PRITCHETT FINED $10,000 BY NHRA (1 Viewer)

Wasn't that in one of the Competition Plus War stories some years back?
And if memory serves me correctly, the driver committee hearing the "case" consisted of Raymond Beadle and Richard Tharp. Pretty funny story best I remember.

Back in the early 1970's at Irwindale Raceway one night I saw a rental car speeding through the pits. They were running funny cars, pro stockers, etc., that night. It went around a corner, caught the handle of a floor jack with a race car up the the air and knocked it off the jack and kept going. They circled around and came back the same direction, and the guy who owned the car that got knocked off the floor jack grabbed the jack handled, cut through the pits and went after them. He ended up stuffing the jack handle through the back window of the rental car when it went sailing by. Many years later I was telling Steve Plueger about it, and he said he was riding in that rental car, and it was Billy Meyer wo was driving it.
I bet we could start an entire thread on drag racers and rental cars.

Wasn't that in one of the Competition Plus War stories some years back?

Probably was. Billy Meyers' competition license was suspended. Dave Kommel posted this on my FB page: " It was Bllly and the Division 7 drivers commission suspended his license leading to a couple of more funny stories. Heard it directly from Billy early one morning in the Motorplex press room a few years ago. "

I told Dave to tell Billy next time he sees him, that 40+ years later he found an eye witness. LOL

Last edited:
Probably was. Billy Williams' competition license was suspended. Dave Kommel posted this on my FB page: " It was Bllly and the Division 7 drivers commission suspended his license leading to a couple of more funny stories. Heard it directly from Billy early one morning in the Motorplex press room a few years ago. "

I told Dave to tell Billy next time he sees him, that 40+ years later he found an eye witness. LOL
Billy sorry to say passed about ten years ago-RIP Billy

That's insane. Would sure like to know the facts. So, was this "excessive speed" just an opinion of someone? Like, eyeballed by the lady selling T-shirts and keychains at the souvineer trailer? Clocked and stopped by the GPD? Was a city traffic citation given? City fine? Or did she zoom past one of the NHRA big wigs and they're flexing thier muscle, making an example out of her? Hit somebody or something? I'm all for safety everyone abiding by all the rules. If it's that serious I would think NHRA would step out of it and let GPD handle it. If they want to police the racetrack and competitors, it sure seems like there's other things going on out there that could be called out too.

None of us have the facts. It's the NHRA's game and clearly if they think she was acting unsafely they are going to do what they think they need to do. We are hearing nothing from her complaining about what happened .... punishment may have been tough relative to her paycheck, but I'm guessing a number of people will pay attention and consider the impacts of their actions. At the divisional at No Problem a few weeks back we watched a guy on a golf cart literally mow over the track owner who was running the front of the lanes during pre race testing. The guy on the golf cart was talking on his phone and looking about 90 degree off of where here was driving .... the track owner was much nicer than I would have been to that person. I'm sure he regretted what he did, but I bet Leah regretted her actions more after the fine. Which she is likely only going to ultimately voluntarily pay (but if she doesn't she won't be welcome at an NHRA track again).

So if she would have hit someone and hurt or killed them, none of us would say "that's insane" ... but if she was acting reckless, and we clearly don't know that she wasn't, then seems like we should respect the action. I'm guessing she wasn't stupid enough to lie about it when she likely got called into the hauler to confirm her version of the account ... she doesn't have much to fall back on without the NHRA.

I absolutely love Leah, but, if there was a chance she could have harmed someone................

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back