A better show for drag racing (1 Viewer)

sammi

Nitro Member
Here are my suggestions on improving the race coverage from NHRA national events.

1)Limit all JFR coverage to 60 seconds per show.
2)Create a five minute drag racing history package narrated by Phil Burgess, Snake or Garlits. This would be a part of every show.
3)Create a five minute "racing around the country" package that examines grass roots racing.
4)Profile the best appearing, best engineered and best appearing crew awards in a series of small packages.
5)Make a serious effort to look for stories in the bottom half of the qualified fields.
6)Feature a sportsman category every event. The success of Pinks is largely due to the interest the public has in the wide variety of cars. Make this reality work FOR the telecast.
7)Maintain the actual race telecast. Get rid of Paul Page, make Mike Dunn the featured announcer and bring in Whit, Snake or Shirley for color.

Mark Watkins

I cant speak for all, but for myself.. eliminate PSB coverage too. I haven't watched a minute of it for the past three years. You could cut an hour out of the 3 hours if you did that.

That list sounds similar to the NHRA today format they used on that show with Steve Evans. Loved watching that show Sundays on TNN.

the prob with psb is even when they are not at the event the show still goes for 3 hours...just takes about 35 minutes more of filler programming....
Force will never see any of the spotlight leave his camp....look at most sports and they always pick a couple guys and call them the faces of the program... golf does it with tiger and lefty....nhra does it thru the forces....not saying iot right but its what happens all the time

Welcome to the Mater, Dan.

It's just bad programming. I would love to see a segment each broadcast that focused on the history..similar to what Burgess is doing @ ND. Some of the characters/cars, etc.

The AA/GS wars..old Diamond P footage.

How they bypassed interviewing the 'Greek' this year and showcasing his classic history is way beyond me.

if favre doesn't sign with the vikings - get him in a nitro car.
that would give a ratings bump :rolleyes:

couple of thoughts about tv shows

- have liked the 'camera in the stands' about 1/2 track - think that
shows speed really well

- like dan becker said - every sport has their faces and rite now john force
racing is nhra's...........don't know why the fascination with his scooter
though; if you want to show drivers somewhere between finish line and
pits, show jack beckman - always workin' the crowd.

- get the fans involved in the show - if you can't feel and smell the racing
through your tv - then have a fan, preferrably a new one, tell us about it.
tape-delayed show so nhra has luxury of editing.....or tape
segments on fri. and sat. and use as filler
sell these segments to a sponsor/s and then have fan wear appropriate
sponsor's cap during interview - then give the fan a shirt, coupons, etc.

- start having elims. on sat. nite for a few summer nat. events.

- have liked the 'camera in the stands' about 1/2 track - think that
shows speed really well

I like those fan shots too. The further away the camera, the faster they look like they're going. Brainerd has a spot for a camera that they had at the start at the top of the stands, it was always my favorite camera shot.

See example: Shelly Anderson Blowover (opening shot)
YouTube - Shelly Anderson's Top Fuel Blowover 1996

This vid in particular, they smoke the tires at the same time, but Shelly hooked back up after a peddle, and you can see it just take off (literally)

They stopped using that angle for some reason. Now its in your face shots, or the stationary show the tire shot. I do like those shots as well, but they wear out. Theyre on to something with the shot from the crowd views, you can see more that way then the mid track wall camera where they zip by as a blur.

Last edited:
Couldn't agree more with the camera shots from the stands. I also like that when they do those shots, they give more "raw" sound of the cars and that helps too. That camera view really gives a spectators view and sound that could be used to show the race better. I think we have just become too accustomed to the show thats on now. It's time for a makeover.

Get Dunn & Page out of the production trailer. I'd like to see something similar to "Nascar Trackside", where they're on the set, out in the elements, right near the grandstands with fans in the background. How about bring one lucky fan in the booth for color commentary? Havethem tell the folks thier experiences of the day. Put a mic on a fan all day, let a camera follow them around - play the highlights during the telecast.

Get Dunn & Page out of the production trailer. I'd like to see something similar to "Nascar Trackside", where they're on the set, out in the elements, right near the grandstands with fans in the background. How about bring one lucky fan in the booth for color commentary? Havethem tell the folks thier experiences of the day. Put a mic on a fan all day, let a camera follow them around - play the highlights during the telecast.

Would this be technically possible with all the noise?

Welcome to the Mater, Dan.

It's just bad programming. I would love to see a segment each broadcast that focused on the history..similar to what Burgess is doing @ ND. Some of the characters/cars, etc.

The AA/GS wars..old Diamond P footage.

How they bypassed interviewing the 'Greek' this year and showcasing his classic history is way beyond me.

They did an interview with "The Greek". They were asking him if he has passed the 70's yet and he said well past the 70's!!!!!!

I cant speak for all, but for myself.. eliminate PSB coverage too. I haven't watched a minute of it for the past three years. You could cut an hour out of the 3 hours if you did that.

Please enlighten us as to when the last time PSB ever got an hour of the three hour show? I've never timed it, but I'm thinking more like 10-15 minutes, MAX.

you know what also sucks, they show the Garlits Blowover on Englishtown highlights but don't show 6.98 from KJ or John Force going 320+. Yet a couple years back they showed the Johnny West accident from 1990. wasn't that Diamond P?, talk about picky.

Please enlighten us as to when the last time PSB ever got an hour of the three hour show? I've never timed it, but I'm thinking more like 10-15 minutes, MAX.

Not to offend anyone, but my personal opinions are just opinions.

Ok, maybe not an hour... just seemed like an hour. If you took all the runs and interviews, I bet it would approach a half hour to 45 mins? I dont know I didnt time it, I always skip it (and the commercials that run between) on the DVR.

Like it has been mentioned before, take a look at the stands when PSB runs, they are a fraction of what they are when TF, FC run.. If even those attending the events are not watching the PSB's, why are they given air time trying to attract viewers?

More opinions, I love to watch the alcohol cars run, yet the stands are empty when they run too. I always thought PSB should go with the sportsman show. Extend the sportsman hour show to an hour and a half and include the psb's.

And when the pro mods are at the event, give them coverage like the PSB's. (Im assuming that more people would be entertained with a wild and flashy pro mod run then the super consistent and uniform looking PSB's)

Just opinions. Im not trying to insult PSB drivers. I am just bored with them.

Yip the old main event video Nitro Warriors were like that , John Lundberg and Don Garlits announcing trackside . I personally think that espn needs to take a lesson from the old main event video drag racing videos

A lot of Main event videos were like that, "Berzerko" Bobby Doerrer did it during the Us All Pro Funny Car Championships @ RP on the old Fuel Freaks video, and even Lewis Bloom did it during the Spring Jet Car Championships from RP back in 1993 on the Pro Jet tape that had a pre-sarge Tony Schumacher when he drove for Wayne Knuth. Despite there was one that had Bob Frey miked from the Tower during the 1988 Budweiser Super Stock Nationals.

don't think the racing, the cars, the stars are the problem - you get a
horsepower nut to a nat. event and chances are he/she will be back.
evidence crowd reaction to doug's solo pass at recent zmax 'pinks' event.
YouTube - Top fuel Dragster at Pinks All Out-Concord, NC

disposable income, lack thereof, and/or how/where it's spent.
value vs. dollar spent - entire day at nat. events is not cheap.

will argue venues such as BIR and others that have similar camping
offer more bang for the buck for the casual fan - the entire day becomes
more than travel/watch/travel home......the event becomes multi-day,
SAME as many successful multi-day summer music festivals which is
one form of summer entertainment the nhra is competing against.

I still like the little factoid tidbits they'll put out once in a while on the shows comparing a top fueler to a NASCAR car or Indy car. I think that puts it all into prespective. They used to always have - and even show on TV, exhibition vehicles, jet cars, nitro Harleys, wheelstanders, which used to run on Sunday after the final rounds. That should be brought back. And I still don't think they stress enough what "pit-pass" means.... so people will think, "Hey that looks pretty neat; let's get tickets the next time they're in town".

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back