Schumacher fined 100,000 dollars (1 Viewer)

For a non profit organization, they certainly seem to care a whole lot more about companies that are lining their own pockets than the racers or the fans in the stands. Hell, IHRA is an admittedly for profit organization, funded by a racing fuels company, and they allow VP to pay contingency to their racers that chose to run that fuel. Maybe NHRA should pay more attention to prepping their track versus what stickers are on a barrel of fuel in the pits.

BOYCOTT! BOYCOTT! BOYCOTT!! BOYCOTT!! BOYCOTT!!

Step 1) Pick NHRA owned track

Step 2) Make sure sponsors know they will still be getting 23 events(like last year :))

Step 3) Put on poker face and be willing to go "ALL IN"

In 1981 all of the Nitro Funny Cars boycotted the CajunNationals in an effort to get the purses increased, it must have gotten their point across because they only sat out one race.

NHRA will end up having one huge egg on their face on this one. All that this is going to accomplish, is it will bring to light just how greedy NHRA really is!

You can pretty much count on that fine being appealed too, it will never stick.

This is black and white. The rulebook says; "Only nitromethane from an NHRA accepted supplier may be brought on site or used on site at any NHRA POWERade Drag Racing Series event". If DSR or anybody for that matter had fuel from somewhere else, they broke the rule.

Why is that so hard to understand?

Alan

As always this is my opinion, I am NOT speaking for NHRA, .

Yeah, well Alan, Wego is an approved source -- so if Schumacher purchased the fuel from them, wouldn't that be legal? By the rule book, Wego is an approved source and supplier. VP doesn't manufacture any nitromethane, so what's the difference? There is none.

Bobby... I think that Alan is saying Manufacturing the product and Supplying to racers is the key difference...

As Don said in the interview, he would have had to sell it to VP only to buy it back for an extra 500-600 dollars...

CJ Curtsinger

a couple of points.

First I see alot of post on this forum that depict Schumacher Racing as some sort of " Evil Empire". That is confusing since I have only seen Don do things to help Drag Racing. He is not doing this for the money and has won enough for a lifetime. He has been accused of getting special treatment but all I have seen is the opposite.

second

Even if technically there was a violation ( which has not been proven) The fine is like killing a lion with a hydrogen bomb. It does not fit the crime since it is a first time occurrence. If there had been a pattern or if it had been flagrant and dealt with before it would make sense. This is not reasonable even if there is guilt. This extreme punishment seems like there is something more, as in a personal attack by someone to get at this so-called " Evil Empire". This has just made "that person" seem obvious.

Right now NHRA is completely dependant on the Nitro classes. The nitro classes have been dependant on a small number of owners. ( one down and 3 or 4 to go). The day might be approaching where my Dad's question may have to be answered.
He said " I wonder how many people will pay to see the NHRA officials ride down the track in the saftey safari trucks". He said this because it seemed like they were trying to hurt the teams instead of helping them.

It is time they realize how important it is to help these teams not fleece them.

Mike

Last edited:
Don has said time and time again that he doesn't want to be in the nitro business and would just as soon to turn the process over to PRO. I got news for you, if it hadn't been for Schumacher, the racers would have been paying $1400 a barrell back in 2004. He challenged the raising of the price based on Homeland Security issues headed into Gainesville, the same ones raised in 2004, and the price dropped from 1250 to 1050 by the time everyone got to Vegas.

If Schumacher decides to go away, the racers will pay 2000 a barrell within a few seasons. Mark my words.

Ouch! $100K is lot of cash. Can't support that idea at all.

Nascar slaps penalties like that all the time......but I also think the teams get about 20 times the purse money to win than that of ahhhh.........Drag Racing.

Heck, Newman made $110K for taking 43rd last weekend in Phoenix.
He could've probably cheated, got fined and still brought home $10,000.00.

Hope they get it all worked out and everybody can leave with a smile on their faces. It ain't pretty, jmho.

Yeah, well Alan, Wego is an approved source -- so if Schumacher purchased the fuel from them, wouldn't that be legal? By the rule book, Wego is an approved source and supplier. VP doesn't manufacture any nitromethane, so what's the difference? There is none.

Bobby, your article below puts it all in a nut shell. Thank you

Torco Racing Fuel's Competition Plus.com - Drag Racing's Internet Magazine - AS WE SEE IT – A STRONG CASE OF INEPT TRACK PREP AND MORE

"Nascar slaps penalties like that all the time"

There's some big differences here, Nascar only levies big penalties like this when someone has done something that potentially affected a race outcome or led to a significant and clearly unfair advantage. That doesn't appear to be the case here at all.

In addition Nascar generally only issues huge fines like this after its been made very clear to the competitors that the particular infraction would not be tolerated. With the confusion surrounding the nature of this fine this doesn't seem to be the case either.

NHRA should have just gone to Don S. and asked him to remove the nitro from the pits, and told him that next time it happened there would be a substantial penalty. I guess its possible this is what did happen, but I doubt it.

Nascar at least is smart enough to realize that to the degree they can they need to treat the race teams like partners, not advisaries. NHRA really bumbled this one, what else is new.

Paul T.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back