Leah Pritchett deal? (1 Viewer)

please.....bigger, bolder, get logo to POP on the side of dragster.....IMO the only photo i've seen of it yet is weak......you can do better.
......(logo) + PAPA JOHNS down 2/3 the side.....1/3 left for other dsr contributors.
black background with red/white large copy......read a 1/4 mile away.......ok, 1000' :rolleyes:
The logo could be bigger and better, but the gold scheme is an ode to John's Camaro.

Due to the Logo's design. I don't know how to make it anymore visible on the side of a dragster.
Like mentioned above the Gold color is homage to John's Z28. And he's writing the check.

Leah was out by the first round of racing, this cant be good if your campaigning for a full time deal. I've always felt when your tryin' to land a sponsorship deal, present it as a team offer. this way if u should depart the race early, than a team car, in a different class could continue to carry the banner a little longer in the race day. Lets say, if Leah threw a few of her dollars to The Nobile team, then the "Popa Johns' Logo woulda been visible through out the whole broadcast and since Nobile doesn't have a sponsor, I cant imagine it woulda taken very much cash to convince them to do it. If your the guy who decides whether or not to green light the funding and there is no signs of your car after the first 20 minutes of a 3 hr broadcast than u cant be very impressed.

I don't think many programs are built around how many rounds you're expected to go. Seems like the Papa John's deal has gotten a lot of buzz since even before being officially announced.

Due to the Logo's design. I don't know how to make it anymore visible on the side of a dragster.
Like mentioned above the Gold color is homage to John's Z28. And he's writing the check.

That gold is horrible. Unless it's just the pictures, the color of the yellow is too "Guldens brown" for me. It may just be that the pictures don't do it justice.

The car would have looked fantastic if those colors were reversed.

remember when kalitta' car was red and 'mac tools' was spelled out horizontally down side of dragster?....plus mac has their most
recognizable logo with radius top of 'mac' (they have different versions of their logo and have used both on the TF'r.....just sayin'.

Leah was out by the first round of racing, this cant be good if your campaigning for a full time deal. I've always felt when your tryin' to land a sponsorship deal, present it as a team offer. this way if u should depart the race early, than a team car, in a different class could continue to carry the banner a little longer in the race day. Lets say, if Leah threw a few of her dollars to The Nobile team, then the "Popa Johns' Logo woulda been visible through out the whole broadcast and since Nobile doesn't have a sponsor, I cant imagine it woulda taken very much cash to convince them to do it. If your the guy who decides whether or not to green light the funding and there is no signs of your car after the first 20 minutes of a 3 hr broadcast than u cant be very impressed.
Pretty sure that Papa John's logos are on all DSR cars, he always cross promotes his sponsors.

True, but this is kinda an audition phase of a potential sponsorship and if Leah should exit early on her next 'Popa John' race, than a PSC or PSM with the sponsor prominently displayed, wouldn't hurt the effort at all. I understand not as many eyes are on the Bike/Car classes as the nitro cars, but if a car/bike goes deep into eliminations on race day, they will garner more TV time than a TF loosing first round and something is better than nothing. I look at it as a kind of an insurance policy for getting some exposure

True, but this is kinda an audition phase of a potential sponsorship and if Leah should exit early on her next 'Popa John' race, than a PSC or PSM with the sponsor prominently displayed, wouldn't hurt the effort at all. I understand not as many eyes are on the Bike/Car classes as the nitro cars, but if a car/bike goes deep into eliminations on race day, they will garner more TV time than a TF loosing first round and something is better than nothing. I look at it as a kind of an insurance policy for getting some exposure

James,
Your theory is great but here's how a sponsor and a competitor would look at. Using round numbers, if the deal is worth $100 and you kick $10 to Pro Stock Driver X:

The sponsor thinks he's paying you too much if you have spare cash to distribute to another team.
What if the sponsor has a deal with Ford for company cars and now you put their name on a Camaro?
Or if you involve a Motorcycle team and the sponsors brother was paralyzed in a motorcycle accident? Maybe he hates them. You better check.
If Driver X gets more results then you, they would either want more $ from you or go to said sponsor and make a pitch.
Does Driver X put the logo in the $100 space on the door? Or the $10 space on fender?
Does Driver X get his own promo code to track, or does he have to pitch Leah25 in his interview?
Does the sponsor expect top billing? Even though Driver X is still spending more of his own money?
Is Driver X now expected to make appearances for sponsor when in town?
Does Driver X now have to get new uniforms, firesuits, handout cards, press kits, and change the design on the car and hauler? Who pays for that?

What about liability? Do you know how much insurance a team has to have to cover that sponsor? Because if a race hauler is involved in an accident with company logo on the side, the company is drug into the issue. If Driver X doesn't have that then you have a problem.

That's just to start, there is SO much that goes into making a deal work, you really can't just decide to spread it around without going through all the possibilities. I guarantee that DSR went through a tremendous process and had communication with every other sponsor they have before ever even thinking about what the car might look like.

This game ain't as easy as just kicking a few buck to another car.

Alan

Last edited:
James,
Your theory is great but here's how a sponsor and a competitor would look at. Using round numbers, if the deal is worth $100 and you kick $10 to Pro Stock Driver X:

The sponsor thinks he's paying you too much if you have spare cash to distribute to another team.
What if the sponsor has a deal with Ford for company cars and now you put their name on a Camaro?
Or if you involve a Motorcycle team and the sponsors brother was paralyzed in a motorcycle accident? Maybe he hates them. You better check.
If Driver X gets more results then you, they would either want more $ from you or go to said sponsor and make a pitch.
Does Driver X put the logo in the $100 space on the door? Or the $10 space on fender?
Does Driver X get his own promo code to track, or does he have to pitch Leah25 in his interview?
Does the sponsor expect top billing? Even though Driver X is still spending more of his own money?
Is Driver X now expected to make appearances for sponsor when in town?
Does Driver X now have to get new uniforms, firesuits, handout cards, press kits, and change the design on the car and hauler? Who pays for that?

What about liability? Do you know how much insurance a team has to have to cover that sponsor? Because if a race hauler is involved in an accident with company logo on the side, the company is drug into the issue. If Driver X doesn't have that then you have a problem.

That's just to start, there is SO much that goes into making a deal work, you really can't just decide to spread it around without going through all the possibilities. I guarantee that DSR went through a tremendous process and had communication with every other sponsor they have before ever even thinking about what the car might look like.

This game ain't as easy as just kicking a few buck to another car.

Alan
Mr. R I think some of your points are 'splitting hairs'

'Driver X's only option is take what I give him or pay for it himself

lets face it major sponsorship is all but non existent in the pro stock class and has been for the last decade and while a team with an unlimited budget like KB or Gray might spit in your face if u presented them with such a deal, a team on a limited budget wouldn't scoff at playing the roll of 'supplementary car' for a nitro team in exchange for some financial help.

And what "Limited budget team" would you count on to go rounds on Sunday?
I realize that Aaron Strong did last week, but before Sunday he had never won a round, so to say you would have picked him would sound a lot like 20-20 hindsight.

And if you really don't think anything else I wrote is on point then I'm guessing you don't deal with sponsors regularly. Because every thing I referred to, I have had conversations about with a sponsor at some point.
Alan

James, you missed the point. You can't just take sponsor money and randomly go spread a few bucks around to different cars as a hedge in case you go out early. Any deal of substance is usually a result of a lot of work, some of that on the legal side. As I posted before, sponsors know that while everyone wants to hitch to a winner, that can't be predicted. How many big dollar sponsors are on the sides of NASCAR and Indy cars that are toast after a first lap pile-up? Never to be seen until the next event? That's why sponsor activation off the track is also a key to the success of a marketing partnership.

what beef jerky you gonna' buy: oberto.....what c-store you like: circle K.....what rags you gonna' buy: grimeboss
what drink you gonna' try: alo......what lemonade you gonna' buy: huberts.....what nostalgia parts company: mooneyes
what craft beer company: tap it ........where you gonna' get your hair cut: great clips......what dog food brand you gonna' buy: candidae
what filter kit you gonna' buy: k&n.......what was your favorite former nude magazine:rolleyes:: penthouse

not in the winner's circle much over the years; (tap it) was the only company i couldn't remember off the top of my head.
winning definitely is not everything......i remember these sponsors just as easily as any on the top dollar cars.

I'm baffled as to how this is viewed as a bad thing. First of all u wouldn't be viewed as 'spreading your funding around' if your initial proposal, up front, was a team effort instead of one nitro car. Secondly, using Strong is a bad example as he is beginner and only runs part time. Look up and down the starting lineup in PSC/PSB, there are at least 10 names, In each category that are full time/no sponsor and yet remain competitive. And no I don't know anything about securing sponsors but I have noticed countless 'one and done' sponsors over the years. Alan what's your best guess as to Why so many opt out ?? Bottom line is what's going on now is not working very well if u consider, well less than half of the 48 pro's have a full deal, that is not result of a B to B agreement or self sponsorship!

James,
I'm not saying that it's necessarily a bad thing. I'm saying that if you as the racer (In this case Leah) were to decide to spread the funding around, you better make sure that the sponsor is on board before you do. You could create a HUGE headache for yourself otherwise.

Here's a prime example, let's say hypothetically there is a married couple that both race in different venues, how cool would it be for them to swap cars sometime?
Just go to a track where they could take a turn seeing what the other does on the weekends. What could possibly be wrong with that?

The issue is that they drive for two different manufacturers one of which said, "Sounds Awesome, Let's do it!" The other one said "If my driver gets in that car, it's breech of contract"
So it never happened.

The ROI has not been where it needs to be the last few years, that is changing now. The sport needed more exposure to make the investment worthwhile. The exposure is much better now than even a year ago, and companies are beginning to take another look. We didn't get here overnight and it's not going to get fixed overnight. But we are miles ahead of where we were even 6 months ago.
Alan

I'm baffled as to how this is viewed as a bad thing. First of all u wouldn't be viewed as 'spreading your funding around' if your initial proposal, up front, was a team effort instead of one nitro car. Secondly, using Strong is a bad example as he is beginner and only runs part time. Look up and down the starting lineup in PSC/PSB, there are at least 10 names, In each category that are full time/no sponsor and yet remain competitive. And no I don't know anything about securing sponsors but I have noticed countless 'one and done' sponsors over the years. Alan what's your best guess as to Why so many opt out ?? Bottom line is what's going on now is not working very well if u consider, well less than half of the 48 pro's have a full deal, that is not result of a B to B agreement or self sponsorship!

A lot of it is the fact that companies don't have the same marketing budgets they used to and they look for maximum ROI on their marketing dollars. In the online world we live in today, companies shell out for preferential ad placement on feeds and search results, spend on product placement as well as still manage some more traditional advertising campaigns. Racers are typically begging for any spare change left in the budget unless the Executives/BOD are gear heads.

Racers have had to adapt as well as the companies. Now racers who look to have partners in at least some of their expenses are putting together smaller deals in quantity to help keep their programs running for a full season. It is a rare thing these days in all of motorsports to have a primary sponsor for an entire season. Some racers tho don't necessarily need the funding are probably willing to keep the colors on the car all season, even for what would typically be considered a part time deal. Sponsors opt-out for a variety of reasons, first one being change of executive leadership. Second, a crap economy = no money to spend. Third - Conflicts. Sponsorship isn't just about performance, it is all about presentation and ROI, which is why the bigger teams that already seem like they have enough funding usually get more, because they can offer more(Hospitality areas at races, facility tours, full time drivers that can make appearances, cross promotion across several cars). Performance certainly helps your visibility, but visibility is nothing without leaving an impression.

Alan already did a great job of explaining why you don't "spread the wealth." Already hard enough to put a working deal together, and if the sponsor wanted to be on that car too, the sponsor would have approached them as well. I will add one more scenario for your brain to chew on.. When you sign your sponsorship deal, you agree to X amount of dollars paid over X amount of time for X amount of advertising space/hospitality seats/tickets/appearances/promotional material for X amount of races. So let's say it was a full season deal, start to finish. You get to the last two races of the season but your team is broke, you don't have the cash to go race the last two races. Now you have to explain to the sponsor why they aren't getting the exposure you promised them at the beginning of the season.... If there is an acceptable answer, it certainly wouldn't be "We don't have the funds."
"Why don't you have funds? We paid you, you agreed."
"Oh, I thought I'd help your exposure level by helping another car out with some of the money you gave to us."
"That's your problem, not our problem. You're breaking our agreement, our attorneys will be in touch."

Misappropriation of sponsorship dollars is one of the quickest ways to lose sponsors, not only for yourself, but build a bad reputation for the sport. They aren't there to finance your extravagant shops, new boat, new house, etc.. In other words, sponsorship dollars aren't discretionary income for you to do with what you will.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back