IRL Claims Patrick "The First Female To Win A Major Auto Racing Event." (1 Viewer)

Jon Asher

Nitro Member
Maters, it's time to fire up your computers and start bombarding your local newspapers and television stations with "corrections." After Danica Patrick won the Twin Ring Motegi race in Japan yesterday the IRL put out a press release containing the following lines:

MOTEGI, Japan, Sunday, April 20, 2008 – Since exploding into the consciousness of an international audience at the 2005 Indianapolis 500, Danica Patrick has faced questions of when she would win an IndyCar Series race.

She answered with a flurry of a finish at Twin Ring Motegi, becoming the first female to win a major auto racing event. Patrick, who turned 26 three weeks ago, won in her 50th IndyCar Series start.

The New York Times and other newspapers have already picked up and published this erroneous information, which is an insult not only to drag racing, but to the many exceptional women drivers who have helped make drag racing an exciting and competitive sport. The name Shirley Muldowney comes to mind here, along with literally dozens of others.

Do NOT let this simply go by without telling your local TV station and/or newspaper, if they ran this junk, that it's simply untrue and that they've fallen for the hype put out by the IRL. If those reporters had done their jobs as professionals they'd know this story is baloney.

Jon Asher

Not to take away from Danica Patrick's accomplishment, but I'd say that the US Nationals, which Shirley Muldowney won in 1982, is more a "major race" than the IRL Twin Ring Motegi race in Japan.

Plus, Shirley won her first CHAMPIONSHIP in '77. Not a major race, but a season long, points earning championship.

Regardless, kudos to Danica on her first win.

Typical uninformed mainstream media hysteria. Not surprising. Lyn St. James is a two-time winner of the 24 Hours of Daytona. I would call that race a "major auto racing event". Another example of media hyperbole: Michele Mouton is a former World Rally Championship driver who is described on Wikepedia as "arguably the most successful female in motor racing as a whole" and she never won a WRC championship--and I would wager many of you are reading her name for the first time.

I am writing this from Long Beach where I was working this weekend at the Toyota Grand Prix. The Danica tidal wave is just beginning, trust me. I will guarantee you that you'll see her on Today, Good Morning America, Oprah, and/or Larry King between now and the next race. She flew directly from Motegi to Long Beach Sunday so she could get some face time on the Champ Car telecast. The fact she is now in Los Angeles puts her right in the media beehive. But I will also tell you that once Ashley F. or Melanie T. get their first wins, they'll get some mainstream notice, although perhaps not to the degree Danica is getting.

Maybe NHRA can fine them $100,000? :)

I'd say the journalist(s) doesn't know how popular drag racing used to be.

Some interesting tidbits in there too. Do you know if there's any word on Peggy Llewyllen? Now that's a racer that needs a ride. She kicked butt in Houston last year.

Last I heard they were working on a Harley Davidson Deal, but then, and I don't know if this is related, they announced Angelle with a Harley Deal from a company in Texas. So.....hard telling.

OK Bill, since your in Long Beach working the Grand Prix it looks like it's all on your shoulders to set the record straight!;)

But I will also tell you that once Ashley F. or Melanie T. get their first wins, they'll get some mainstream notice, although perhaps not to the degree Danica is getting.
finally

Um, err, uh, Didn't Melanie ALREADY get a big girl win...?

I'm glad Danica finally got her first win - I was growing tired (maybe a little envious/jealous for the NHRA gals) of the media/marketing exposure without yet having closed the deal.

The guy on TV said she has been referred to as "the Anna Kornikova of motorsports" - this win ends THAT derision.
I believe "a high tide lifts all boats" this is good for motorsports in general. There's a lot more to go around.

Oh, Mike, I feel like Sisyphus, the character from mythology who was condemned by the gods to spend the rest of his life pushing a rock up a hill. I have made many efforts to enlighten other sports journalists as to the history, achievements, and great tradition of our sport but drag racing continues to have to fight for every bit of positive publicity it gets. The stick-and-ball jock-ocracy (as Howard Cosell used to describe it) doesn't really understand drag racing and many of its historical milestones are off their radar screens. Change is tough.

finally

Um, err, uh, Didn't Melanie ALREADY get a big girl win...?

I'm glad Danica finally got her first win - I was growing tired (maybe a little envious/jealous for the NHRA gals) of the media/marketing exposure without yet having closed the deal.

The guy on TV said she has been referred to as "the Anna Kornikova of motorsports" - this win ends THAT derision.
I believe "a high tide lifts all boats" this is good for motorsports in general. There's a lot more to go around.

I think he meant in refrence to in Funny Car, where there hasn't been a female national event winner.

Oh, Mike, I feel like Sisyphus, the character from mythology who was condemned by the gods to spend the rest of his life pushing a rock up a hill. I have made many efforts to enlighten other sports journalists as to the history, achievements, and great tradition of our sport but drag racing continues to have to fight for every bit of positive publicity it gets. The stick-and-ball jock-ocracy (as Howard Cosell used to describe it) doesn't really understand drag racing and many of its historical milestones are off their radar screens. Change is tough.
Keep pushing the rock Bill, you're in a much better position than most of us:D. I just live in the jockocracy where people think I'm weirdo for liking drag racing and didn't think black people liked stock car racing:D. I sent a little note to Stars and Stripes but I doubt it will help.

S/F
D

Pretty much how us Red Sox fan's have been feeling for years Bill!!!:D

Gotta love the IRL for trying to "SPIN" this to their advantage...but there are some educated people in the world, of course the Mainstream media is not a part of this "LOT", but I'll fire up the emails tomorrow morning to educate em'! Of Course, Bill, I've never thought of you as Mainstream....Your just freakin cool!

Timmah!

Maybe NHRA can fine them $100,000? :)
Haha, I laughed out loud at that. :p

Once again the MSM can't things right. I'm beginning to think I should have done more than photography in my journalism classes in high school since these days you can just make up stuff and ignore the facts while still collecting a paycheck. :rolleyes:

Yes, of course I was referring to Melanie winning her first national event in Funny Car. I have fond memories of interviewing her after her first Top Fuel win. I also wrote a feature last week for ESPN.com on the friendly rivalry between her and Ashley F. as to who will be the first woman to win in the F/C class.

I just returned back to the hotel here in Long Beach after MC'ing Champ Car's farewell party at the Queen Mary tonight. Kevin Kalkhoven was there as was Tony George and many of the Champ Car staff, drivers, mechanics, etc. who will now be moving on to various ventures. Many are still looking for their next gig. I bring this up only to let everyone here know how many of the guys in that series LOVE drag racing. During my time covering the series, I may have had more conversations about the NHRA races than the Champ Car events with the guys who work on the cars. The mainstream sports media may not be paying much attention to drag racing but a lot of the open-wheel boys would love to be working on fuel cars.

Is that what the press release actually said? I got an email from some "teabag" racers and their version said "first female to win a major road racing series event". They are aware of many more wins that aren't road racing or a series.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back