NHRA error... (1 Viewer)

This whole thing begs a lot of questions:

- If the nitro had been brought to DSR on Monday there would be no issue, right? It wouldn't be "during an event" and was when the nitro was originally "on site" for a Vegas II test session last fall. Right?

- If someone ratted on DSR, did the NHRA check everyone for the same violation? Especially the rat?

- How does the fine get determined? $100k would put Gary Densham on the trailer for the rest of the year, no? Is it based on the resources of the team? That seems patently unfair.

- As someone just noted, it was already "on site", it just moved from one on site location to another. Is that a concern here?

- Was Pro an "approved supplier" last year (when the nitro was originally brought "on site"), but is not one this year? Is that some/all of the issue?

- How does NHRA "approve" suppliers? Who do they tell when they change the list of "approved suppliers"? Where's that list posted?

I'm neither a DSR apologist nor critic, but this thing is just really a mess.

It would be interesting to know how much nitro DSR teams were buying from authorized suppliers at the races compared to other fuel teams. If the rumors coming from the pro ranks ARE CORRECT it is about 25% of what other teams are buying per car per pass.

This whole thing begs a lot of questions:

- If the nitro had been brought to DSR on Monday there would be no issue, right? It wouldn't be "during an event" and was when the nitro was originally "on site" for a Vegas II test session last fall. Right?
That's the way I read it too.
- If someone ratted on DSR, did the NHRA check everyone for the same violation? Especially the rat?
I'm starting to think that there was warning before but it was not paid attention to.
- How does the fine get determined? $100k would put Gary Densham on the trailer for the rest of the year, no? Is it based on the resources of the team? That seems patently unfair.
The rulebook says that they could have been banned from the race which would have hurt points wise.
- As someone just noted, it was already "on site", it just moved from one on site location to another. Is that a concern here?
For me, having the fuel in the transporter is what was bad, they could have made arraignments with the track.
- Was Pro an "approved supplier" last year (when the nitro was originally brought "on site"), but is not one this year? Is that some/all of the issue?
I don't know about that but I don't think the same fuel sat for a year.
- How does NHRA "approve" suppliers? Who do they tell when they change the list of "approved suppliers"? Where's that list posted?
I don't know the process but the pros know who is and is not approved.
I'm neither a DSR apologist nor critic, but this thing is just really a mess.
I agree and I also think that there is a lot more to this than has been published.

On page 64, the 2008 NHRA Rule Book says: "Only nitromethane from an NHRA-accepted supplier may be brought on site or used on site at any NHRA POWERade Drag Racing Series event..."

What part of this do you not understand?... the fuel that was upstairs was legal.

"The nitromethane in the DSR pits was from an NHRA-accepted supplier; thus, DSR did not violate the NHRA regulation. Specifically, the nitro methane in question came from Wego. In fact, Wego purchased this nitromethane from Pro Nitro. You will recall that both you and Graham Light told Mr. Schumacher that Pro Nitro was also an NHRA-accepted supplier.

"NHRA amended its Rulebook on February 13, 2004. In doing so, NHRA stated as follows: "the accepted suppliers of NHRA nitro methane are DOW/Angus and Wego." After diligent research, DSR can find no subsequent amendment to the NHRA rulebook excluding Wego as an accepted supplier. Again, you personally indicated to Mr. Schumacher that Pro Nitro was also an accepted supplier of nitromethane to the NHRA."

Jim

Last edited:
Just one question then, why doesn't DSR use Pro Nitro as their fuel in national events?

The NHRA stated that DSR did not use illegal fuel at the event. The only reason for the fine were the barrels upstairs. What exactly is your point?

I have to tell you that this is very dangerous territory. The more people that perpetuate the feeling that DSR has used illegal fuels at events, no matter how idiotic the allegations, the more likely it is that Oakley will consider pulling out of racing all together. I am personally talking the owners of Oakley off the ledge.

Your unintelligent posting contributes to this mis-conception.

The facts are clear, yet you don't quite get it. The barrels of Pro Nitro were sold to Wego, who is an authorized supplier of nitro for the NHRA. And these are the barrels that were only there for testing on Monday. The NHRA had given Don verbal (forgotten) approval for these barrels. If they had been used during race day there should NOT have been a problem.

It appears that the NHRA "forgot" they had given Don approval. Mute point. Wego is an approved supplier.

Jim

Last edited:
Who says they do? The NHRA stated that DSR did not use illegal fuel at the event. The only reason for the fine were the barrels upstairs. What exactly is your point?

I have to tell you that this is very dangerous territory. The more people that perpetuate the feeling that DSR has used illegal fuels at events, no matter how idiotic the allegations, the more likely it is that Oakley will consider pulling out of racing all together. Your unintelligent posting contributes to this mis-conception.

The facts are clear, yet you don't quite get it. The barrels of Pro Nitro were sold to Wego, who is an authorized supplier of nitro for the NHRA.

Jim
You misinterpreted my question, if the fuel is legal, like you say it is, then there should be no reason for not using at national events, right?

And I see you would like to blame me if you pull out of racing, I guess somebody needs to be the fall guy so it might as well be me?

You'll probably get me banned, but, NHRA is still right.

You misinterpreted my question, if the fuel is legal, like you say it is, then there should be no reason for not using at national events, right?

And I see you would like to blame me if you pull out of racing, I guess somebody needs to be the fall guy so it might as well be me?

Paul... clearly I think you are misinformed and don't realize the impact of your insinuations. I don't own Oakley anymore. I am trying to explain to the new owners why this is not a reason to worry.

Jim

Paul... clearly I think you are misinformed and don't realize the impact of your insinuations. I don't own Oakley anymore. I am trying to explain to the new owners why this is not a reason to worry.

Jim
What insinuation did I make? What I have stated was I believe NHRA is correct, that's all.

Maybe you should go join, Light and Compton.... You'd fit right in!

What part of this do you not understand?... the fuel that was upstairs was legal.

Whoa, outta context. I was responding to someone who insinuated it was illegal in the pits, but OK to have it in the transporter. That's all. I was pointing out the rule says "on site". Period.

As my other post notes, there are a million questions here. I don't know who's right/wrong. The only thing I DO know is that it was incredibly poorly handled by NHRA.

I don't know about that but I don't think the same fuel sat for a year.

Woah! Now you're publicly questioning peoples' integrity? Do you have any REASONS for "thinking" that? That one and a "perfect" comment I saw earlier went right off the rails for me.

I bet the first three words of that sentence are the most correct. :D

There's someone else on this board who used to think they could start any sentence off with those words, then proceed to say anything about anyone they wanted to. :)

Made in China --> Sold Pro Nitro ---> Sold to WEGO (Relabeled) --> Sold to NHRA Teams (DSR).

Simple to ME. Based on the above timeline DSR gets to buy its own nitro (Pro Nitro) back with a different label on it for more money just to keep within the rules. Sounds crazy to me.

Don as stated he has the Homeland Security licenses for all the nitro he would like to own.

SO,As i see it, it comes down to a label on the drums.

Am i missing something or is this gettin way out of hand

Made in China --> Sold Pro Nitro ---> Sold to WEGO (Relabeled) --> Sold to NHRA Teams (DSR).

Simple to ME. Based on the above timeline DSR gets to buy its own nitro (Pro Nitro) back with a different label on it for more money just to keep within the rules. Sounds crazy to me.

Don as stated he has the Homeland Security licenses for all the nitro he would like to own.

SO,As i see it, it comes down to a label on the drums.

Am i missing something or is this gettin way out of hand

Getting? no already GOTTEN out of hand. DSR has proved that the nitro in question was in fact legal. And as far as Pauls question of why didn't DSR use Pro Nitro in the races, they probably did, but who really knows where the nitro came from once it is relabeled, it could have come from my backyard for all the racers know, :D and once it has the NHRA approved sticker on it, do they even care?

Getting? no already GOTTEN out of hand. DSR has proved that the nitro in question was in fact legal. And as far as Pauls question of why didn't DSR use Pro Nitro in the races, they probably did, but who really knows where the nitro came from once it is relabeled, it could have come from my backyard for all the racers know, :D and once it has the NHRA approved sticker on it, do they even care?

DSR has no more proved "that the nitro in question was in fact legal" than NHRA has proved that it was not. All anybody has is a bunch of statments mostly by people like me who don't know snot about the real situation and the few that do are giving only their side of the story.

The fact that DSR has made a statment does not mean that it answers all of NHRAs allegations nor does the mere fact that NHRA levied a fine mean that there was any wrong doing by DSR.

The only thing I can add is "Nothing is sometimes a good thing to do and always a good thing to say!" We would be wise to shut up before we make this worse and run sponsors off.

If fuel sits out of your sight in storage, even though it's not supposed to go bad, maybe you don't want to trust putting it in the cars at a national event.

DSR has no more proved "that the nitro in question was in fact legal" than NHRA has proved that it was not. All anybody has is a bunch of statments mostly by people like me who don't know snot about the real situation and the few that do are giving only their side of the story.

The fact that DSR has made a statment does not mean that it answers all of NHRAs allegations nor does the mere fact that NHRA levied a fine mean that there was any wrong doing by DSR.

The only thing I can add is "Nothing is sometimes a good thing to do and always a good thing to say!" We would be wise to shut up before we make this worse and run sponsors off.

I seriously doubt that DSR would make the following statement to NHRA and us unless it was the facts and he could back them up. See this post:

http://www.nitromater.com/nhra/14214-nitrogate-don-answers-11.html#post136094

I seriously doubt that we can make it worse, we all know that Glendale can't hear us out here, but I hope the sponsors do!!! I would hope that the sponsors see that we racers and fans are standing behind those we and they believe in and would be thankful that we are, because you can bet I will keep on using products that sponsor the NHRA, IHRA and drag racing as a whole.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back