Cheating... and I don't mean on your spouse (1 Viewer)

barry

Nitro Member
DISCLAIMER - I have no knowledge of anyone, nor am I in any way implying that now or at any time, anyone who is, was or will be involved in NHRA drag racing is or was intentionally or accidentally cheating... BUT... someone recently told me that there are compounds that can be added to methanol and/or nitro that would greatly enhance the power of these fuels, and that the added compounds would not change the specific gravity. (as in what current fuel check would detect) Furthermore, I was told that NHRA has no instruments for detailed testing of fuels at the track.
Can someone please tell me this is not true.

Would this be cheating in the Alky catagories? I'm not sure the fuel cars need more power, hell they can smoke the tires at will.

The most popular "additives" a while ago were benzene and hydrazine. Here are some specific gravities Nitromethane - 1.139, methanol - 0.791, benzene - 0.876 and hydrazine - 0.797. Some people who were "mixing" didn't like running at night due to the tell tale flame color.

“If the ground is shakin; and the flames are green, he must be using that Hydrazine.”

392nitro1.jpg
392nitro2.jpg

http://www.dragzine.com/news/flashback-friday-the-story-of-the-leathal-fuel-called-hydrazine/

https://euclidsbridge.wordpress.com/2011/11/21/drag-racing-pioneers-or-suicidal-nutjobs/

I remember a quote that 2% would result in a good run, but 5% would result in header fumes that could hurt a lot of people on the way down the track...

Very good reads, both of them. This made me think: is there a chance this chemical or something like it was responsible for the funny car fuel tank explosion during the finish line interview (Tony P?) a few years ago? I remember a couple things about it: the person being interviewed seemed less than surprised and all the ESPN crew totally blew it off as "normal". I never saw it before or since.

"Just a word of advice…if you get something on your hands and can immediately taste it in your mouth…. you have just screwed up big time.":eek::eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:
The most popular "additives" a while ago were benzene and hydrazine. Here are some specific gravities Nitromethane - 1.139, methanol - 0.791, benzene - 0.876 and hydrazine - 0.797. Some people who were "mixing" didn't like running at night due to the tell tale flame color.

I doubt anyone in an Alky car is using hydrazine or benzine. They would tear up a lot of stuff, you would smell it immediately, and as has been previously pointed out, they would fail the fuel check.

As far as synthetics go, I remember hearing about SPO (synthetic propylene oxide) at least 10 years ago, but I do not know if it changes the specific gravity of Methanol or Nitro or if it was ever used in NHRA. Scroll to the bottom to read in the article below:

http://www.turbofast.com.au/racefuel12.html

I don't think there is any funny fuel business going on in Top Alky. They check the fuel too hard, hell I remember almost failing fuel check a couple times because of water in the fuel and you definitely won't even get away with running VP M5 methanol vs M1. The gains you're seeing in the blown alky cars are pretty much on engine power gains between cam/head/intake design, clutch tuning, ability to rev higher while hurting less. One thing you'll notice is a lot of teams in TAFC are now able to pull a 36" tire when we used to have to throw the kitchen sink at a 34.5" at places like Pomona just to get the car to go. That's where the big MPH numbers are coming from. People are talking about the new Camaro bodies, but the aero on that body isn't THAT much better than the old trusty Monte Carlo or Mustang. Racers are just finding better tune ups, a lot more power, and a clutch that actually comes close to locking up in high gear with a 36" tall tire.

Many of the best cheating idea's are things you don't see and yet in many cases are right in front of your eyes.

Creating low pressure area's under a car or simply making the air pass over a car in different ways for more or less down force are things that everyone looks at and yet few really understand what's happening.

One of my favorite saying is that in "life people get the right answers to the wrong questions" and this applies to tech inspectors in racing.

Checking racing fuel in a fuel cell is always important but checking fuel inside the engine is another story!

Jim Hill
www.nostalgicracingdecals.com

So Justin are the alky cars using fuel tires now? And is the same size tire used in TAD, A/FD, and TAFC?

Most of us are running a 36" Hoosier that is specifically for alky, Pro Mod even has their own with a stiffer side wall, IDK about the A/F Dragsters, :)

I was thinking about this awesome way to cheat. What if someone were to hide a small bottle of nitrous oxide somewhere...say like in the oil tank...on second thought...

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back