The Heart of John Force!!! (1 Viewer)

Leebone

Nitro Member
I was at the Norwalk Night Under Fire and was at John Force's pit when he was signing autographs and carrying on with the crowd. I was thinking to myself "wow, what a ham" then he did something that sobered me up. He spotted a little boy in a wheel chair wearing a John Force hat and immediately went over to him. At that same time, his crew was calling him and he told the crowd he had to go to work, BUT, he would NOT leave until he signed that kid's hat. The amazing thing is, the kid never asked John to sign his hat, .... John just wanted to.

There's a reason John is so popular, besides all the championships. John sets a great example for our sport because I've seen most of the other drivers do similar things. I'm actually a Capps fan and I've seen Ron go out of his way to talk to his fans. I could go on and on about most of the drivers. That's the great thing about our sport. You have such accessability to the stars of the sport. John just opitomized that at Norwalk.

I was at the Norwalk Night Under Fire and was at John Force's pit when he was signing autographs and carrying on with the crowd. I was thinking to myself "wow, what a ham" then he did something that sobered me up. He spotted a little boy in a wheel chair wearing a John Force hat and immediately went over to him. At that same time, his crew was calling him and he told the crowd he had to go to work, BUT, he would NOT leave until he signed that kid's hat. The amazing thing is, the kid never asked John to sign his hat, .... John just wanted to.

There's a reason John is so popular, besides all the championships. John sets a great example for our sport because I've seen most of the other drivers do similar things. I'm actually a Capps fan and I've seen Ron go out of his way to talk to his fans. I could go on and on about most of the drivers. That's the great thing about our sport. You have such accessability to the stars of the sport. John just opitomized that at Norwalk.

This is why I love this man!!!! He TRULY loves his fans. I have seen him do similar things in Gainesville. Hell, I was standin' at his pit while he was signin' autographs and he must have signed my shirt 5 times. I have also seen him walkin' with the fans through the pits signin' away. They will be callin' him to his car and he just says walk with me and keeps on signin'!:eek: This is when he usually ends up with my pens!!!!:D

Back in '90-'91 when I was first starting to follow the sport regularly, I couldn't stand the man. He just seemed arrogant and completely full of himself. Then at the Pepsi Funny Car deal they used to do at the Texas Motorplex in conjunction with the divisional, I saw him do the same thing. A young man was in a wheel chair, heavily disabled, and John stopped everything to spend some time with this person. He took him around, introduced him to the crew, had them show him what they do, gave him some momentos, etc. It was crazy. My opinion of him changed dramatically that day.

Then at the Dallas race in '93, a buddy of mine and I were up there for Friday night qualifying. We decided to wait around a little while after qualifying to go to the car because it was a mad house. Well, we were just walking through the pro pits, there were very few stragglers roaming the pits. Out of the corner of my eye, I see Force walk up just as we are walking past his pit area. He said something to us that I couldn't hear, so we walk over to him and the next thing I know, we're hanging out for a little while just shooting the breeze. He offered us a beer, but I was driving, so my buddy had a couple with him. It was probably one of strangest, yet coolest experiences I've had. He definitely doesn't have a problem making you feel like you've known him all your life.

LOL, I thought you were going to say that ESPN2 is going to have him wear a holter monitor for the next telecast, so we can track how his heartrate flucuates throughout the weekend. :D He's a good man, doing good things.

LOL, I thought you were going to say that ESPN2 is going to have him wear a holter monitor for the next telecast, so we can track how his heartrate flucuates throughout the weekend. :D He's a good man, doing good things.

Pleaseee...Don't give them ideas! lol

We were doing a match race with Wilkerson , and others, in the early to mid '90's with our TA/FC in Union Grove, WI. Force and Bazemore were there too. Force had his rig about in the middle of the pits. There was a pay phone at the pit gate that he would ride his little scooter to all weekend. Our pit was about half way between to two, facing the pit road. One time he was pushin' his scooter back to his pit. We all laughed at him and asked if he didn't have enough nitro in the trailer for his toy. We had fun with that!!! We'll come the end of the night at the end of the weekend, we all gathered around eattin' ribs on the hood of our tow car. Here comes ol' Johnny boy eattin' our ribs with us!! Years later, I was telling a high school buddy of that night. At first I don't think he believed me, then he asked if I got an autograph from him. I said "HELL NO! I WAS EATTING WITH JOHN FORCE! WHY WOULD I NEED AN AUTOGRAPH AFTER THAT!?!" My friend still hates me for that!

I guess this is likely the upside of this sport never achieving significant economic success for many drivers. The fact that you can't rise very far above the floor makes you remember where you came from because it's not that far back! Our drivers aren't all perfect but most have many traits that we can easily identify with and respect. Mix that with some really wicked science and technology at the top handfull of levels and you have a cool sport that many of us can participate in . . . in a variety of manners.

I got a BRUT hat off Ron's head a few years ago. I didn't give him much choice. I took it at ran! It's the only RC hat I have that has his autograph on the inside. LOL :)

That's funny, Kelly!!! I ended up with the hat off his head when he won Gainesville in 2006. We were in winner's circle with them and we were doing pics with the team and when we were done he gave me his hat and I had him autograph it!!!!! Before the pics were taken he had me peal the sticker off for him and I still have that, too!!!! I never wear the hat, I put it in my display case with my Brut car!!!!!

A few years ago I was at the vegas track on a monday test session, John pulls up in the ford custom pickup with the mustang cobra drive train in it to make some passes for a ford commercial. John was having a hard time getting the thing to leave and make a good run, every time he came back around he was talking to the ford svo guy's trying to squeeze more out of the truck, most guy's would make there appearance and leave. The truck had some problems w/ignition, but at the time nobody knew. after about 5 or 6 passes one of the svo guy's took over, John walked over and said he been fired like he was not able to get the job done, I was impressed at how much effort he put into something when he didn't have to, That kind of dedication is how you get to were he is at.

We were doing a match race with Wilkerson , and others, in the early to mid '90's with our TA/FC in Union Grove, WI. Force and Bazemore were there too. Force had his rig about in the middle of the pits. There was a pay phone at the pit gate that he would ride his little scooter to all weekend.
I was there! I have a signed piston from John. Here is a picture from that week-end, signed ticket and the piston. Yes, I too made the walk to the phone booth just to talk with him. What an awesome day!
GLD61795.jpg

Another Awesome Day at BIR in 97 when John, Austin and Tony Pedergon signed by Castol Unifrom shirt.
97Signed.jpg
[/IMG]

I have to agree!!! John, has been a TRUE Champion and ALWAYS treated me like gold. ALWAYS A FAN!
WorldofWheelsJanuary2006010.jpg

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back