Norwalk will have an NHRA natl. in '07! (1 Viewer)

Jackee hit on one real problem with Norwalk - the track competes with the weekend crowd at Cedar Point for hotel rooms since most of the hotel rooms are in Sandusky (so are most of the restaurants).

The right-side stands are pretty close, the left-side stands set well back. Both have substantial standing room in front of them and are elevated so you can see over the standees. The reason they look so close is because they are so big.

The front of the original grandstand was about halfway between the current fence and the concrete guardwall. The old fence was about 10 ft. in front of that.:eek: Unsafe but we loved it. I remember ducking for cover when somebody would get sideways, like that would have helped.

There's an Norwalk/NHRA press conference tomorrow (Tuesday) at 11 a.m. - Norwalk Raceway park will unveil a multi-million dollar track expansion program (covering many of the facilities areas I pointed out as shortcomings from NHRA's national event perspective a few weeks ago) including a "state-of-the-art" media center" and "luxury suites." They also "will make an announcement regarding the National Hot Rod Association (NHRA)."

Norwalk lovers be advised - some of the upcoming changes may affect the character of the track in ways you will not like. Things like acres of neatly maintained grass areas and inside-the-pits camping spaces will probably go the way of the Dodo Bird and be replaced by acres of asphalt in the Pro pit area. It's one price of "progress."

I kind of like the place the way it is - it's more like "real race tracks" back in the "good old days of drag racing." you know, stuff like grass and trees and such, combined with nice spectator facilities and a fan-friendly attitude.

- Larry

Norwalk lovers be advised - some of the upcoming changes may affect the character of the track in ways you will not like. Things like acres of neatly maintained grass areas and inside-the-pits camping spaces will probably go the way of the Dodo Bird and be replaced by acres of asphalt in the Pro pit area. It's one price of "progress."

I kind of like the place the way it is - it's more like "real race tracks" back in the "good old days of drag racing." you know, stuff like grass and trees and such, combined with nice spectator facilities and a fan-friendly attitude.

- Larry

Larry don't be so quick to assume NHRA will mandate anything. It Took selling the facility rights to O'reilly to get any Pit facility upgrades at IRP done!

It Took selling the facility rights to O'reilly to get any Pit facility upgrades at IRP done!

And AAA of Southern California involvement to get our Luxury Boxes at Pomona!
bravo.gif

Whoops

check out ihra.com , seems they wanted to get it out in the open first! the weird thing about this is the fact that druzilla sold the pro stock operation because mansfield speedway was in trouble from the hurricane that tore it up. now he is adding a state of the art dragstrip for ihra, whats up with this story line?

Last edited:
the weird thing about this is the fact that druzilla sold the pro stock operation because mansfield speedway was in trouble from the hurricane that tore it up. now he is adding a state of the art dragstrip for ihra, whats up with this story line?

I thought the story was that he sold the pro stock team because he needed money to fix the track. If that was the case, maybe he is juts looking for something new.

Jim

BTW, Bruce, stop up and say hi at E'Town next week if you are there.

Jim

I was wrong. It has happened before, and I'm pretty sure it will happen again. Feel free to laugh at me, stick out yours tonque or whatever else you want to do.

Alan

I was wrong. It has happened before, and I'm pretty sure it will happen again. Feel free to laugh at me, stick out yours tonque or whatever else you want to do.

Alan
Guys, be carefull here, I understand Alan has a very large tonque collection!
(whatever that is)

OK, now that the suspense is over, what airport do I fly into to have the shortest drive to the track? I've always wanted to hit Cedar Point now with national event in the area it would be an uber trip:D .
S/F
D

Alan's Promise

I recall a few threads ago that Alan agreed to eat crow. Don't actually want him to do that but would be happy with a new CD trade for rain delay.

I have that one memorized and know what order the songs are coming down.

I will be glad to make some and send them if you will pass them along.

Alan, you're going to love Norwalk.

OK, now that the suspense is over, what airport do I fly into to have the shortest drive to the track? I've always wanted to hit Cedar Point now with national event in the area it would be an uber trip:D .
S/F
D

If you're flying yourself, the Huron County Airport is about 100 yards from the track. Scott Kalitta saw it up close this past weekend. Commercial airline would be to Cleveland Hopkins, about 45 minutes from the track.

If you're flying yourself, the Huron County Airport is about 100 yards from the track. Scott Kalitta saw it up close this past weekend. Commercial airline would be to Cleveland Hopkins, about 45 minutes from the track.

Cleaveland it is, thanx for the gouge.
S/F
D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back