An open letter to anyone passing by (1 Viewer)

farmje

Nitro Member
I sent this to the NHRA today.

Dear NHRA,

I’m not writing this letter because I necessarily expect anything to be done about it. I just feel like I owe it to the sport that I have loved for so many years to do this. I’m not expecting things to change, but as a huge fan of the sport, I don’t know what else to do.

I have been a fan of NHRA drag racing since I was 5 years old. I was sitting in the stands with my dad, and out of nowhere, this guy named John Force comes and sits in the stands next to us, and watches sportsmen qualifying. I have attended at least one event per year ever since that day.

As I’ve grown up, I’ve admired the NHRA Drag Racing Circuit. I have found myself in front of my TV (many times with a group of friends) yelling for my favorite drivers. I have dealt with the 1000% humidity at Topeka, Memphis and Dallas, and have found myself paying for one of those really good hamburgers on numerous occasions. (You know, the $8 ones.)

I have fond memories. Buster Couch chasing and cussing out a dog at Topeka because it had snapped at him. John Force in the stands. Steve Johnson breaking his leg at Topeka. Qualifying lasting until midnight at Memphis. And many others.

I have always been an advocate of what the NHRA has represented, and stood for. Until today.

I have found myself in complete disbelief as I read what is happening with the sport that I love so much. The complete lack of leadership is appalling to me. I hear about how NHRA wants to make ‘the show’ better, but in the end, it seems as though all NHRA cares about is money.

There is much to be said about businesses taking care of their customers. As a customer of the NHRA, I am saddened and sickened with what I am seeing. Nitro shortages. Lack of planning. Lack of being willing to work with other people. Increase of ticket prices. Increase of managements salaries. And the seeming absence of answers.

I was watching the finals in Bristol, and saw empty stands for the finals. Of course rain was the cause. But I think those stands are something that you need to look at and consider. You are headed to that place if you forget about your customers. More and more people are becoming disgruntled. I don’t have people over anymore, nor do I talk about how great the NHRA is. Frankly, I’m embarrassed.

The NHRA likes numbers and money. So you should consider these.

Here is the cost of losing a single customer:

68% of customers are lost because an organization didn’t handle their complaint well. The percentage is staggering but true!

US News and World Report found that:
-1% of customers leave because someone in the company dies
-3% change location
-5% make other friendships
-9% go to competition
-14% are dissatisfied
-68% leave because of bad service

It gets worse. Research shows that out of 25 dissatisfied customers:
-One customer complains
-24 are dissatisfied but don’t complain
-6 of the non-complainers have “serious” problems
-The 24 non complainers tell between 10 and 20 other people about their bad experience

From a pool of 25 customers, between 250 and 500 potential customers learn about bad service. If 500 people choose not to come back, you are losing $52,000 in ticket costs for general admission at Topeka, and thousands of dollars in concessions as well. If you apply this (on average) to all 24 races, the NHRA is losing over $1.24 million dollars. You are also losing TV ratings, among other countless things. Not to mention your reputation. Do you understand the implications of these unresolved issues?

You are dealing with a problem of epic proportions. I am the one who is complaining. You should worry about me. But you should worry even more about the 24 others who aren’t. (And apply this statistical analysis and loss of money to the thousands of fans you have who are disgruntled).

I am hoping that NHRA will get better. The answer is there. The future is in front of you. And the choice is yours. Please don’t screw this up.

Sincerely,

Jeremy Farmer
Malvern, Arkansas

Jeremy, good letter, you're are obviously a loyal fan with good intentions. I've sent similar letters to Tom C. and Graham L. even one inviting them to join the maters on Monday chat and not one response. Unfortunately the only way NHRA is going to correct the many problems it has, is with new ownership and management. Thanks for the letter and I hope a lot more fans and racers do the same thing.:D

jeremy--- besides the nitro shortage, which is indefensible, [although maybe nhra should let us hear their side of the story] increase of management salaries, which seem to be pretty standard these days and increase of ticket prices which I believe are still reasonable when compared to other sports or concerts [$ 150.00 and up to see a major band ] you mention lack of planning and lack of willing to work with others. These are two pretty broad headings. Why don't you tell us what you're complaining about.

Great letter, perhaps it should be signed by all the 'Maters in agreement and sent back to NHRA, for all that they care.

That is a very well written letter with the facts, no name calling etc. I would also think they are forgetting the other people who pay their salaries... The racers, both sportsman and pros. Poor payouts, rising fuel costs all lead up to no independents and under funded teams.

JL

Barry,

I won't pay more than the cost of a CD to 'go' see a band... therefore I don't go to concerts... and, if the local race gets over a buck and a quarter for three days reserved seats, guess where else I won't go anymore...

bottom line... it's what the product is worth to me.

d'kid
by the way, I use over half of JFR's sponsors...

you mention lack of planning and lack of willing to work with others. These are two pretty broad headings. Why don't you tell us what you're complaining about.

I read it a few times hoping maybe I had just missed the specifics. Guess I'm not the only one.

Great letter, but I do think you should have expounded more on the specifics of your complaints. Just my opionion.

Barry,

I won't pay more than the cost of a CD to 'go' see a band... therefore I don't go to concerts...

Wow. I love live shows as much as I love seeing Drag Racing in person. I'd compare listening to a bands CD to watching Drag Racing on tv. It just ain't the same as being there to experience it live.

Maybe you should just buy the year in review DVD, and not go to the races either. :D

Jeremy,
I dont always like nor agree with what you have to say but!!!! You hit the nail on the head with that one. Great Job and thank you for showing your love and support for this great sport. Hopefully we all can follow your lead and pray something changes

Sincerly
Travo :)

Jeremy, your letter will be viewed as nothing but an attack and therefore won't be taken as I think you intended.

It started out ok but statements like "lack of leadership", "all NHRA cares about is money" and "Please don’t screw this up." do not convey a sense of wanting to help, just whining.

If you are wanting results, your letter should offer positive ideas and solutions.

Finally, as others have stated, you give no specifics.

And the seeming absence of answers.
Speaking of that, anybody gotten their hands on that Darrell Russell report yet? You know, the one we were told by Dim Light would be out in a few weeks about 2 years ago. :rolleyes:

Wow. I love live shows as much as I love seeing Drag Racing in person. I'd compare listening to a bands CD to watching Drag Racing on tv. It just ain't the same as being there to experience it live.

Maybe you should just buy the year in review DVD, and not go to the races either. :D

Ya missed the point Vaughn... there isn't a band playing today that I would play more than twenty bucks to see... and I have never seen a live show that sounded better than studio...

I'll go to an IHRA show long before I'd BUY anything that is Official NHRA... much less a dvd of propaganda of points chase that even they knew was a farce.

d'kid

and I have never seen a live show that sounded better than studio...

I prefer the live shows over the studio albums. In fact, I'd rather listen to a live bootleg, than a studio album. I am not a big fan of all the polished up fake stuff. Overdubs and all that crap. I like it raw and in your face.

Anyway, didn't mean to derail the thread.

I read it a few times hoping maybe I had just missed the specifics. Guess I'm not the only one.

Great letter, but I do think you should have expounded more on the specifics of your complaints. Just my opionion.

Vaughn & Barry,

First, thanks for reading the letter. My intention of the letter was to expound on the things that most fans are upset about, and explain why I (as a fan) am appalled with the current status of the NHRA.

I will admit, going into details would have perhaps been a bit better, but the letter was already long enough without me having to explain things that the normal fan would probably not be upset about.

I would, however, be glad to expound on them since you asked me to.

Lack of planning: Organizationally speaking, the NHRA obviously hasn't done much to continue their growth. I don't see the fan base of the NHRA increasing. The bottom dollar is increasing, but so are the ticket prices. I don't see the NHRA doing anything to facilitate smoother run races, or providing any sort of consistency with track preparation. I think someone said on here that if the NHRA was run like a local business in our community, we'd be out of business after the second day. I couldn't agree more.

What if tomorrow, Starbucks came out with a new business philosophy: we're never changing anything again. No more new drinks, no more new store designs, no more new business philosophies. We may never have a problem with it, but they would tank in a matter of years.

Starbucks has recently brought back their founder as their CEO, Howard Schultz. He recently said this in an article. "And there are a number of things we are going to do. Also we will do more things to better reward our most loyal and best customers. Some 15 percent of our transactions are on the Starbucks card. And we need to look at store design. We haven't done enough here. In the future, you'll see new store design that significantly improves the customer experience. We cannot embrace the status quo. Going back to the future is not enough; we need a new level of differentiation and innovation."

Starbucks is a company with more than $9 billion in revenues, more than $1 billion in operating income and 50 million customers in their stores every week. Why in the world would they be talking about a new level of differentiation and innovation? Because change is needed if you are going to survive.

The NHRA is not doing this. Change is not happening. And status quo drag racing will not have a chance to continually be a success.

I hope I have elaborated enough for you on that point. You see, how long of a letter this would be?

Secondly. Lack of working with others: I have NEVER seen the NHRA do anything at their events to see what we, the common fan thought. How much ownership do we have in the sport? None. (as a fan, anyway). We have a ticket stub, but nothing else. Everyone else (including myself) complains about the NHRA being out of touch with its fans. They have no desire to work with anyone else. They have no desire to hear what you have to say. On numerous occasions in the last five years, they have ignored even what the patriarchs of the sport have said in many cases. When you show me an organization that is through changing, you show me an organization that is through. It's only a matter of time.

The NHRA is great because of its people -- not because of who sits at the top of the ladder making every day to day decision. I don't see the NHRA working with PRO as closely as it needs to. I don't see the NHRA working with local track owners (ie: Bruton Smith would probably have some input to make things better if asked, and I can't think of a better person who understands profits/loss than him), the racers (especially the sportsmen), or the common fan (me & you).

The NHRA has selfishly positioned itself in a place where the ideals or the people who support it the most don't matter. They don't want to work with us...heck, they want nothing to do with us, other than for us to spend the $100-ish dollars on our three day pass,.

They obviously can't do everything that we say (you need stability somewhere), but if I were them, I would be listening to someone. I don't see that happening.

I hope that answered your question, and showed you why I didn't add specifics. This letter would have quickly become a dissertation.

Thanks to everyone else for the positive comments. I know just like you do that we, and the incredible racers (from the bottom to the top) are why this sport is the greatest freaking show on the planet.

Last edited:
Jeremy, your letter will be viewed as nothing but an attack and therefore won't be taken as I think you intended.

It started out ok but statements like "lack of leadership", "all NHRA cares about is money" and "Please don’t screw this up." do not convey a sense of wanting to help, just whining.

If you are wanting results, your letter should offer positive ideas and solutions.

Finally, as others have stated, you give no specifics.

Paul,

I don't feel like I have to defend myself, but will hopefully shed some light on my intentions with those three statements.

Lack of leadership: this is not a personal attack on anyone. I didn't mention Graham Light or Tom Compton. I was simply pointing out that, to me, there is an absence of leadership in the NHRA. (Hence, the potential loss of profits).

Cares about it money: please re-read the sentence. I said that to me, it seems like all the NHRA cares about is money (which is why I offered them the information on the cost of losing a customer). I didn't accuse them of only caring about money, I simply said that it seems that way.

Please don't screw this up: I have no explanation for this one. I felt as though a strong closing statement was necessary.

Offering solutions: I thought (if I may say so as humbly as possible) that the cost of losing a customer is very important to the letter. My intention of the letter was for NHRA to see that I matter. That you matter. That we matter. If I have gotten one person to think that, I have done my job with it.

Explanation of vagueness: see above post.

I know many of you could have written it way better than I did...and I am not expecting anything to happen as a result of this. But I couldn't sit idle anymore, and sans showing up at their front door (which isn't going to happen), this is how I could communicate how I feel.

I appreciate everyone's feedback and support. It is much appreciated.

Jeremy,

Your letter capsulizes much of the frustration with current state of the sport. Exasperation!

My own feeling (and I'm no more capable of expressing this frustration in a logical point-by-pont rant) is that current management is "just mailing-it-in". This was especially apparent last year after they anticipated the great good fortune to come from the HD deal.

Original ideas, innovation, risk-taking seem to be lacking.

Maybe the answers will come from the Bader's of the sport. Where's our Humpey Wheeler?

Not lost on me you could substitue US Government in place of NHRA and it would read well.

NHRA is not a true Capitolist Organization.
There would be no shortage of Nito if only one brand wasn't mandated.
The tires might well be better if one brand were not mandated.
You get the picture ?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back