Cheating... and I don't mean on your spouse (1 Viewer)

Engine covers with lead bags in the pockets, lead shag bags in the belly pan after a run, one world champion alcohol dragster racer that was running one legal diameter cylinder with large bores in the rest was caught and it cost him his green and white oil sponsorship, another championship alcohol dragster racer sold his car with a fuel tank with a false reservoir under the fuel cap, plastic crate was used to drop the chutes in and placed on the deck of a TA/FC that weighed about 40 pounds, one racer that would park his TA/FC in the shut down area with the fuel cap off for several minutes before towing to the scales. When chased down and confronted it failed fuel check because the supposed additive didn't have time to evaporate out but nothing was done about it. Later that weekend, a long time alcohol dragster racer put on his fuel cap "Official Castrol GTX Fuel Additive Inside."

I bet the Fear of losing Big name sponsors had made NHRA look the other way on a number of occasions

That motor change thrash Randy was talking about was the wildest one I was ever involved with. We had broken the fitting on top of the pump (we think as we had no data) and just nuked the motor. All we had in the trailer was a cast TFX short block that was totally untested. We had so many people helping us it was insane. Running all over the place trying to borrow stuff to get it back together. Somehow we made it to the lanes but we never got to start it in the pits. We wanted to start it in the staging lanes but they wouldn't let us. Heck we didn't know if it WOULD start. Dragged it out there to race Doug Gordon in the semi's hit the switch and it started ! It actually sounded OK til I looked at the oil pressure gauge and it was sitting on zero. No sadder feeling in the world when I pulled the fuel shutoff and the motor quit...Or so I thought til looked over and Rick Stewert was giving Doug the shut it off sign as they had a leak backing up from the burnout. If I only had seen that before shutting ours off could have staged it and got the win. Things get even weirder when we get back to the pit area and Randy looks in the dry sump tank and its obvious that oil was circulating. We thought about it for a while and Randy checked the oil pressure gauge with an air hose. Blow 125psi in it...Nada,nothing ,zilch. The kaboom in the second round was so big it killed the gauge. We had oil pressure, could have taken the tree in the semi's and gone on to race Dennis Taylor in the final,who went on and took the win in the final unopposed. Oh well wasn't meant to be. DT got his I believe first Wally at his home track so that was way cool and our team had actually been the baddest TAFC on the grounds for the race and Me? I wanted to beat a $50 oil pressure gauge to death with a hammer. Randy wouldn't let me near the hammer drawer though.

I would have treated that gauge like I did to my malfunctioning car CD player....set it on fire in my driveway

Finally found the pics! Believe me, it deserved it....
junk08109.jpg
junk08115.jpg

Last edited:
Obviously, there's a lot joking going on with using you as the humorous person but just one more dig for the hell of it.
Everyone is having fun with the stories and memories of course, All good of course but Please, Let me put my spin on it Just for Christmas (Not Holidays! as it is supposed to be used as to not offend others), Picture this......

Sorry...but here it goes.

Marc, Dressed like SANTA (Billy Bob Thornton style) Standing in front of Walmart with a Salvation Army container Yelling "Hey you bastard...A goddam quarter?? I have a box of Girl Scout cookies that I gonna shove right up your a$$ if you don't dig me out at least a 5 spot for the people that need it you F$@K!"

Oh B.T.W. I'm gonna be the First to wish you, Mark... A Merry Christmas not happy holidays !
Enjoy and don't get mad at me, Just wanted to put a :) on your face! Joe

Trust me. I wasn't joking.

I used to use a fuel oxidizer on my sand dragger back in the day and it wasn't illegal. However, I knew it was meant for cheating because it said right on the can that it can't be detected in specific gravity fuel tests. Not only that, but you really didn't need a specific gravity test to tell you were using it, since it had a louder, more ragged idle plus it had a very distinct and strong odor. Also, to keep the engine from running too lean, running the juice require a jet change of about 4 sizes up. Many years later, my brother had a open-wheel circle track car and I did his carb work. A friend of his who raced in the same class asked me to stop by and tweak the jetting on his car. I noticed a gel inside the carb bowls that I knew I'd seen somewhere but couldn't remember where or why. After I was finished, I told him to start it and make sure it ran before I left for work, he was very reluctant to start it saying he didn't want to run it indoors since they shared a large shop with several other teams, etc. But I insisted since the race was the next day and I wasn't available then so he fired it up and let it run for a couple seconds, then shut it off and thanked me, then walked to the other end of the shop. You know how certain smells bring your memory back instantly? That explained the goo in the float bowls and I told my brother not to be surprised if his friend had to order pistons soon, since that oxidizer was best suited for drag racing, not anything very long. Sure enough, the motor lasted about halfway through the main the next night. Crime doesn't pay...

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back