The Danica vs Ashley comparison isn't.... (1 Viewer)

I heartily agree. I'll add that Ashley is a composed, unselfish young lady. Danica is none of those things. Her bad girl persona may have enhanced her media exposure (yes, I know that's a double entendre) but it leaves me cold. Ashley will be driving competitively when Danica joins Tonya Harding on a long list of forgettable sports figures.
Cheers,
Ed
Rocky Mountain Superchargers

Good thing Danica has the SI swimsuit issue and Go Daddy commericals going for her. Based not race results she'd be done driving (competitive cars at least) long ago. Unfortuantly, it's not about driving talent anymore. Just ask Spencer among several others.

Bottom Line - Ashley's a sweetheart and a good racer, Danica not so much.

Like everyone said its sad but Nascar is the 800lb Gorilla. But, and its a big BUT, the NHRA could do it as well, NASCAR shows their races live with crashes wrecks major rain delays, why cant or it is why doesnt the NHRA do it, dont tell me its money because that is BS. And one thing that pisses me off is how does a racer sell a marketing program to a potential company when he tells them we are tape delayed but could be bumped for little league baseball. Its pure BS and if the NHRA does not do something about soon drag racing is going to keep dropping to the bottom. Even road racing, indy and some nascar minor league divisions have live racing.

Back to the topic, i think Ashley and Danica should have a bikini contest for charity!!! They are both hot and can wheel some fast cars.

Since you brang up live tv there is a great Jon Asher article from the early 90's that has some great points about why live tv may or may not work for drag racing. I don't have a link to it though sorry.

Devils advocate here guys. The passion and dedication you guys show for drag racing is commendable and that is why this sport has a non wavering fan based. It is a sport that when you are in it you are in it for life. But the comparisons you are giving to Danica are unfair to both parties. Danica is where she is the same way Ashley is where she is, they are both beautiful and they both are pretty successful drivers. Comparing driving abilities is hog wash as the two platforms are total opposites.
I am a drag racing fan through and through, but if the two roles were reversed and Danica was in a fuel flopper and Ashley was in an Indy car or stock car, Ashley rise to the top would take longer than Danica's. Driving at 200mph with cars all around you is a lot different than trying to get your car in a straight line

Danica (5th place in 2009) has received preferential treatment compared to the other sex yes, but she is way more marketable than say Ryan Briscoe (3rd in standings last year) Justin Wilson , Dan Wheldon , Hideki Mutoh and Graham Rahal. Even more so that any of the bigger name top ten drivers. She has earned her place she did well in the arca race, and she knows her role. She does not shy away for the sex sells aspect. She has a temper and probably thinks she is better than she really is but that is part of her shtick.
Ashley is a drag racing hierarchy for one reason, her father. Yes she has shown she has what is takes and I think she has the potential to be one of the best for the next decade or more. I like her admire her and commend her for how she has responded to critics and other likely jealous drivers.
Her resume is not what Danica's is yet.
Danica's success in circle racing and her exposure is no different than Jeff Gordon's or Jimmy Johnson's success and exposure compared to John Force’s. Not in the same league never going to be in the same league.

The only thing that we and the NHRA should be doing to expose our stars to more people is to actually promote or stars and what they can offer, instead of just looking for the next sponsor. If NHRA marketed the stars (and the female ones are the best place to start, cause I do not know a female driver in any of the four professional classes that is not hot, they are all smokin) to the masses, then maybe the sponsors would come.
Don't be bitter cause Danica is popular, or more in the media. She actually has earned much of her exposure (for good and not so good reasons).

To defend Ashley though, remember who was voted the hottest female in sport two years ago.
That in itself shows the dedication to drag racing, as I would bet that 90% of those who voted for her were DR fanns first and formost.
(based on all the girls shown I think is is one of the most beautiful regardless of the sport she is in though).
Dean

Last edited:
I heartily agree. I'll add that Ashley is a composed, unselfish young lady. Danica is none of those things. Her bad girl persona may have enhanced her media exposure (yes, I know that's a double entendre) but it leaves me cold. Ashley will be driving competitively when Danica joins Tonya Harding on a long list of forgettable sports figures.
Cheers,
Ed
Rocky Mountain Superchargers

I think comparing Danica to Tonya Harding is a VERY big stretch. Danica may be snotty/spoiled and not always say or do the right things for/by her fans ... but she is not going around "Gilloolying" her competitors, getting arrested several times or appearing on celebrity boxing.

Danica has reached the pinnacle without the talent befitting the rides she has gotten. You could also argue that Ashley got her ride due to her last name being Force. BUT, the difference is, Ashley has risen to the challenge and improved every season and won some races. Danica has never proven herself anything beyond a competent pretty face.

As far as Danica's career goes, there is LESS talent in IndyCars now than there EVER has been. The drivers there are a bunch of ride-buying never weres and never gonna bes with very few exceptions. And she can't beat them. The flip side is you could argue there is MORE talent now in NASCAR than there ever has been, and for the most part, rides in NASCAR are earned via a meritocracy, they are not bought or given. She has NO CHANCE to beat them. Until that beauty fades and the sponsors fall out of love with her, we are stuck with her and the circus that follows her.

Devils advocate here guys. The passion and dedication you guys show for drag racing is commendable and that is why this sport has a non wavering fan based. It is a sport that when you are in it you are in it for life. But the comparisons you are giving to Danica are unfair to both parties. Danica is where she is the same way Ashley is where she is, they are both beautiful and they both are pretty successful drivers. Comparing driving abilities is hog wash as the two platforms are total opposites.
I am a drag racing fan through and through, but if the two roles were reversed and Danica was in a fuel flopper and Ashley was in an Indy car or stock car, Ashley rise to the top would take longer than Danica's. Driving at 200mph with cars all around you is a lot different than trying to get your car in a straight line

Danica (5th place in 2009) has received preferential treatment compared to the other sex yes, but she is way more marketable than say Ryan Briscoe (3rd in standings last year) Justin Wilson , Dan Wheldon , Hideki Mutoh and Graham Rahal. Even more so that any of the bigger name top ten drivers. She has earned her place she did well in the arca race, and she knows her role. She does not shy away for the sex sells aspect. She has a temper and probably thinks she is better than she really is but that is part of her shtick.
Ashley is a drag racing hierarchy for one reason, her father. Yes she has shown she has what is takes and I think she has the potential to be one of the best for the next decade or more. I like her admire her and commend her for how she has responded to critics and other likely jealous drivers.
Her resume is not what Danica's is yet.
Danica's success in circle racing and her exposure is no different than Jeff Gordon's or Jimmy Johnson's success and exposure compared to John Force’s. Not in the same league never going to be in the same league.

The only thing that we and the NHRA should be doing to expose our stars to more people is to actually promote or stars and what they can offer, instead of just looking for the next sponsor. If NHRA marketed the stars (and the female ones are the best place to start, cause I do not know a female driver in any of the four professional classes that is not hot, they are all smokin) to the masses, then maybe the sponsors would come.
Don't be bitter cause Danica is popular, or more in the media. She actually has earned much of her exposure (for good and not so good reasons).

To defend Ashley though, remember who was voted the hottest female in sport two years ago.
That in itself shows the dedication to drag racing, as I would bet that 90% of those who voted for her were DR fanns first and formost.
(based on all the girls shown I think is is one of the most beautiful regardless of the sport she is in though).
Dean

Dean, good post but how do you know Ashley couldn't drive in Nascar??? Not saying she could or couldn't. Just don't understand your reasoning, Danica had what 2 years of driving Open wheeled cars in Europe before getting her Indy ride! And less we forget at her First Indy 500 how she took out the leader coming off Pitrow! The media choose to focus on the fact rather than the fact she was the first female to lead an Indy car race.

AS for the female drivers in NHRA...as far back as I can remember everyone said female drivers are more marketable than Men. That sure hasn't been the case for a lot of female drivers looking for rides these days. Is it because there are too many of them competing for sponsors? I have no idea.

I understand the whole marketing aspect but women drivers are nothing new and who cares how they look. How good they are in the car and on the track now that should be what matters.

First of all, another frustrated Mets fan here.

Second of all, response to this quote, "Danica has reached the pinnacle without the talent befitting the rides she has gotten."

The best car Danica had was when she was a rookie with the Honda horsepower advantage. The Andretti/Green cars haven't been able to stay with Penske and Ganassi for a couple of years now, since they all went to Honda power. She finished fifth in points last year, which was pretty much "first in class" behind the two Penske drivers and two Ganassi drivers. The INDY 500 is what made her. Goes to show you how big that race can still be at times.

Third of all, the only place I ever see Ashley and Danica compared is here.

By the way, anybody here see her save her ARCA car after she got bumped into the grass? That was impressive even if it was lucky. I'm pretty sure she couldn't care less about the naysayers and I'm sure NASCAR is in her corner after the ratings for the ARCA race. It should be interesting to see the ratings for the N'wide race Saturday. Someone mentioned not watching the series because of her, I pretty much stopped watching due to the Carl and Kyle show. NASCAR should not allow full time Cup drivers to win N'wide titles but that's a discussion for another forum.

Songas.. there were bets on Milka and when she would wreck in the ARCA race.. couple people even took pit road just pulling out to start.....lol....

Danica is a high profile personality thats hard to deny with all her tv time for GoDaddy... can't deny that...all the teenaged mentality and aged men men in the world that have lusted after her proved that watching the ARCA race.. and i would bet a few new people that saw here in the SUper Bowl ads tuned in as well... and i would bet the ywill all tune in for the Nationwide event as well... even more since ESPN2 is in more outlets than SPEED is still....

If the NHRA was smart they would have a talk with ESPN about talking to Kurt Bush about his drag racing deal and what he wants to do.. start milking the exposure asap.... we won't get the same amount of pop or jump in viewers but it can't hurt....

And i know for a fact if Danica can't drive a bit.. you will know it soon.. the Eurys will not hold that back.. specialy Pops.... He ripped Jr a new one a couple times in the media for on track performance and run-ins... but from what i have heard so far they are pretty impressed with hows she is doing and what she has done before getting there....

As far as Ashley goes.. i know some will disagree on this..but .. if she had not jumped into the top caliber of ride she has now with her FATHERS stuff... but someone elses and done just as well, she might have gotten more press and all around exposure...

Billy

Dean, good post but how do you know Ashley couldn't drive in Nascar??? Not saying she could or couldn't. Just don't understand your reasoning, Danica had what 2 years of driving Open wheeled cars in Europe before getting her Indy ride! And less we forget at her First Indy 500 how she took out the leader coming off Pitrow! The media choose to focus on the fact rather than the fact she was the first female to lead an Indy car race.

AS for the female drivers in NHRA...as far back as I can remember everyone said female drivers are more marketable than Men. That sure hasn't been the case for a lot of female drivers looking for rides these days. Is it because there are too many of them competing for sponsors? I have no idea.

Did not say she couldn't drive in Nascar or that is not what I meant. What I meant was driving a race car when bumping and side by side happens at 200 + within inches is a lot different than a straight 1000 feet.
Any everyone here slammed Ashley pretty hard for her incdent into the wall as well. Those things happend when you lack experience. As far as women getting rides right now. I will tell you this:
If a woman (who happens to be good looking and another driver who has a dangler walks up to a team and both oofered the same money to drive their car, the woman would likely get the job. I know I would hire them first (simply a marketing advantage)
Two drivers (opposite sex) without money looking for the same ride, My guess is it would also go to the female (providing they are proven to a certain degree).
The reason there are a few on the side line right now, is one thing. The guys who have gotten the seat have had backing to bring to the table. Simply economics. And I could name at least six guys who are driving right now because they brought a sponsor or cash to the table.
In Ashleys defence, I will say this, she stepped into likely the toughest seat in the class. The scrutiny and comments were rampant simply because it is one of the top seats in the sport, and she has handled everything she has had thrown at her, with grace and humility.
She is THE most marketable driver in the nhra right now.
Dean

Sorry to jump in this one but as far exposure goes Ashley has no chance 1.nascar money 2.Dale jr. money 3. godaddy money 4. fox, speed and espn
poor Ashley only has JFR

I am just thankful all of the competitors in our sport are here hell they could spend half on the budget of a pro team and finish 43rd Sun. and make the year end fuel champ bonus.

Back to the topic, i think Ashley and Danica should have a bikini contest for charity!!! They are both hot and can wheel some fast cars.

Therein lies some of the problem too. Are they taken seriously as race car drivers or just because of the "pretty" face? Comparing Danica to Ashley or vise-versa is comparing apples to grapefruits. Not even close. If they were both racing in the same series, then maybe.

I just get so :mad:. I give both (ALL) ladies mad props for getting in a car, period. I just get insulted that DP feels the need to "strip" to get attention. AFH certainly leads the dignity class.

Ok, back to your :eek:ogling..guys...

You guys who say Danica can't drive are correct. :rolleyes:

BTW, just where did her team mates finish last year? Danica was 5th.
To finish first, you must first finish.

Amazing how such a tiny little woman has such "big" men all wound up. And not even for the right reasons no less.

Ashley and Danica both drive because they are good at it. If either was as bad as some make them (Danica) out to be, no amount of T&A would keep them where they are. Example: Milk-n-donuts as she is called. Does she have a full time ride this year doing anything? Her implants are not helping. Maybe she needs to go bigger.

Nutcheck time for some.....

Ok, back to your :eek:ogling..guys...

Sounds like you have a problem with the root cause here.

I am all for Danica/AFH/Milka doing whatever they feel comfortable doing to promote their sports.

It will hands down bring in more guys (thinking Kournikova here) that would probably not bother watching the show if only to see the eye candy.

It is and will always be the double-edge sword of marketing . . . any press is good (usually) press.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want the NHRA to be bimboland but to not have any of the ladies have a few press-released pictures of them in nice clothes, makeup, away from the track, etc would be a waste of potential marketing.

I understand the marketing aspect of a good looking girl but personally I don't give a crap whether they are good looking bad looking male female black white blue or purple. I will pay attention to them if they are winning. I like to watch alot of the old races on youtube that were from the days before I was born and look back at the times when Shirley Muldowney was winning alot thats why she got the attention she was winning. thats just my viewpoint as a fan. Infact as a fan I would hate to think that a person got their ride because of their looks or race. I would hope they got it because they were good.

Last edited:
When Ashley Force got her FC license, I thought for sure the exposure she would receive from the press would take this sport to the next level! After 2 years in the class when you see all the press Danica Patrick gets, I think NOT! Other than an article or two Drag racing as a whole remains a 2nd class Motorsport as far as the media is concerned!

That’s because Drag Racing is still considered a grease monkey form of motorsports and Indy is considered a prestigious form of motorsports, it’s been that way from the beginning, and is to this day.
Ashley drives for a total of about 17 seconds on a good day while Danica drives 3 + hours much more exposure don't you think.
The way Whit put it in his interview at CompetitionPlus says it best NHRA is making it easier to drive these cars and it will get to the point they are no longer drivers anymore just pilots keeping in the groove and I agree with him.

In other motorsports like IRL and formula 1 they stay true to the tradition of that sport. They don't reduce the length of the track or the distance because someone dies they realize what inherent danger of the sports means. Hell Formula 1 races in the rain in Europe.
Do you think they would do that here?
Of coarse I'm not refering to Drag Racing in the rain! :p

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back