An Open Letter to Pinks to Save Drag Racing (1 Viewer)

Paul

Nitro Member
(Sent to the Pinks feedback mailbox)

I've been impressed by the new interest in drag racing you've been able to generate with the Pinks show, you've made watching drag racing fun again.

On the flip side I'm pretty depressed by the state of NHRA racing. They've let the sport drift to the point where the cost for a pro team to field a competitve car isn't even in the ball park of what most sponsors are willing to pay for the minimal TV exposure the sport currently generates. So the sport has been depending on a few "private donors" who fund multiple car teams partly out of pocket. But now that one of them (Evan Knoll) has had some financial setbacks, it looks like this year the NHRA might not even have full fields in the pro categories.

Its a unique opportunity for someone to take advantage of the weak competition and make nitro drag racing fun again, and you guys look like the most likely candidates.

Why not start a Pinks Nitro Match Race series and bring back a whiff of the wild nitro match race days of the past? Pick competitors that were well liked by NHRA fans but can't afford to race the NHRA circuit anymore, and pit good guys against bad guys and young guys against old guys.

How about Whit Bazemore against Chris Karamesines to kick things off?

Follow it up with Dean Skuza against Al Hoffman. Bring Shirley back for a match race against Connie. Have Big Daddy tune a car against Dale Armstrong.

How about the Glidden family against the Johnson family in Pro Stock (dads tune, sons drive)?

Pay a guarantee but make a large part of the purse best 2 out of 3 winner takes all. Include your current format of a negotiation between rounds, but make the negotiation just for some additional "side bets" per each round. Make sure that before the race the racers do a little trash talking for the press, just like the old days.

For racers that aren't currently in a position to supply their own cars and support vehicles, contract with Paul Smith to provide cars, he's one the best at providing competitive nitro cars on a budget.

Please do this and bring Nitro racing back to life again, right now pro drag racing is generating about as much interest as pro bowling.

Sincerely,

Paul Titchener

Pinks is everything I hate about reality TV.

I hope they keep as far away from Real Drag Racing as possible.
Real 'Pinks' running is about bring your baddest Hot Rod and running heads up, not the twenty minutes of debating over who will spot who x amount of lead, bottle or no bottle...

But I remember when Street Racing was fun, and I could make a couple of hundred on a Saturday night... and no, never had a hot rod that was B/A enuff to run it fer Pink Slips... but she was bad enuff that we'd run fer a C note...

d'kid

I think that show (and I don't personally like it!) missed out on millions in merchandising just because of that name. You'll never see it become popular for guys to have "PINKS" decals on vehicles, the logo on their clothing, etc. Ain't happenin'. They missed out on the number one money making aspect of having an even fairly popular form of entertainment.

How is the cost of a Fuel team effect the Popularity of the Sport? Last year there we're plenty of cars at most races. This year you may see some short fields at selected races, but that's happened before. If Pinks is the NHRA"s savior, then Drag racing as a whole is headed down the tubes fast!

And the reference to Evan having financial problems!!??

How can that be said without actually knowing what is going on..other than the fact that he's having MAJOR health issues..why would you want a reality TV show to save NHRA? :rolleyes:

Reality TV shows come and go. What's the average life span, 2-3 years at best?

And NHRA drag racing has been around for how many years, 50+?

And you want a fad reality TV show to save NHRA drag racing? I don't think so.

Just my humble opinion.

I think it's a great idea to do a show with Nitro cars. But, Please Please Please do not let them negotiate the way they do on the show now. It drives me *&^% crazy!! I say this would be a good idea because I know PINKS gets great ratings. It would expose this side of drag racing to alot of people that would not normally sit through the telecast of NHRA. Will it "Save" the sport, I don't think so. I don't think the sport needs saving, I think we need a fresh out of the box way of thinking about promoting NHRA. It's been said many many times before on here but, think of it this way, the simplest way to start would be for sponsors to run commercials and print ads with their drivers in non-traditional markets (even traditional markets would be a plus). You do not have to be watching ESPN or reading a racing publication to see commercials/ads with NASCAR sponsors, drivers, toys. I drive down I75 everyday through Atlanta and there have been billboards for atleast a month and a halfAlso, one thing I have noticed that seems a no brainer is why is coke doing all these mycokerewards and there is no mention of NHRA in the rewards program?? Why? Coke owns Powerade!!! Maybe I am just missing part of this puzzle because it just seems like a no brainer to me. ??????

I thought 2 ihra notro guys were did a pinks episode awhile back?

The regular pinks show drives me nuts, although with it being winter in michigan I have been known to stop on that channel just to get some type of drag racing.

The pinks all out is more tolerable. THe guy doing the arm starts is annoying and not using the clocks drives me nuts. I do like that sportsman classes do get a shot to be on tv

(Sent to the Pinks feedback mailbox)

I've been impressed by the new interest in drag racing you've been able to generate with the Pinks show, you've made watching drag racing fun again.

On the flip side I'm pretty depressed by the state of NHRA racing. They've let the sport drift to the point where the cost for a pro team to field a competitve car isn't even in the ball park of what most sponsors are willing to pay for the minimal TV exposure the sport currently generates. So the sport has been depending on a few "private donors" who fund multiple car teams partly out of pocket. But now that one of them (Evan Knoll) has had some financial setbacks, it looks like this year the NHRA might not even have full fields in the pro categories.

Its a unique opportunity for someone to take advantage of the weak competition and make nitro drag racing fun again, and you guys look like the most likely candidates.

Why not start a Pinks Nitro Match Race series and bring back a whiff of the wild nitro match race days of the past? Pick competitors that were well liked by NHRA fans but can't afford to race the NHRA circuit anymore, and pit good guys against bad guys and young guys against old guys.

How about Whit Bazemore against Chris Karamesines to kick things off?

Follow it up with Dean Skuza against Al Hoffman. Bring Shirley back for a match race against Connie. Have Big Daddy tune a car against Dale Armstrong.

How about the Glidden family against the Johnson family in Pro Stock (dads tune, sons drive)?

Pay a guarantee but make a large part of the purse best 2 out of 3 winner takes all. Include your current format of a negotiation between rounds, but make the negotiation just for some additional "side bets" per each round. Make sure that before the race the racers do a little trash talking for the press, just like the old days.

For racers that aren't currently in a position to supply their own cars and support vehicles, contract with Paul Smith to provide cars, he's one the best at providing competitive nitro cars on a budget.

Please do this and bring Nitro racing back to life again, right now pro drag racing is generating about as much interest as pro bowling.

Sincerely,

Paul Titchener
Did you fall down and hit your head real hard recently?:eek:

you tell'um Mike also let him start the Nitro Cars with hand signals, now that will be a hoot:D Just a little to cheesy for me

Mixing the NItro-Shine with a little Alky-Shine in Bama;)

I like the "Pinks" show. I like the passion and personality of the racers that are in it. It reminds me of some of the guys I know here in my hometown.

For some of you that have never hung out at the local Friday/Saturday night street race spot, you'll never get it.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back