Letter to Nitromater (1 Viewer)

I apologize for not responding to Mr. Everett's letter earlier, but have been out of town for more than two weeks and without Internet access.

I absolutely did not lie in the post about Danica's win. The terminology used came directly from the IRL. I know this to be true because I'm o the IRL Media list and receive al of their releases. Their initial release stated it exactly as i quoted it.

Further, and probably now well known, is that since then the IRL has privately apologized directly to Ms. Muldowney for their inaccuracy in reporting Ms. Patrick's victory.

The personal attack on Ms. Muldowney by Mr. Everett was way out of line and also completely inaccurate. Ms. Muldowney may have evidenced anger at times during her career, but her interactions with her fans were, and continue to be, completely professional and excellent.

Mr. Everett's suggestion that people not contact their newspapers about inaccuracies is ludicrous. If we don't question things we know to be true we're accepting lies as truth.

Respectfully,

Jon Asher

Come on Jon she was moody to put it politely but lets face it she was a women in a male dominated sport she had to be rough some times.
I personally witnessed a few of those incidents at Fremont!

"Viso, I don't know who he is, even," Patrick said. "He's new, he's trying, he's got a pretty fast car. He's learning the ropes of this oval racing, but you know, he almost put me in the wall at one point and I'm like, 'Look dude, you're new, you better be nice because we all know how to handle this a lot better than you do at this point.'

What a lovely person she is. Pure class folks. :rolleyes:

She didnt actually say that did she?!?!:eek:
Male or Female...thats horrible for ANYONE to say....geez!!

She didnt actually say that did she?!?!:eek:
Male or Female...thats horrible for ANYONE to say....geez!!

Yeah she said that, and verbally slammed Tomas Schekter (a very experienced IRL driver) too. It was a awful interview. The ABC reporters really do try to stir the pot though, and dangle the bait. Unfortunately this time she rose to it big time. It made me cringe.

On the other hand she went on Letterman's show and was very graceful when he brought up that she had left Rahal Letterman Racing to go to AGR.

I'm a IRL fan and neutral on Danica despite her wacking me with her helmet bag at Infineon last year, after I took a picture of her.

She's a good driver with a lot of hype dumped on her shoulders.

Bad drivers? No. Inexperienced, heck yeah.

At Indy the standards are high by default, set by the track itself. If you are at the nationals, take a few hours before or after to visit IMS and imagine herding a car around the track, pulling 3 or 3.5 lateral g's 4 times every 35 or so seconds.

I went out there and was hooked, and there wasn't a car on the track. Finally got to go to the big race last year and I'm going again in a couple of weeks!

Very much like drag racing it is not fully appreciated on TV.

Over on an IRL board I hang on, I suggested she talk to John or Ashley Force and see which charm school JFR folks attend.

That's exactly what she said.....Michael is spot on. Great represenation of the Danica Patrick that I see...

Does anybody remember in that Indy 500 she led for a few laps that she actually took out a car on Pit road? She pulled out in front of another car, he spun out to avoid hitting her!

Does anybody remember in that Indy 500 she led for a few laps that she actually took out a car on Pit road? She pulled out in front of another car, he spun out to avoid hitting her!

That is NOT the drivers fault, they go when they are told to go leaving their pit stall ... it is up to the spotter, guy on the pit box, or one of the front tire changers. They sent her out into traffic.

Now ... what WAS her fault in that 500 that likely cost her the win was spinning out between turns 3 and 4 under yellow and damaging her front wing forcing her to pit for a new front nose, thusly she had to start at the tail end of the lead lap. This also put her out of pit sequence, so when she was leading later in the race ... she had to pit for fuel when others didn't, so she wound up 4th. Now that I think about it, I think it was Tomas "I lost my F1 ride curb crawling" Schekter that she hit when she spun in that 500 ....

Danica was the reason that INDY 500 was the most watched 500 in all of the events history and she made it exciting and most everyone was cheering for her.....

Danica was the reason that INDY 500 was the most watched 500 in all of the events history and she made it exciting and most everyone was cheering for her.....

That 500 was not the most watched 500 in history ... it was the most watched since the split in '96, in other words the most watched 500 in IRL history ... not Indy 500 history.

I am pretty sure the '81 500 which Bobby Unser won, then lost to Mario Andretti when results were made official on Monday after the race, then won in court months later was the most watched in 500 history. If you instantly want to make Mario's blood boil, tell him he lost the '81 500 and get the heck out of the way.

The 500 has not had a rating above 7 since the split (and has finished behind every Coke 600 in ratings since the split), back in the 70s/80s during the ABC Wide World of Sports days, the race routinely pulled down 17 and 18s.

Last edited:
The 500 has not had a rating above 7 since the split (and has finished behind every Coke 600 in ratings since the split), back in the 70s/80s during the ABC Wide World of Sports days, the race routinely pulled down 17 and 18s.

True, but you must remember that was an electronic entertainment environment that wasn't nearly as diluted with multiple channel choices plus the internet and video gaming.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back