are running and when a Pair of TF/FC are staging. There's NO comparison, I'm done it plenty of times! TF/FC's at 90% yes I'm sure you'll hear an obvious difference. But all this talk about how loud the Nostagia cars are compared to the TF/FC's out there now is completely overblown! (pun)

I enjoy watching the Nostagia FC's run, they look sharp as hell! But they aren't as loud as they're advertized.

If you want to know about the difference between 85% and 90% read the interview with Mr. Conrad 'Connie' Kalitta on DRO it’s very good. Lot’s of information there.

Dan

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back