2023 Schedule Shakeup and Rt. 66 Update (2 Viewers)

hold the baby gators the same weekend the gators usualy run. bump up the gators one week, so sportsman racers can leave their rigs parked at track
brandenton and orlando can host special events and/or testing prior to gators. drag racing month in FL. ...... gainesville could even host a pro test and tune session
monday-wednesday following the div.

The biggest problem is if they ran Pomona, Phoenix and Vegas back to back to back is that the Vegas race would be either directly in conflict with the NASCAR race or sandwiched a week before or after. If that wasn't the case it probably would already be scheduled that way.

The only way it could feasibily work is if you started the Winternationals the first week in February then ran Vegas and then Phoenix although you run the risk of adverse weather for one if not multiple events.

I understand the logistics when putting the schedule together and trying to maximize your potential income/attendance, but if they want to keep lower or unfunded teams coming to the races and to help lower the most expensive part of running these pro cars....you have to be smart about how you schedule these races.
Maybe move the spring 4-wide in Vegas, if it conflicts with the Cup race?

Start in Pomona, Phoenix, Gainesville and stay east of the Mississippi until the western swing, WHERE you can add the Vegas 4 wide after Denver? Denver, Vegas, Sonoma, Seattle....not a 4 race swing but in that order?

Possible schedule:
Pomona
Phoenix
Gainesville
Charlotte (4-wide)
Virginia
Bristol
Epping
Norwalk
Denver
Vegas (4-wide)
Sonoma
Seattle
Brainerd
Indy
Reading
Charlotte
St. Louis
Topeka
Dallas
Vegas
Pomona

Start at "A"

1656686713658.png
this came out to around 15K miles of travel for the teams, as compared to over 30K in 2021.

Maybe I'm just trying to apply logic again :)

Last edited:
Looks good on paper, but the teams go back home regularly, you don't just leave Indy and stay out until the US Nationals.

And did you consider other things that might be going on in the market when you have us scheduled? There is far more that goes into the scheduling of events other than saving diesel fuel.

Also, Las Vegas in July? That's never going to happen. Just checked the 10 day forecast for Las Vegas. 100 degrees is the coolest day.

Alan

If they test in Phoenix & Vegas now, why not Pomona, Phoenix, Vegas...then come to Gainesville and stay east of the Mississippi until the western swing?
The problem with all that isn't necessarily what the NHRA, or the tracks, or the racers, would like to do - it's all the variables regarding weather, television scheduling and competing sporting events. I'm glad I'm not the one who has to figure it all out. Of course it would make sense to gradually move from east to west, or vice versa, as the season progresses but since I'm pretty certain I'm not the first one to come up with that idea, there must be other reasons why it's not done that way.

Looks good on paper, but the teams go back home regularly, you don't just leave Indy and stay out until the US Nationals.

And did you consider other things that might be going on in the market when you have us scheduled? There is far more that goes into the scheduling of events other than saving diesel fuel.

Also, Las Vegas in July? That's never going to happen. Just checked the 10 day forecast for Las Vegas. 100 degrees is the coolest day.

Alan
I did say I know other factors/logistics (i.e., statistical weather, other venues, etc.) that play into scheduling :)

The only real change is not going Gainesville to Vegas early...other than that the schedule stays roughly the same, so reloading back at the shop shouldn't be an issue.

Maybe make the July Vegas race an evening only event...under the lights in the City of Lights

The biggest problem is if they ran Pomona, Phoenix and Vegas back to back to back is that the Vegas race would be either directly in conflict with the NASCAR race or sandwiched a week before or after. If that wasn't the case it probably would already be scheduled that way.

The only way it could feasibily work is if you started the Winternationals the first week in February then ran Vegas and then Phoenix although you run the risk of adverse weather for one if not multiple events.
It would also be serving mostly the same customer base. They are not that far apart and Vegas in reality counts on people from somewhere else.

Pete,

Not arguing, just discussing. You have to be careful scheduling events geographically close together too close on the calendar. As Roger points out, Vegas is a destination race, a large part of the crowd come to Vegas for the event. So if you put it back to back with Phoenix fans in Phoenix would likely choose one or the other. But if there's a month between them, they would be more likely to go to both. Pomona is even closer to Vegas.

That was proven clearly when they ran Houston and Dallas back to back for a couple of years. It hurt them both.

Topeka and St. Louis are a little over 300 miles apart. A fan in Kansas City could easily come to both, but if they are back to back they would certainly choose just one.

The forecast today for Las Vegas shows 90 degrees at 11 PM after a high of 106. The announcer booth is air conditioned, but the fans would probably not enjoy it....

Alan

Pete,

Not arguing, just discussing. You have to be careful scheduling events geographically close together too close on the calendar. As Roger points out, Vegas is a destination race, a large part of the crowd come to Vegas for the event. So if you put it back to back with Phoenix fans in Phoenix would likely choose one or the other. But if there's a month between them, they would be more likely to go to both. Pomona is even closer to Vegas.

That was proven clearly when they ran Houston and Dallas back to back for a couple of years. It hurt them both.

Topeka and St. Louis are a little over 300 miles apart. A fan in Kansas City could easily come to both, but if they are back to back they would certainly choose just one.

The forecast today for Las Vegas shows 90 degrees at 11 PM after a high of 106. The announcer booth is air conditioned, but the fans would probably not enjoy it....

Alan
I know Alan...just offering a discussion topic.

Phoenix & Vegas sometimes not too far apart as far as summer temps. Nite race would be cool, but not at 95 degrees. When Speedworld in Phx was still open, I usta go out there in summer nights, 105 when I got there, and was hot all night long. Just did it cuz I love going to the drags

Phoenix & Vegas sometimes not too far apart as far as summer temps. Nite race would be cool, but not at 95 degrees. When Speedworld in Phx was still open, I usta go out there in summer nights, 105 when I got there, and was hot all night long. Just did it cuz I love going to the drags
I loved that little track!

I for one like to see tracks only have one race weekend. Only track that should have two race dates is Pomona (Home of the NHRA). A great schedule consists of a vast variety of race tracks that meets today's world logistics. Weather it's the fancy track in Charlotte, to the beautiful setting in Brainerd, to the hometown tracks like Maple Grove and Norwalk. It be nice to have a schedule where one week your in Vegas and few weeks later your at a facility like Milan Dragway or Tulsa Raceway or even State Capitol Raceway. Grassroots race tracks right there. I like the big fancy racetracks, but I don't need to see them every week. NASCAR is now seeing that, and they are starting to change up their schedule. Truck Series racing at Indy Raceway Park again.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back