The John Force hate - I just don't get it. :/ (2 Viewers)

For crying out loud Larry Minor used to block and dive for Gary Beck in the 80's and even admitted to it on broadcasts he would say that he had to look out for his main guy.

That's the key: admit it. Don't treat the fans like they're idiots. We know what is going on.

I don't really know where I stand on the whole like/dislike JFR issue, but I'll put it this way: I dislike listening to Force (and Hight) so much I actually mute the volume on my TV when they speak. I can read the stickers plastered on the car, I don't need to have them read out loud to me everytime one of the media runs to shove a microphone in his face as if he were gonna shout out next weeks winning lottery numbers. They may well be (my opinion) the two least interesting people in drag racing. Over the years, I've just been so jaded by watching John do and say stupid stuff on TV that I've reached my limit. I remember watching his dumb ass use a chainsaw on HSN to cut up a perfectly good funny car body, just to sell autographed chunks of it. Circus performer at his best. It's one thing to sign a piece of a blown-up body or part at the track for some lucky fan, but to cut one up just for the hype value, well I don't get it. Plus, if I never hear "My sponsors pay me to win championships" or "I gotta business to run" come out of his mouth one more time, I'll puke on the spot. There's no way not to admire his accomplishments as a racer/team owner and his contributions to the sport are huge. He gets stuff done, period. But I just can't get behind guys who try to fix races for any reason, act like a jackass repeatedly and forget the guys who got them there in the first place. I may not get to see my true heroes like Jim Dunn's team win often, but when I do, it's 100 times more special to me than any 15 Championships won by a Barnum and Bailey refugee...

I agree that the word “hate” is too strong and as far as I’m concern does not apply.

I do feel that he seems to go way out of his way to be likable by everyone; almost to the point where he sometimes seems disingenuous. I mean he’s got to be the friendliest person I know, and that strikes me odd.

And yes, one of the reasons I don’t watch the racing on ESPN anymore is the Force Racing Team is way over played.

But I just can't get behind guys who try to fix races for any reason, act like a jackass repeatedly and forget the guys who got them there in the first place.

Are you kidding me?!

Who brought Gary Densham in and gave him a ride that won him a US Nationals? Gary was instrumental in John coming up as a driver and Force rewarded him in a way that NOBODY was willing to do. Was Gary gonna get that US Nationals win without John's help? I highly doubt it would ever happen.

Get your facts straight. You sound dumb when you don't.

I wonder how much of the Force style sponsor naming is in their contract. It could very well be in their sponsor agreements that they have to mention the names all the time. We don't know whats in the contracts or how the sponsors expect to be advertised. Same with this whole take a dive business we don't know what the sponsor requirements are in the contract.

I know alot of people treat John Force as this rich millionare and I don't doubt in the least that he has alot of money but is John Force the man made of money or is John Force the business made of money there is a difference.

I remember something John Force said during the indy dive debacle he said to the cameras that he was tired of being told what to say.

Can you imagine the pr people the marketing people the sponsor reps all these people that have all these expectations of John Force.

Imagine the sponsor pressure any one of those could take their money away in an instint if they don't get what they want or arent happy.

To add to that, John Force is a human being that has been turned into a brand. Can you imagine what thats like.

Why would any motor racing fan hate John Force? Hate is a very strong word - and it certainly doesn't describe how I personally feel about him and his organization, that's for DAMN SURE.

First off, as most know I am a huge JFR fan. With that being said, do I think he threw the race to Hight in Indy a few years ago? Ofcourse I do. And I have no problem with it. Its been happening for years, and not just Force. He let his car get in the countdown, exactly what his sponsors want. If you dont like it, then beat them so they dont get to race each other. Do I like it? No. But I understand it. Racing is business. Plain and simple. And if any of yall believe that if 2 DSR cars line up at Pomona with one of them having the chance to win the championship over a Force car with a win that that team wouldnt win, well I have some swamp land to sell you in Arizona.

John came from nothing, works hard every day to make sure he never gets back there, and never forgot where he came from. He's treats the fans better than anyone I have ever saw. He gets it. Hands down. He takes care of his sponsors better than anyone, and he doesnt have to try and steal sponsors from other teams like some of the other teams.

And as far as the coverage goes, ofcourse I would love to see more about the little guy or another team but guess what. Force is the NHRA. He does more marketing and promotion for the sport than NHRA does. He doesnt pay NHRA or ESPN, they just know he is the main attraction. Hands down. Especially now with kids driving. THat aint his fault that he worked hard and got to the top.

Perhaps it is the fact that the sponsors know JFR will mention them at every opportunity, go out of their way to interact with fans, go above and beyond at sponsor signing events, promote them at every turn, is the reason potential sponsors line up to sign up with the team. Do you think Traxxas was not aware of that. I have never in 40 years of being a drag racing fan, seen someone that wanted a picture or autograph leave dissappointed by Force when it was at all possible to accomadate them. Became a fan in late 70's when he invited me into his pit at Beeline for a beer(s) and bench racing.

Here's a few reasons off the top of my head that I no longer really care for him:

1) The ESPN/JFR show. It's old. It's been old for several years.
2) The diving BS
3) The BS with test sessions during the nitro "shortage" a few years back
4) Running, according to the NHRA rulebook and SFI spec. at the time, illegal frames with hardened tubing at the time of Eric's death, Hight's broken frame, and John's crash. Nobody, including Arnie Kuhns from SFI, to this date, has answered how those frames passed inspection when they didn't meet the SFI spec. Bill Miller wanted that answer, he never got one.
5) the fit-throwing incident mentioned earlier when he left the tree before it was activated
6) The interview mentioned earlier.

Last edited:
Are you kidding me?!

Who brought Gary Densham in and gave him a ride that won him a US Nationals? Gary was instrumental in John coming up as a driver and Force rewarded him in a way that NOBODY was willing to do. Was Gary gonna get that US Nationals win without John's help? I highly doubt it would ever happen.

Get your facts straight. You sound dumb when you don't.
Jeez, sorry to step in the middle of your JFR Love-fest with my lowly opinion. Here's let me get my "John Force's BFF" T-shirt to gain your acceptance, happy now?
I was referring to Austin Coil, without whom JFR would not exist today. Maybe you should get your facts straight before calling someone else dumb...

If anyone needs to slow down haha its Robert Hight, great guy, great racer and everything but man when he talks he talks as if he is going a million miles an his eyes look like they are going to pop out of his head. Nothing bad at all to say about him as a person but man I thought I was a fast talker.

Jeez, sorry to step in the middle of your JFR Love-fest with my lowly opinion. Here's let me get my "John Force's BFF" T-shirt to gain your acceptance, happy now?
I was referring to Austin Coil, without whom JFR would not exist today. Maybe you should get your facts straight before calling someone else dumb...

If you think Austin's relationship with John only benefitted Force, then you're very wrong.

And if Austin didn't want to take a pay cut like the rest of the team, that's not John forgetting where he came from.

Lastly, I didn't call you dumb. Sounding dumb, on the other hand, is another matter.

Let's call this one a draw attributed to two different views. BTW, I see you're also a Brad Personett fan, so at least we have that in common!

Let's call this one a draw attributed to two different views. BTW, I see you're also a Brad Personett fan, so at least we have that in common!

I can do that.

Yeah, Brad is a cool dude. Had a good talk with one of the crew guys at Indy in 2010. He certainly didn't have the success we expected in 2011. We'll see about 2012. Not sure if he's racing this year or not.

Sam. Let's just say your a NYGiants fan. By simple defintion after first pulling for the Giants on Sunday, you then may root against the Eagles, Redskins, and Cowboys. Beating them, coupled with their loses helps helps the Giants in the NFC East. Funny Car is no different. I think your a huge JFR fan and you just don't see why other don't like him. Simple. Their are some Redskins, Cowboys, and Eagles fans in here and right now the NYGiants are the Super Bowl Champs. There's the analogy. Beside that, this thread is why Funny Car is great. Wish we had one per class!

Well to be honest I don't think anyone but the guy who cuts the checks has a tenable opinion regarding which of the teams drivers will win.
Owners like John, Don, Larry, Paul, Forrest have spent the money to put themselves in a position to make important decisions regarding the best interest of the team and sponsors.
But the lame ESPN Force Family Fan Club and Admiration Society Broadcast could gag a maggot, it is an unviewable, unprofessional waste of air time.

Oh be quiet Sam. Wah, wah!!! Do you want some tissues? Guess what? I don't get your Whit Bazemore hate.... I could list more people I've caught you hating on, if you'd like? Oh, but when someone hates on your precious John Force, you have to vent and get all emotional. You're just a hypocrite.

Last edited:
I was a big Force fan back before he could win anything. The crazy wild, hyped up interviews were fun and seemed genuine then. Seeing the little guy make his way to the top was a great journey.

Now, I don't like or not like him. I do root for other drivers more.

I have grown tired of the constant TV time, his sometimes Gary Busey-esque interviews and what not.

Some will adore him simply because he is the best, just like the Yankees, Lakers or Red Wings. Others will bash him for the exact same reason.

As far as the Indy dive, there is really no doubting it. The difference between him and what Connie or Minor have said is that they don't treat us like idiots or get all indignant when the obvious is asked.

As a fan and a racer I hate dives. If I were a sponsor or team owner I can fully understand them. I guess it just depends on which side of the track you sit on.

Wasn't there a no dive rule when Force and Height ran and still is where NHRA looks at your set up if they think there was a dive? When Minor and Connie said those things I don't think the rule was in and maybe that is why the rule came about or maybe more multi teams brought it.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back