An open letter to anyone passing by (1 Viewer)

Although I am a drag racing fan and not a racer, I frankly don't have many complaints as to rising ticket prices as mentioned in the letter. Tickets to a NHRA Powerade event are a bargain when compared with other sporting events. For example, my brother has had NFL season tickets for more than 20 years. His seats are located on about the 30 yard line of the second deck, four rows back, and he pays $92 per game. And has anyone checked the ticket prices lately for a NASCAR Sprint Cup race? I have a great seat at the NHRA Powerade race I attend each year and it costs me $60 for the Sunday final- and that's for an all day event, not for the three or four hours it takes to play a football game or run a NASCAR race. Moreover, the price of admission to a NHRA drag race includes access to the pits, which costs extra at a NASCAR race (if available at all). There is of course no equivalent to a pit pass in stick and ball sports.

Every sports league and every racing sanctioning body has its own share of problems of one type or another. For instance, NASCAR is the most successful racing organization in the US yet there are a large number of stock car fans who consider Brian France and the NASCAR powers that be the equivalent of the antichrist. The same can said of the leadership for the sanctioning bodies in open wheel and other forms or racing, none of which are immune from critics. While I might not agree with every decision handed down from the offices of Brian France or Tom Compton, I also know that there is little I can say or do to change those decisions. For me, spending time watching drag racing on television or at the track affords me time to escape and get away from the problems of the world for a few hours. Why anyone would want to unnecessarily add further complications to what is essentially a pastime. regardless of how passionate, is beyond me.

Every sports league and every racing sanctioning body has its own share of problems of one type or another. For instance, NASCAR is the most successful racing organization in the US yet there are a large number of stock car fans who consider Brian France and the NASCAR powers that be the equivalent of the antichrist. The same can said of the leadership for the sanctioning bodies in open wheel and other forms or racing, none of which are immune from critics. While I might not agree with every decision handed down from the offices of Brian France or Tom Compton, I also know that there is little I can say or do to change those decisions. For me, spending time watching drag racing on television or at the track affords me time to escape and get away from the problems of the world for a few hours. Why anyone would want to unnecessarily add further complications to what is essentially a pastime. regardless of how passionate, is beyond me.

This is a VERY ASTUTE observation and worth discussing. Since Brian France implemented the Chase and the COT, he has been public enemy number one on NASCAR boards. Tony George created the IRL because he didn't like CART in the mid 90s. The resulting split in open wheel racing cippled the sport. They have gotten back together now, but Tony George went on TV and said that they need to get open wheel back to where CART was in the 90s. I nearly had a seizure.

The primary criticism on this board of NHRA upper management is that they are not drag racing guys, so therefor could not possibly know what is best for drag racing. Well, both examples I have given above were by "racing guys". Brian France is the 3rd genereation France to run NASCAR, and was groomed for it his whole life. Tony George inherited Indianapolis Motor Speedway, and has held nearly every job you can have at the Speedway, from racer to promoter to popcorn salesman, and was also groomed for it his whole life. In the eyes of most fans, neith France nor George have done what is best for their sport despite being "racing guys".

I certainly don't agree with some of the things done by Compton and his cronies, but compared to the drastic changes other forms of racing, NHRA may not be in as bad shape as sometimes declared on this board.

This is a VERY ASTUTE observation and worth discussing. Since Brian France implemented the Chase and the COT, he has been public enemy number one on NASCAR boards. Tony George created the IRL because he didn't like CART in the mid 90s. The resulting split in open wheel racing cippled the sport. They have gotten back together now, but Tony George went on TV and said that they need to get open wheel back to where CART was in the 90s. I nearly had a seizure.

The primary criticism on this board of NHRA upper management is that they are not drag racing guys, so therefor could not possibly know what is best for drag racing. Well, both examples I have given above were by "racing guys". Brian France is the 3rd genereation France to run NASCAR, and was groomed for it his whole life. Tony George inherited Indianapolis Motor Speedway, and has held nearly every job you can have at the Speedway, from racer to promoter to popcorn salesman, and was also groomed for it his whole life. In the eyes of most fans, neith France nor George have done what is best for their sport despite being "racing guys".

I certainly don't agree with some of the things done by Compton and his cronies, but compared to the drastic changes other forms of racing, NHRA may not be in as bad shape as sometimes declared on this board.

Good observations - Tony George created the IRL to do one thing and one thing only - take control of Indy Car racing the way the France family controls Nascar. Personally, I don't have a problem with it. CART was case of too many chiefs not enough indians and they were running themselves into the ground. George could not let those greedy selfish owners take over the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and I 'm very glad he didn't. Indy car racing is alive and well, rumors of it's demise were premature. Tony brought us seven years of F1 and may well get them back again. The 500 is as good as ever AFAIC. The only thing I don't like is that he may bring the IRL back too close to what CART used to be. I have a hunch he's just saying that to placate the CART fans who aren't happy. Sure there will be a few more road/street courses, and I hope they choose them wisely. But today at 4 I 'll be watching the milwaukee mile, and it will be good. I 'll tape the NHRA it's already taped anyway right.

For the original poster,,I 'm not sure I get it. I go to the gators every year and always get my $$ worth. Every penny. $150 for three full days of nitro cars ? I'll pay that no problem. I'm not a racer so perhaps you are and have more things to complain about but your starbucks analogy doesn't cut it.

The NHRA is all there is for nitro racing. They are the ringling bros barnum and bailey circus of drag racing. Sure you can go to the cole bros if you want - have fun there. The nhra doesn't have to change. All they have to do is keep putting 32 nitro burners on the track every year at gainesville for a reasonable price and I will be there. Bottom line,,, as John would say...

Hi to all; this is my first post although i have been "mater" for a while. I live in Canada (where it is still cold) and really remember going to Norwalk a few years ago.It was packed and at the end of the night as we all left the event .......there was Bill Bader and his son at each exit leaning in the window of each vehicle as they left asking "how was it?..did you enjoy yourself today?".......I've been to a lot of races ; but, i"ll never forget that. Thanks,bob

I posted my own open letter on Bobby's
"Nitro Restrictions" post. But I just had
a thought...this might be a great time
to bring out the "Bring Back Top Gas" signs.

Last edited:
Great letter.

I know the difficulties about trying to write a letter to them while trying to give detail, without being too long and without going off like I would like to. I've written them a couple of times.

never heard a peep from them but I do commend you for trying. Maybe a mass mailing needs to happen

Great letter.

I know the difficulties about trying to write a letter to them while trying to give detail, without being too long and without going off like I would like to. I've written them a couple of times.

never heard a peep from them but I do commend you for trying. Maybe a mass mailing needs to happen

My sentiments exactly:D

AMEN!

Although I am a drag racing fan and not a racer, I frankly don't have many complaints as to rising ticket prices as mentioned in the letter. Tickets to a NHRA Powerade event are a bargain when compared with other sporting events. For example, my brother has had NFL season tickets for more than 20 years. His seats are located on about the 30 yard line of the second deck, four rows back, and he pays $92 per game. And has anyone checked the ticket prices lately for a NASCAR Sprint Cup race? I have a great seat at the NHRA Powerade race I attend each year and it costs me $60 for the Sunday final- and that's for an all day event, not for the three or four hours it takes to play a football game or run a NASCAR race. Moreover, the price of admission to a NHRA drag race includes access to the pits, which costs extra at a NASCAR race (if available at all). There is of course no equivalent to a pit pass in stick and ball sports.

Rich,

I have a few comments regarding your excellent post that I wanted to point out.

I don't think (honestly) people are feeling jipped at the cost of prices. I feel like I'm getting a good deal when I pay $100-ish dollars for a three day pass to watch a ton of racing. I really feel like I'm getting jipped when I see where that money is going. I don't think the NHRA markets their product well. You mention the NFL and NASCAR -- both of those in the "what is your favorite sport" poll will blow the NHRA out of the water by at least 70 percent. Why is it that when NASCAR people come to the NHRA they are blown away? Why is it that people recognize Kyle Busch, but have no clue who Robert Hight is? Why is it that Hillary Will was on a game show as a drag racer and no one knew who the heck she was? NHRA is not spending their money wisely to market their product.

I don't have all the answers. I don't think Tom Compton or Graham Light are the antichrist. I don't hate them. I just don't think they are doing a good job marketing this sport. It isn't fair to all of the people who tirelessly serve to make the NHRA a better place. It's not fair to the sponsors who fork over millions of dollars, only to be told by fans approval ratings, and just common sense that NASCAR is a much better way to invest your money. I think NHRA owes it to the sponsors, and to the drivers to do a way better job.

I hate it how things have come to money, sponsorship dollars, marketing strategies...but that's what it's at. When IRL is third on the list of the fans most favorite sport; below NASCAR and NHRA...but we hear waaaaay more about her winning her first race than Ashley Force.

SOMEONE IS NOT DOING THEIR JOB!

I am not an NHRA hater. I'm not a Graham or Tom hater. I just see a lot of potential and it's not happening. If this sport is ever going to survive in the ever-changing world, some changes need to be made. Which is why I wrote about Starbucks in my earlier post. You show me an organization that is through changing, and I show you an organization that is through.

Hi to all; this is my first post although i have been "mater" for a while. I live in Canada (where it is still cold) and really remember going to Norwalk a few years ago.It was packed and at the end of the night as we all left the event .......there was Bill Bader and his son at each exit leaning in the window of each vehicle as they left asking "how was it?..did you enjoy yourself today?".......I've been to a lot of races ; but, i"ll never forget that. Thanks,bob

Bob,

It sounds like Bill Bader and his son created a raving fan out of you. Check this out:

A number of years ago, Sheldon Bowles wrote a book called “Raving Fans” – he argued that to keep your customers today, you couldn’t be content just to satisfy them; you have to create “raving fans” – These are customers who are so excited about the way you treat them that they want to tell stories about you. They become a part of your sales team.

Why is it that on these boards, everyone loves, loves, LOVES Norwalk? It's because of Bill Bader and his son. I don't see any other track owners mentioned around here (except for Bruton Smith) in love as much as I see it with the Bader's. They have created RAVING FANS.

The Bader's have a sales team. It's you. It's me. It's every fan that gets that ice cream (I know many of you can't wait), and it's every fan like Bob wrote about above...who will never forget an experience like THAT.

Those are the types of things that the NHRA needs to do. Something on that large of a scale...it can be done. I will shut up after one final story:

When the new San Diego Padres Stadium (Petco Park) was built, the managers wanted the fans to have a very special experience in it. Every night, every employee – whether they were in food service, maintenance, security, or what have you – was expected to focus his/her energies on creating good fan memories. As part of the training, a short video was made, telling the story of Johnny the Bagger. The video was ended by saying this, “are you going to be a Johnny tonight? This video was shown to everyone, full time or part time, no matter where they were.

Before the gates opened, everyone would be asking one another, “Are you going to be a Johnny tonight?” The first summer that Petco Park was in business, they got 7500 unsolicited notes and letters from fans telling stories how they had been blown away by the service they had received from someone in the park.

For example, a woman brought her little baby to the game one night and ran out of milk. She went to one of the concession stands and asked for some milk. A young man behind the counter said, “we don’t sell milk here, but I know where I can get it. What’s your seat number?” This young man got someone to cover his station, while he raced outside of the ballpark and down the street to the 7-11. He bought milk, came back and heated it up and took it to the waiting mother. She couldn’t believe it. Neither will you after you read the Johnny story and see how you and everyone in your organization can make a difference in your customers lives. The memories you create will keep people coming back and bringing their friends for years to come.

--

Petco Park created raving fans. Bill Bader creates raving fans. The NHRA needs to start creating raving fans. If they do that, they'll be in amazing shape.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back