Record crowds at Martin! (1 Viewer)

it was packed.

I just wish they didn't make you pay while in your car as you come in. That leads to longer traffic lines. Let people in and park then have them pay. It would really ease the traffic lines. Plus you could have more ticket counters in less space

We got there about 11am and had no problem at all....man did that place fill up!

I just called the track and they don't have any numbers yet...I will keep an eye out for when they do put it out. The track staff did an awesome job considering they were so overwhelmed.

I'm interested to know, I'd like to see how it compared to Edmonton where they had 41,000 people throughout the weekend.

Just remember tracks love to inflate attendance numbers! NHRA quit announcing attendance numbers once they started running at Bruton Smith tracks. One well known Drag racing columnist told me back in the 90's at the Texas motorplex he saw both Dallas Gardner and Phil Burgess looking out of the tower at the crowds. Discussing what they should tell the media the weekend attendance was...........:eek:

Last edited:
John, thank you for your comments. Although IHRA does not release attendance figures, we can tell you it was the largest in car count (670 cars) and attendance ever.
Thank you for your e-mail; we will see you next year.
Jim Marchyshyn Vice President of Marketing........:eek:

It sure seems strange to me that they won't release the numbers....then again the PR game still baffles many drag racing organizations.

The reason they won't announce crowd figures is fully covered in the message above yours - nobody believes them anyway.

The reason they won't announce crowd figures is fully covered in the message above yours - nobody believes them anyway.
The problem is that IHRA always released REAL numbers -

I would see numbers from other folks and go.... huh?? I've been to sporting events that have 100,000 + people - drag racing has never seen one in my life time... no matter the affiliation.

The problem is that IHRA always released REAL numbers -

I would see numbers from other folks and go.... huh?? I've been to sporting events that have 100,000 + people - drag racing has never seen one in my life time... no matter the affiliation.

Go to Gainesville Jim, just may change your mind! I've been to Indy 13 times, Dallas 15 times, and Pomona about 20. The fans at G-ville fans are the most insane I've ever seen! Traffic lines form at 8 on Fri-Sat and 7AM on Sunday!

Go to Gainesville Jim, just may change your mind! I've been to Indy 13 times, Dallas 15 times, and Pomona about 20. The fans at G-ville fans are the most insane I've ever seen! Traffic lines form at 8 on Fri-Sat and 7AM on Sunday!

Been there done that... grew up in Florida, been to the Gator Nationals at least 1/2 dozen times. My favorite was watching Kenny B break the 300MPH mark and then watch Hill beat him in the finals.

Great track, great crowds, not 100,000

Been there done that... grew up in Florida, been to the Gator Nationals at least 1/2 dozen times. My favorite was watching Kenny B break the 300MPH mark and then watch Hill beat him in the finals.

I'm jealous you were there to see Kenny's barrier breaking run. I was fortunate enough to be at E-Town for the second 300 mph pass.

I'm jealous you were there to see Kenny's barrier breaking run. I was fortunate enough to be at E-Town for the second 300 mph pass.
It was special for me.... one of those moments in life where you say, where were you when...

It was a jaw dropping experience to see that 301.70MPH flash on the scoreboard. That same event, Eddie Hill won the event and set the ET record at the time at 4.80.

My other non race related memory was being at the Flutie "hail Mary" game when Boston College upset Miami. It was almost as amazing. 65,000 people went silent as officials raised thier hands for the TD. You could have heard a pin drop for about 5 seconds - then the BC faithful went wild.

I guess I should retire - it's hard to imagine being able to witness anything much better than those 2 events in a lifetime.

For the weekend I'l wager that! I do know the Stands ther hold 32,000 acording to a Track Employee. And the Standing Room is Horrendous.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back