The Danica vs Ashley comparison isn't.... (1 Viewer)

Toejam

Nitro Member
When Ashley Force got her FC license, I thought for sure the exposure she would receive from the press would take this sport to the next level! After 2 years in the class when you see all the press Danica Patrick gets, I think NOT! Other than an article or two Drag racing as a whole remains a 2nd class Motorsport as far as the media is concerned!

Danica also gets mainstream exposure (all puns intended) as a GoDaddy girl whereas Ashley isn't seen much outside motorsports let alone drag racing. Something also tells me that Danica probably also has some sort of marketing machine behind her getting her name out making her a product banking on unique position in Indy and NASCAR rather than any success she may/may not have on the track, and I just don't see Ashley going that route.

It's easy to see why.

NASCAR is the 800 lb gorilla in motorsports, and female success has been zilch, zero, non existent. Danica is the most likely candidate to find some success, and the naturally large media contingent will be there to cover it.

Drag Racing isn't as big (we all know that), and female success is common place. Bottom line, it's no big deal anymore. The media cannot be bothered.

Sadly Joe, I would have to agree with that. There are a few good mainstream press stories out there this weekend but once again its limited to the geographic area where the race is at. Running the race the same weekend as Daytona is foolish from a press standpoint.

Running the race the same weekend as Daytona is foolish from a press standpoint.

That is true Rich, but it could help with putting butts in the seats, at least for Friday qualifying. Alot of schools have tomorrow (Friday) and Monday off here for President's Day.

Very good chance that was one of the deciding factors NHRA used to start the season on this weekend. If they did, and this weather remains as perfect as it is right now (I'm 12 miles from the track) then this will be a great start for their 2010 season.

As far as the Danica/Ashley debate...apples and oranges. (no pun intended!)

This comparison will never end; and unfortunately, drag racing will simply never win the battle. It will be interesting, to see how both DP and her competitors handle it if and when she gets into or causes a major wreck in stock car racing. I'm sure she's been in hot water in the open wheel cars - but the stock car scene might not be so kind to her if she's the one on the hotseat. Compare that to AF, who by what I have seen (and keep in mind I don't follow Ashley's career that much) .... has proved that she can run these funny cars and beat anybody out there, and she's proven her driving skills on more than one occaision already.

Sadly Joe, I would have to agree with that. There are a few good mainstream press stories out there this weekend but once again its limited to the geographic area where the race is at. Running the race the same weekend as Daytona is foolish from a press standpoint.

Don't forget, the Olympic Winter Games start this weekend as well..........

This comparison will never end; and unfortunately, drag racing will simply never win the battle. It will be interesting, to see how both DP and her competitors handle it if and when she gets into or causes a major wreck in stock car racing. I'm sure she's been in hot water in the open wheel cars - but the stock car scene might not be so kind to her if she's the one on the hotseat. Compare that to AF, who by what I have seen (and keep in mind I don't follow Ashley's career that much) .... has proved that she can run these funny cars and beat anybody out there, and she's proven her driving skills on more than one occaision already.

It's like the NY Mets & The NY Yankees, the Mets will ALWAYS be second Fiddle to the Yankees. Even if they started a dynasty winning 3 or 4 championships, the Yankees are "America's Team". This is coming from a Met Fan.

It's easy to see why.

NASCAR is the 800 lb gorilla in motorsports, and female success has been zilch, zero, non existent. Danica is the most likely candidate to find some success, and the naturally large media contingent will be there to cover it.

Drag Racing isn't as big (we all know that), and female success is common place. Bottom line, it's no big deal anymore. The media cannot be bothered.

Thing is even when Shirley Muldowney was winning championships, the media didn't pay much attention! Heart like a wheel while a great movie wasn't a blockbuster!

This stat really opened my eyes.

1,062,000 households watch the ARCA race in 2009.

1,723,000 households with a peak of 1,997,000 watched in 2010

Damn near double, and only for one reason.

I doubt that huge jump was to catch the debut of Milka Duno :D

Last edited:
Like everyone said its sad but Nascar is the 800lb Gorilla. But, and its a big BUT, the NHRA could do it as well, NASCAR shows their races live with crashes wrecks major rain delays, why cant or it is why doesnt the NHRA do it, dont tell me its money because that is BS. And one thing that pisses me off is how does a racer sell a marketing program to a potential company when he tells them we are tape delayed but could be bumped for little league baseball. Its pure BS and if the NHRA does not do something about soon drag racing is going to keep dropping to the bottom. Even road racing, indy and some nascar minor league divisions have live racing.

Back to the topic, i think Ashley and Danica should have a bikini contest for charity!!! They are both hot and can wheel some fast cars.

What's amazing is that what has Danica ever really accomplished? She has one victory under her belt, not much else. Quite frankly, Ashely's resume is already stronger than Danica's but nobody hears about it except Drag fans. Danica is everywhere. She announces this week that the Nationwide race at Daytona is a go ... ESPN's is using her picture for the TV ad of Saturday's broadcast. Gotta wonder how that makes all of the loyal Nationwide drivers feel who suddenly got pushed further back into the crowd. First by Cup drivers crossing over and now by an unproven new entity in Stock car racing.

My guess though, is that if she struggles in NASCAR ... she may just quietly fade away. Could be a last chance for her to become a "race car driver" instead of just another pretty female Marketing machine who happens to drive a race car.

It's like the NY Mets & The NY Yankees, the Mets will ALWAYS be second Fiddle to the Yankees. Even if they started a dynasty winning 3 or 4 championships, the Yankees are "America's Team". This is coming from a Met Fan.

Good to see another Mets fan on here :)

What's amazing is that what has Danica ever really accomplished? She has one victory under her belt, not much else. Quite frankly, Ashely's resume is already stronger than Danica's but nobody hears about it except Drag fans. Danica is everywhere. She announces this week that the Nationwide race at Daytona is a go ... ESPN's is using her picture for the TV ad of Saturday's broadcast. Gotta wonder how that makes all of the loyal Nationwide drivers feel who suddenly got pushed further back into the crowd. First by Cup drivers crossing over and now by an unproven new entity in Stock car racing.

My guess though, is that if she struggles in NASCAR ... she may just quietly fade away. Could be a last chance for her to become a "race car driver" instead of just another pretty female Marketing machine who happens to drive a race car.

I have been following Danica's career since her Formula Vauxhall days and while she has always done OK she hasn't done anything on the track that would get most people the level of exposure she has received. She also hasn't IMHO shown much improvement over the years. If the nationwide races are anything like the arca race was and the hype doesn't fade away I probably will stop watching any nationwide races she is in.

Ashley on the other hand has really impressed me with how far her driving has come in the last couple of years.

I heartily agree. I'll add that Ashley is a composed, unselfish young lady. Danica is none of those things. Her bad girl persona may have enhanced her media exposure (yes, I know that's a double entendre) but it leaves me cold. Ashley will be driving competitively when Danica joins Tonya Harding on a long list of forgettable sports figures.
Cheers,
Ed
Rocky Mountain Superchargers

I heartily agree. I'll add that Ashley is a composed, unselfish young lady. Danica is none of those things. Her bad girl persona may have enhanced her media exposure (yes, I know that's a double entendre) but it leaves me cold. Ashley will be driving competitively when Danica joins Tonya Harding on a long list of forgettable sports figures.
Cheers,
Ed
Rocky Mountain Superchargers

Now that we can all agree!;)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back