The John Force hate - I just don't get it. :/ (2 Viewers)

For crying out loud Larry Minor used to block and dive for Gary Beck in the 80's and even admitted to it on broadcasts he would say that he had to look out for his main guy.

Force lost me when he cheated at Indy giving R hight a free pass into teh top 10 countdown.

Blabity blabity bla bla bla. :rolleyes:

If it was any other car in the right lane that smoked the tires that round, nobody would be saying anything. Every time force smokes 'em against a teammate people accuse of cheating. It's getting old already.

Don't hate the guy but the whole Indy deal did it for me as a fan and as far as the ESPN deal that's their fault not Force's.

If it was any other car in the right lane that smoked the tires that round, nobody would be saying anything. Every time force smokes 'em against a teammate people accuse of cheating. It's getting old already.

You asked a question and people are giving you an answer! If you don't want to hear why people don't like him, don't ask! Put down your JFR kool-aid and watch that race against Hight again and tell me he didn't throw the race. Dead late and drove the car directly towards the wall. A person with as much seat time as John doesn't drive dead right at the hit!

Thats a good point, John Force just because he is John Force will have that held against him whenever he loses to a teammate, may not be fair but it will happen.

I think the reason Force gets alot of stick while DSR doesn't is Force is out there running against his team. Where as Schumacher not being a driver he can't be accused of taking a dive.

You asked a question and people are giving you an answer! If you don't want to hear why people don't like him, don't ask! Put down your JFR kool-aid and watch that race against Hight again and tell me he didn't throw the race. Dead late and drove the car directly towards the wall. A person with as much seat time as John doesn't drive dead right at the hit!

Okay, let's say he did throw the race. At that point he knew that were was no chance of him advancing any further in the points based on how his year was going (2009 was pretty crappy for John). On the other hand, Robert Hight had just beaten Cruz and now has a chance to get into the top 10 and make a run for the championship. Jimmy Prock at any time could turn that car into a monster. What would you do?

Besides being entertainment for us in the stands this is a business too. Remember when Lucas took out Melanie in 2007 ending her chances? Personally I thought it was very dumb on his part to not let her win. Would have had a very good car in the countdown mix that year....

Where's all the hatred against Connie Kalitta? He's said multiple times that he'll make his cars dive, if need be. And I don't wanna hear about how this is 'the way to do it' when if John said the same thing, he'd be destroyed for openly cheating.

Also, for all of you that hate the idea of diving, go into a meeting with Ford, Castrol, and AAA, all of whom pay you millions of dollars, and tell them why you didn't give their car an opportunity to get into the countdown and win the championship.

I love how all the people who know exactly how it should work, don't have to answer to all the sponsors and people that make it possible for these teams to work.

Okay, let's say he did throw the race. At that point he knew that were was no chance of him advancing any further in the points based on how his year was going (2009 was pretty crappy for John). On the other hand, Robert Hight had just beaten Cruz and now has a chance to get into the top 10 and make a run for the championship. Jimmy Prock at any time could turn that car into a monster. What would you do?

Besides being entertainment for us in the stands this is a business too. Remember when Lucas took out Melanie in 2007 ending her chances? Personally I thought it was very dumb on his part to not let her win. Would have had a very good car in the countdown mix that year....

IMHO, Force would have been a total dumb a** to not have thrown the race. Like an earlier poster added, he should have owned up to it if he in fact did. And just for the record, I liked Force before and after said incident.

I don't really care if he throws a race or not, but to me (and probably alot of others including Mike Dunn at the time) that one was totally obvious. I don't blame him for throwing that one either - It was a weird situation that one, because there's a rule against throwing a race - so he couldn't admit it even if he wanted to. If he did throw the race, it might have made him look better to keep his mouth shut and plead the fifth,

**correct me if I'm wrong**

but I recall he swore up and down on ESPN that he didn't throw that race. I remember that caused a big uproar on here too and polarized alot of people.

That makes him either one of two things, a liar, or someone who is truly innocent. Only he and probably people very close to him know which one he is and I guess you have a right to form your own opinion based on what you observed about that race that day. Probably alot of people branded him a dishonest cheat (whether he deserved it or not) with that run.

I am one of those, though that really don't care one way or the other what he did that day, as it doesn't affect me in the least.That single incident is not the reason I don't root for him, though, but it might be why some purists dislike him.

Last edited:
Sam. First the term hate is a terrible word. Second, man what the heck are you bit**ing about. Its drag racing. It's not a damn love affair. You are a fan of the most successful Funny Car operation and driver ever. Enjoy being at the top. Ppl on the board arent the kind to show up on Sunday just to see a car do 300mph. They are diehard fans. Drag Racing for many is their favorite sport. In a nutshell, if Bob Tasca or Cruz Pedregon rose to the top of the class and starting kicking my drivers butt for any amount of time they would be disliked as well. If you want to pull for someone everyone likes then jump on the Densham bandwagon. Lets also mention many pull against Force because somewhere in the last 25 years his run of titles has come at the expense of our/their favorite driver or drivers. Would be nice if as many ppl pulled against JFR as pulled for on Sunday. Thats good drag racing!

My take is just a bit different. I don't ascribe the criticisms to any hatred of John. It appears to me that folks are weary of hearing the same song, different verse. Frankly, I think there'd be a lot more interest in John's persiflage if we hadn't all memorized the script.
This is a problem common to all sports. Ask a football player what his team needs to do to win and he will reply, "Execute." How many times have we heard, "We play them one game at a time?"
John has to be the head cheerleader for the empire he has built and, yes, he owes a lot to family members and sponsors as well as his tuning and safety brain trust. He can be forgiven if, in a moment of tension, he displays his political ignorance in an outburst. He's done very well for "an old truck driver" as he sometimes refers to himself. He's a real guy, mostly admirable, with a shortcoming or two. Sounds like the rest of us.
The broadcast crew could do him, and us, a big favor by featuring some of the other fine people who have contributed to this sport. I don't need to list them all. They are legion.
Ed

For those supporting John throwing races, what ever happened to earning round victories? There's another multi-car TF and FC program that has perfected how a team should make their teammates earn round wins. If John was to race this way we wouldn't be having this discussion.
Sam- Melanie didn't earn a playoff spot, if she would have outrun Morgan on that run you mentioned she would have EARNED a Countdown spot. I applaud Morgan for not giving Melanie anything.

Force lost me when he cheated at Indy giving R hight a free pass into teh top 10 countdown.

Your kidding right? You would do the same think if you owned 4 teams then and you have sponsors to answer too. It pissed ALOT of people off and Cruz and Tony had their right to be mad, but not to get in a fight about it.

Was it right? No. Was it wrong? No There is the low chance that they actually did race for it, nobody will know the truth. It was not right because if it was not raced for it should have been, but it is right because he broke no rules, he had MILLIONS at stake he did what was best for his BUSINESS and because he did that Hight when on to win the big checks. Last but not least, if you feel hight and prock should not have the credit for the championship, they are entitled. They would of won a title if it was not for the countdown. Technically, they got the title they lost.

Your kidding right? You would do the same think if you owned 4 teams then and you have sponsors to answer too. It pissed ALOT of people off and Cruz and Tony had their right to be mad, but not to get in a fight about it.

Was it right? No. Was it wrong? No There is the low chance that they actually did race for it, nobody will know the truth. It was not right because if it was not raced for it should have been, but it is right because he broke no rules, he had MILLIONS at stake he did what was best for his BUSINESS and because he did that Hight when on to win the big checks. Last but not least, if you feel hight and prock should not have the credit for the championship, they are entitled. They would of won a title if it was not for the countdown. Technically, they got the title they lost.
Don't blame it on the countdown, all these teams know the rules of the game at the beginning of the season.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back