IRL Claims Patrick "The First Female To Win A Major Auto Racing Event." (1 Viewer)

Bob Margolis has a clue, and it is right on target...

Putting Patrick's victory in perspective - IRL - Yahoo! Sports

Not to take anything away from Danica's win, but doesn't it seem odd that she wouldn't be competing in the recently reunited organizations race in Long Beach, as opposed to what would be considered the "B Main" race in Japan???
EDIT: I guess the Japanese race was considered the bigger of this weekend's open-wheel races. My bad..

I hope the press does what it does best, and digs up ways to show that this wasn't the greatest moment in all of sport. Many have come before her, and many will come after- and I would bet the rent that those wins will come in Drag Racing over other forms of motorsports...

Last edited:
I am writing this from Long Beach where I was working this weekend at the Toyota Grand Prix. The Danica tidal wave is just beginning, trust me. I will guarantee you that you'll see her on Today, Good Morning America, Oprah, and/or Larry King between now and the next race. She flew directly from Motegi to Long Beach Sunday so she could get some face time on the Champ Car telecast. The fact she is now in Los Angeles puts her right in the media beehive. But I will also tell you that once Ashley F. or Melanie T. get their first wins, they'll get some mainstream notice, although perhaps not to the degree Danica is getting.

It seems to me that the real reason for Danica's popularity is her willingness to strip down to her undies. Melanie and Ashley (and many other female racers) have too much respect for their sport to allow themselves to be pimped out.

But then we did have John Force on TV in his underwear that one time. Now that was funny.

Is that what the press release actually said?

Just wanted everyone to see what the Indy Car Racing's site said on the matter...
site.jpg

The NBC affiliate in Chicago reported it as "the first woman to win a major auto race on a closed course circuit". Also not exactly true but at least they tried. :)

Bob Margolis has a clue, and it is right on target...

Putting Patrick's victory in perspective - IRL - Yahoo! Sports

Not bad, seems to be a level-headed point of view. I particularly liked these lines:

To her credit, Patrick remains a model for young women everywhere. It may be a model of how persistence, a pretty face and the willingness to take the heat can pay off in the end.

Her skills and courage behind the wheel of an Indy car is not in question. It takes considerable amounts of both to enter Turn 1 at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway with your foot to the floor.

On another note, isn't this Joe Sherwood in a previous lifetime?? :D

Thanks for the pictures Steve Scott, they sure do bring back alot of great memories!

races0163.jpg

I sent this email to Indycar media relations which is linked to their web site:

With all due respect:

While Danica's win is historic for your organization it is a leap and discredit to other females before her who've won more prestigious events in major motorsports than yours, especially considering a "B" event in Japan, by saying Danica's win was the first for a female in major motorsports. As you know, Shirley Muldowney, in the worlds number 2 motorsport, NHRA Championship Drag Racing (NASCAR is number 1), has won many, many events including the US Nationals at Indy, and has won multiple world championships. She was behind the wheel before Danica was born.

As you know, since your organization ranks behind the NHRA, the organization Shirley competed in, I would suggest that you reexamine your definition of "major motorsports event."

And, I think you owe Shirley an apology.

Randy Goodwin

I sent this email to Indycar media relations which is linked to their web site:

With all due respect:

While Danica's win is historic for your organization it is a leap and discredit to other females before her who've won more prestigious events in major motorsports than yours, especially considering a "B" event in Japan, by saying Danica's win was the first for a female in major motorsports. As you know, Shirley Muldowney, in the worlds number 2 motorsport, NHRA Championship Drag Racing (NASCAR is number 1), has won many, many events including the US Nationals at Indy, and has won multiple world championships. She was behind the wheel before Danica was born.

As you know, since your organization ranks behind the NHRA, the organization Shirley competed in, I would suggest that you reexamine your definition of "major motorsports event."

And, I think you owe Shirley an apology.

Randy Goodwin

Randy, you made some good points. But exactly who said NHRA's #2 behind Nascar? The TV ratings aren't, I'd like to think that NHRA is indeed the #2 Motorsports market behind Nascar. But I'm not sure that's the case, the IRL's on ABC that's a lot more homes than E2!

Now there's a far reach... never thought I'd ever see Sisyphus mentioned on a drag racing board.

Careful Bill, if you appear to smart you'll be shunned... LMAO :D

Oh yeah, they used to mention that before NHRA mandated "minimum inflation standards" on slicks. Siisephusss would always be embarassing - especially when it happened after your burn-out.
:D

As far as that first article is concerned, mean spirited. Not only diminishes Danica but ANYBODY who wins a race 'cause of "strategy".

I think all racers benefit when there's good press. (although I'm prepared by more over-the-top where Danica's concerned).
PS: Hope they never run that "Go Daddy" ad again!

hey, what do you know!, i emailed the NY Times this morning and just
received an email back with a change made to the verbage of the
teaser/blurb on their sports webpage.
i'm sure i'm not the only one who may have emailed them.
anyways, here's the email sent back to me.

Thanks for reporting that. This is referring to the teaser/blurb on the Web site, right? Because I don't think they used quite that language in the actual article. I have changed the Web promo to reflect the article, saying that she was the first "woman to win an Indy car race."

Regards,
Mick Sussman

........progress!

How many fire trucks you think responded to the four alarm a** fire Shirley had when she read this Danica crap?!?!?!?:mad:

there was no "A" or "B" race . They both count equally for points. Yes most of the IRL drivers were in Japan. The champ car race had to be run the way it was because the IRL was contractually obligated to race in japan.

Randy, you made some good points. But exactly who said NHRA's #2 behind Nascar? The TV ratings aren't, I'd like to think that NHRA is indeed the #2 Motorsports market behind Nascar. But I'm not sure that's the case, the IRL's on ABC that's a lot more homes than E2!

there was some study done a few years ago, Nascar was far and away the winner. I think we came in second with 12 or 13% then those smaller motorsports were behind us

D

Ya ought ta live in "the South" and people don't understand why, if you like drag racing, you don't like circle go round round.

S/F

d'kid

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back