Norwalk will have an NHRA natl. in '07! (1 Viewer)

Norwalk

The biggest problem at Norwalk is motel accomodations. There are only 3 motels in town and you have to travel at least 15 miles to the next closest ones at Sandusky.

The track itself is my second favorite, next to Bristol. It has a park like atmosphere and could be adapted very easily to NHRA standards. There is plenty of room for expansion. Already has plenty of seating and who can argue with a pound of ice cream for $1.00.

Would love to see this happen but will wait and see how it plays out.

The biggest problem at Norwalk is motel accomodations. There are only 3 motels in town and you have to travel at least 15 miles to the next closest ones at Sandusky.

The track itself is my second favorite, next to Bristol. It has a park like atmosphere and could be adapted very easily to NHRA standards. There is plenty of room for expansion. Already has plenty of seating and who can argue with a pound of ice cream for $1.00.

Check out Comp Plus next Tuesday.

I'm sure many of us have stayed at motels a lot farther than 15 miles from the racetrack. And they didn't have waterparks.:D

One issue with hotels is that during the prime summer months people heading to cedar point use A ton of those rooms. Prices are also jacked up during that time.

If a race were to be there I'd like to see it in Arpil/may or sept/oct. To avoid over hotel crowding.

and 15 miles away for a hotel thats great. I normally stay 30-40 minutes away just to be outside of the gouging prices belt

Norwalk

I've been to NRP a number of times, and there are more motels in the area than it might first appear. Yes, many rooms are gone because of Cedar Point, but I've also been there in the heart of the summer when the strip of hotels along the main road into Cedar Point are showing "Vacancy" signs.

What's a "fair" distance from a race track?

Racers and fans drive 25 miles or more to find rooms for Joliet when those in town are gone. Same thing with Denver.

We're not talking about a track and surrounding area like Brainerd, where rooms really are at a premium.

The inventive fan and racer will find acommodations within whatever he or she considers to be a reasonable distance. It all boils down to something as simple as, How badly do you want to see/compete in this race? The more you want it, the further you'll drive, or the more you'll pay.

I've never forgotten this one. Several years ago a racer was checking innto the hotel in Denver when the desk cleark ws overheard telling someone on the phone, "Yes, we have rooms available. They're $65 each."

The racer, who was about to pay $95 for the same room, asked the obvious question, Why am I paying so much?

"You're getting the racer rate."

The desk clerk was unintentionally confirming that they were screwing the racers.

Bob Frey had a similar experience with a rental car, overhearing the counter guy quoting a much lower price for the same car to another customer. He protested, to no avail, then cancelled his reservation and walked away from the counter. He returned three minutes later (same counter guy) and asked if cars were available. They were. What's the price? The lower one previously quoted to the other customer. Bob got his car, the counter guy was angry.

The key might be a serious search for the "right" room at the "right" price, so are you willing to dig?

Jon Asher

Yea.....I just got the "you can't reserve a room for 2 nights" call from a hotel near Ennis. They only accept 3 night reservations @$89/night. This is after I reserved the room more than a month ago @$69/night for 2 nights.:eek:

It never ceases to amaze me the uproar people get into when the OIL COMPANIES are involved in what appears to be price gouging.......yet price gouging goes on in broad daylight with a rub your nose in it attitude and no one says or does anything.:)

Just really giving information on the motel situation. I have also stayed 20-30 minutes away from the track. No big deal. Just pointing out about the only thing that might be a spectator problem.

I would still rather sleep on the trailer floor at Norwalk than have a room next door to Columbus.

I found that generally the 800 numbers or the discount travel sites aren't up on the weekly occurances in a town so they prices are generally lower.

Last year I went to C-bus very last minute stayed at a motel 6 for half the price people around me did. I went through a website they had all called directly

Yea.....I just got the "you can't reserve a room for 2 nights" call from a hotel near Ennis. They only accept 3 night reservations @$89/night. This is after I reserved the room more than a month ago @$69/night for 2 nights.:eek:

It never ceases to amaze me the uproar people get into when the OIL COMPANIES are involved in what appears to be price gouging.......yet price gouging goes on in broad daylight with a rub your nose in it attitude and no one says or does anything.:)

Mel, if you don't mind driving 35 miles out, the Motel 6 in Duncanville still has rooms for $35-40 per.

The rumor I've heard is that the Sportsnationals will be there next year. I know that the car count was disappointing at this year's sports at Columbus and the feeling is that the race being at Columbus really hurt the turnout. Also there were not many spectators. I bet there'll be both more spectators and more cars if the event is at Norwalk in the future-the Baders know how to promote.

Does anyone else think that maybe the NHRA is willing to overlook some of Norwalk's difficiencies in order to pull the IHRA's top track from it and hurt that organization which really seems to be growing by leaps and bounds. Throw in that Bill Bader seems to hold some sort of grudge against his old organization and associates, you have a real nice conspiracy. Hopefully, all this will lead to the necessary improvements to New York International Raceway Park so it can take Norwalk's place on the schedule due to its geography and the fact that it used to be the second biggest draw on the IHRA circuit.

Looks like I'll be booking a weeks vacation for this race, Ohio in July, nothing better, stay a cottage or condo at Gem Beach, go to Cedar Point (one of THE best amusment parks in the World, It makes Six Flags in Arlington look like a circus) go to Put-in Bay on South Bass Island, The Drag Race at NRP, wow this is gonna be fun. I grew up there in the seventies, Port Clinton, Sandusky, Norwalk, these were my stomping grounds in the summer.

How far is Norwalk from C-Bus? Never been to either, but I've heard nothing good about C-bus. Maybe NHRA's planning to dump it?

Yea Joe, I've been to Columbus, it sucked! If you didn't sit above row 13 in the stands you could not see the car in the near lane. If you had to stand at the fence line, all you saw were the tops of the cars going down the track. I too wonder if this rumor holds up about Norwalk, how will it effect the Columbus race, since the NHRA owns the Columbus track. The NHRA needs to dump some money into Columbus, like new stands with backs on them and angle them away from the track like Bristol, raise those new stands up in the air about 12 feet and put vendors under them. They also need to add a Top Eliminator Club to Columbus.

Geez , I think the bigger new is this: ..."in another shocking move the traditional NHRA national event held at National Trail Raceway in May for some 30 odd years (first race in 1972) will cease to be"
Norwalk doesn`t have the space for a race this size.

Take my word for it, forget what you're reading on other web sites.* Much of what they're posting is wildly inaccurate.* (I know, because I've planted hidden microphones in the offices of everyone involved in this situation!*) *:D

As I posted earlier, check Competitionplus.com Tuesday and you'll get the complete, accurate story and your questions about hotel rooms, NHRA and the Night Under Fire will all be answered, in detail.

Trust me, those microphones have picked up EVERYTHING !?! :) :p ;)

Seriously, check out CompPlus on Tuesday.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back