This is what a Nostalgia Funny Car SHOULD look like (1 Viewer)

1) Smack talk? YOU, not ME....
2) A team I USED to have respect for
3) Everyone got their panties wadded up
4) Maybe some ACTUAL racers will respond
5) Here in La-La Land
6) I asked a simple question and people thought I raped moms and kicked dogs (at least it wasn't the other way around)
7) They have egos bigger than the moon
8) NFC'ers think the world revolves around them
9) This is boring the hell out of me

All of these positive comments in one post. At least something nice was said about Virgil Hartman.

I rest my case. Good night.

Mr. Grant I want to say thanks also. I was a crew guy on one of the originial Wonder Wagon/Stardust the one Russell Long drove. Could you please next year make some of those 13 events on the East Coast And If they were already on the East Coast could you publisize them more so I can find out about them and go.

We were in Maple Grove this year, as close to the "East Coast" as we got this year. Last year we raced in Maple Grove and Epping. I will post my schedule for 2011 when it is complete.

We have a great time racing the Stardust, and look forward to 2011.

Thanks!

Justin

I have run the Stardust and the Wonder Wagon at the US Nationals twice and several other national events. We have had great fan support and a great time, but as Mikey has stated, doing this for free is a tough pill to get to go down...

Thank you, Sir! "I have run" is correct use of the English language. That is rarely seen, and all the more appreciated when seen. I cringe every time I hear "have ran." Yikes!
You are correct, too, for noting that racing for free is tough. In most entertainment fields, the performers are paid to perform. In drag racing, we have come to expect the racers to pay for everything. That approach will not work in the long run. We will lose more racing venues and many will wonder why.
Virgil Hartman understands how to maintain the performance, the fun, and the show without killing the wallets of the competitors. I would add that tuning a supercharged car to run an index is a competitive art in itself.
All of us, especially the track operators, need to publicize the shows better. We all know the successful track operators and they have shown the way.
Publicize the show, pay the guys who put on the show, and give the fans something that will have them cheering and telling others about our great sport.
Cheers,
Ed
Rocky Mountain Superchargers

Darr i ask these question in an effort to bring light to this conversation (debate).

How many nitro burning funny cars were at Biose's Heritage race earlier this year? And with the March Meet and CHRR aside was this the third largest gathering this year?

I don't doubt that this class (NFC or AA/FC) will continue to grow. It may even grow in different directions and that is where some of the different opinions here lay. The difference is is what some want it to be, and what it really is.

Ed, I have a question for you too, and please don't take this a the wrong way? As a track operator, who do you see as your customers by ranking? Racers or the spectators.

Last edited:
The Rockabilly Rod Reunion at Las Vegas at the End of May had 25 cars try to qualify for the 8 car field.

one thing lost and it is mostly by Osten-Van :)D) is maybe just maybe all the guys that have these cars or are building them as we speak are doing it, not for the money but because they think it is a *****in class, cause it is. :) I would have to say that in three years there will be close to 150 of them and most of the teams will find three-five races a year that they get paid to compete at and maybe one or two that are open shows. It will mean a half dozen events probably, more than enough for most of the part time weekend warriors for the year. Yes there are a decent number that race for pay (Match race) but most are like any other racers that race. Because they like it.

Don't read anymore into this fad than what it is. A hobby for most, and if they know anything about drag racing they should know that the only way to make a million in drag racing is too start with two million.
They picked a class that burns the magic fuel, is realitively loud, fast and makes flames. What more could you ask.

Dean

Is there demand for the cars? Absolutely! I start receiving calls for bookings every year in November. Since I have a day job, family, and yard, I have to keep my schedule in check. I book the Stardust on average 13 events per year, and I decline on average 5-8 events per year because of conflicts in schedule, crew availability, etc.

Sure, the shows I am asked to attend are not 32 car shows, but they are filled with fans! DRO has a series of “races” in which you qualify or go home. They have always managed to attract a full field of qualified cars, and let us not forget that we have had issues with our national economy, and fans and racers alike, are hard pressed to rub two nickels together. This weak economy has led to some racers reevaluating the distance they travel and the money they spend. I would venture to say that a vast majority of the NFC owners are self-employed, and this weak economy plays a role in racing decisions.

I don’t know of anyone in the NFC or AA/FC movement that is in this to make money. We all know the costs associated with running a car, and it far exceeds the reward provided by the track or event. A vast majority of us do this for fun and ego, and not the money. I can tell you from an owner’s point of view, the money “won” or “earned” is only enough to see you to the next event. The goal is, and always will be, for the car to pay for a vast majority of its way in life.

As long as the tracks keep the 2, 4, 8, 16 or 32 cars shows alive, there will be plenty of opportunities for the many NFC’s out there. In 2010, we had a few races where every car in the Midwest was booked and cars from the left cost were needed.

So, again, I say the demand is there. Will it continue to support the many new cars that come out each year? No, at some point there will be a decline in the number of available cars, but this is natural. Some people will realize this is not for them and they will move on. Does it mean the class is dying or peaked? In my opinion, no, it is the natural order of things. I can tell you, this is a lot harder than it looks, and once you get into it and realize the costs and effort to maintain one of these cars, you start to question your sanity.

The class has many challenges to face in the coming years, and to be honest, the class needs a focus and someone to direct it. Is this possible? I hope so, I hope there is someone out there that is capable and willing to lead the group, and more importantly, someone the group will support. The challenges facing the class are great but not insurmountable. By having a cohesive group we can accomplish more, and keep this class viable for many, many years.

Flame away.

Justin

Great post Justin. When the subject of money comes up, I always ask myself, do people really think they can race ANYTHING and expect to turn a profit? I think that if once you've invested in the infrastructure (car, trailer, tools, etc.) a reasonable goal would be to, as you stated, have the car pay it's way to the next race. I hope that the NFC deal stays healthy for years to come. I think that while it started out as a tribute to the famous cars of a past era, it seems to have evolved into simply a more affordable way to run a fuel FC, with more scheduling flexibility. I posted years ago, after seeing how out of hand the alky classes had gotten cost-wise, that maybe the TAD and TAFC classes should be replaced with "junior" TF and FCs, with restrictions such as smaller blowers, pumps, etc. The idea being they would be true stepping stone classes to the big show, and would add even more nitro cars to events. Judging from the number of alky guys jumping into nostalgia fuel cars, it may be happening in a roundabout way. Ok, sorry to add to the derailment of this thread's original topic...

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back