NHRA error... (1 Viewer)

Redman

Nitro Member
I have had a few people ask me if Gary Scelzi (Oakley car) was caught cheating this past weekend. As you can imagine, I was dumbfounded. But I did not see the broadcast on tv.

I am not exactly sure what was presented by the NHRA on ESPN, but if it in any way mislead people into thinking that the Oakley team, or any DSR team, was cheating because of the nitro barrel issue... I would consider this an egregious error.

It is Don's contention that the 4 barrels were approved by the NHRA as legal, and they were certainly never used at the race. They were upstairs in one of the trailers.

It is a very dangerous game that is played when accusations or inferences are made about the ethics of a team in this sport. I have never known Don to break, nudge up against, or even flirt with a potential rule infraction. He would never put his sponsor's reputation at risk.

I think the NHRA has a duty to clear up any misconception created by the sensational headlines presented this past weekend. Even the sound-bites send a different message than the story. Don Schumacher Racing fined $100,000 for fuel violation. Sounds like the DSR cars raced with illegal mixtures of nitro? A fine that big must mean that they were cheating?

The fact is that the NHRA acknowledges that it does not believe DSR used any fuel from these barrels during qualifying or racing at Las Vegas seems to be missing from the headline. Headlines are all many people read.

I do not like hearing someone question the race ethics of Oakley. We have competed fairly for all 9 years we have sponsored Funny Cars in the NHRA. And that includes up to, and through this weekend. For every person that says something to me about this, I can only wonder how many are thinking it. Damage like this is hard to repair.

Jim

Last edited:
Nice press release, Jim.

I believe we're all wondering just what the hell is going on here.

You certainly don't have to explain anything..it's fairly obvious that this leadership is hurting in anything close to being logical..or sensible.

Personally, I appreciate your personal input..I'm impressed. And you surely don't have to worry about the reputation of Oakley (the gold standard..by far).

I'm actually brokenhearted to see where we are at this moment.

Thanks again, Jim.

makes you wonder if NHRA is just trying to drum up press like nascar gets whenever they catch something funny. only difference is that there wasn't ANY type of infraction. mabey someone should start a rumor about Grahm Light's name on the list of clients for The Emperor's Club. bet he wouldn't like that

Jim - thanks for your input. NHRA's pompous statement about being the "stewards" of nitromethane was just ridiculous! Thank you for surporting everyone at DSR.

Maybe Dim Light is trying to make the NHRA like the NFL (like the way they punish players for using drugs, and such). It's a big error the NHRA made.:mad:

Last edited:
Thank you for speaking from the heart Jim. That's always been one of the many reasons I admire you. I truly appreciate what you have done for our sport, and have proudly wore the Oakley Logo on my face since my 1st pair of Razor Blades back in High School, while I sold them at Sunglass Hut!

Mr. Jennard is very right here. The NHRA has embarrassed not only the ENTIRE DSR ORGANIZATION, but their Sponsors and those affiliated with those teams. They have also embarrassed themselves. Proving that there really is no true leadership in this sanctioning body. Being a member of this National Hot Rod Association since 1989 (when I turned 16) I am embarrassed to be a member of NHRA because of recent FAILURES IN MANAGEMENT! True leadership does not publicly make blanket accusations like this. They don't Publicly levy fines in order to "SEND A MESSAGE". This is the act of a school yard bully, not the leader of a Professional Corporation.

Frankly, If I were a company wanting to showcase my product in a sports marketing endeavor, why would I choose to do this in the National Hot Rod Association.

I believe it is time to seek new leadership for OUR NATIONAL HOT ROD ASSOCIATION! To bring someone to the position of President of NHRA who will truly LEAD BY EXAMPLE! Somebody who understands not only the business side of running a company, but also understands the Ethics involved as well. Somebody who can honestly look into a competitors eyes and say, "I have walked a mile in your shoes!" I also believe it may be time that Mr. Light resign his position as well. The Senior Vice President of Racing Operations for a sport that is as Dangerous as Championship Drag Racing does not need to get into a "public pissing match" while making a decision.

I love NHRA drag racing more than any activity I have ever been involved in. It is my GOAL to join the NHRA Powerade Tour as a driver in the Pro ranks. To help bring this sport to the level that I believe it deserves. However, I can not in good conscience want to support the current leadership in this sanctioning body.

This situation is most upsetting to most die-hard fans here but the other sites no one has even mentioned it and the casual NHRA observer has no idea this situation happened, case in point:

Went to a friends body shop today who runs a AA/FA and the entire shop of 35 employees are drag racing fans. I asked them if they heard about this non-sense w/ the NHRA/DSR...not one person heard about the 100k fine or was really concerned. Most fans care about what happens on the racing surface.

The more people that talk about it in public forums the longer the drama plays out...let it go and let the formalities take place like all the other appeals that quietly go away.

The following is what I e-mailed to NHRA tech dept and member services. I'll post a response when/if there is one.:mad:

As a member of the NHRA, I ask that someone please, please talk some sense into the powers that be about this whole DSR/nitro issue.
I have two family members involved in both nitro classes and neither one is a part of DSR. So DSR to say the least is not my favorite team. However, what has happened here has, is and will continue to damage the reputation of not only DSR and the many sponsors involved with that team, but potentially every professional team (and sponsor) in the nitro ranks and beyond as well as the NHRA itself.
This issue needs to be resolved quickly, quietly and with a public appology to DSR and sponsors about how this was blown out of proportion. Oh, and the apology should be as headline grabbing and sensational as the original accusations were.
I'm ashamed as a member, fan, and family supporter of how NHRA handled this. I ask again, PLEASE make me the proud member I once was. Do the right thing.

The following is what I e-mailed to NHRA tech dept and member services. I'll post a response when/if there is one.:mad:

As a member of the NHRA, I ask that someone please, please talk some sense into the powers that be about this whole DSR/nitro issue.
I have two family members involved in both nitro classes and neither one is a part of DSR. So DSR to say the least is not my favorite team. However, what has happened here has, is and will continue to damage the reputation of not only DSR and the many sponsors involved with that team, but potentially every professional team (and sponsor) in the nitro ranks and beyond as well as the NHRA itself.
This issue needs to be resolved quickly, quietly and with a public appology to DSR and sponsors about how this was blown out of proportion. Oh, and the apology should be as headline grabbing and sensational as the original accusations were.
I'm ashamed as a member, fan, and family supporter of how NHRA handled this. I ask again, PLEASE make me the proud member I once was. Do the right thing.

The only problem with that Steve is the powers that be is the problem, kick them money grubbing powers that be out and get some people that are more intrested in good racing than trying to piss off racers, and fans!

Terry,
I may be a bit out of place here, I really dont believe this to be true, but albeit.

Your comments have proved how the current leaders in NHRA has dulled the mind of other class racers. My God Man WAKE UP!

The Pro Class' Top Fuel Dragster and Funny, Prostock Car and Bike are what you see on Sunday TV (if your lucky)... unless theres a Albanian Tether Ball tournament on in the time slot because of the lack of marketing vision in NHRA.

The Sportsman racer has come out as the Little guy with the big numbers, incredible growth in speed and classs, but do you see one sportsman car go down broadway on the NHRA big show? NHRA Believes in Equality, No-Ones on!

There was once a ProStock Truck Class.......in our not so far History, that went away..Challenge this....Huh?

Do you personally think that this is a trivial topic?

NHRA leadership has got such a percieved powerfull pair of ......... that they can go around and attack openly, not only the largest, but most successfull team owner and teams, flipping a huge number in a fine, just cause he's got it, and they feel that they can do whatever in Gods great creation they want to , when they want, if they feel like it?
(even though they dont have a legitimate leg to stand on)

God Forbid they piss off a sponsor..........Oh Wait, they dont get a dollar offa that....Or Do they?
People are brand/ sponsor loyal....Where can this go.......??
NOWHERE GOOD!

Why do you think that your buddies are numb to this, or that it really doesnt involve them? Its the Shiny Spinning Disc of NHRA that tells them it doesnt concern them.

It involves every swingin ..... person/ Driver/ Tuner/ Chief/ Buddy/ Friend that starts a race car.
It Involves the fan, the track owners, the communities, and yes, most of all the hobby/sponsored/car owner/ team member & driver.

It is OUR NHRA!!

That stands for National Hot Rod Association and WE have been around for a very long time, and hope that WE will be around for a long time to come.

WE are Racers, Families, Employees, Wifes, Children, Friends, Business Men, Corporations and yes even Government Entities that spend our weekends at a racetrack, Because we would rather do this than Breath.

WE Are America, a land of equality and diversity. Shouldnt we ALL be treated with RESPECT, DIGNITY and FAIRNESS?

Granted this doesn't follow the ass-kissing trend of this thread...however I think race fans have become so callous to teams weekly getting fined big dollars and points in the Nextel series that this deal is a yawner. I am sure that the involved parties feel wronged, I understand that completely!!!!! The reputation and image of DSR, Army, Oakley etc are world class.

In my opinion the press releases from the involved parties explaining their sides are probably reinforcing the image of cheating a hell of alot more than the knee jerk reaction by NHRA and the televised announcement. I bet in three months the only people that will remember this deal are the people that know the real story.

Last edited:
In my opinion the press releases from the involved parties explaining their sides are probably reinforcing the image of cheating a hell of alot more than the knee jerk reaction by NHRA and the televised announcement.

While I do understand this post, what do you say to us that have people asking us if our team got caught cheating? We sponsors are very protective of our image in the sport (or we should get the hell out). It hit home when I was a asked several times the last two days. At 1st I was just supportive of Don because I know he would not do anything to jeopardize our teams. Now I am feeling the direct impact of this event.

It is easy to bench race when you sit in the cheap seats. When your friends wonder if you (Toby) were caught cheating (even if they have very little info), your reaction might be quite different.

(Cheap seats is not meant to be derogatory... means no direct involvement in this case)

Jim

Last edited:
This situation is most upsetting to most die-hard fans here but the other sites no one has even mentioned it and the casual NHRA observer has no idea this situation happened, case in point:

Went to a friends body shop today who runs a AA/FA and the entire shop of 35 employees are drag racing fans. I asked them if they heard about this non-sense w/ the NHRA/DSR...not one person heard about the 100k fine or was really concerned. Most fans care about what happens on the racing surface.

The more people that talk about it in public forums the longer the drama plays out...let it go and let the formalities take place like all the other appeals that quietly go away.
Your wife must not have gotten any phone calls. If it doesn't butter your bread, let it quietly go away...

Jim, I worked on the Winston Top Fuel car from 98 until Winston left the sport. I worked on Alans Funny Car too. Now I work with several top Pro Stock teams. Not beating my chest, I just want you to know that I am not sitting in the nose bleed section :)

I understand how you are protective of the brand you built. I just really think the press releases are just adding fuel to the fire. Do you really think Toyota's sales were affected by the fines from Daytona? Truthfully I can't remember if that was even this year or last, much less which team. It wouldn't change my mind on buying a Toyota if I was in the market for a vehicle and didn't have ties with a US manufacturer. I think the strength of the Toyota name more than superseded its team getting caught cheating. It would be interesting to poll every person in Atlanta that visits the Oakley trailer and find out how much of an impact was the televised announcement...the press releases..the print media and so forth on the person visiting the Oakley trailer.

While I do understand this post, what do you say to us that have people asking us if our team got caught cheating? We sponsors are very protective of our image in the sport (or we should get the hell out). It hit home when I was a asked several times the last two days. At 1st I was just supportive of Don because I know he would not do anything to jeopardize our teams. Now I am feeling the direct impact of this event.

It is easy to bench race when you sit in the cheap seats. When your friends wonder if you (Toby) were caught cheating (even if they have very little info), your reaction might be quite different.

(Cheap seats is not meant to be derogatory... means no direct involvement in this case)

Jim

Last edited:
Jim, I worked on the Winston Top Fuel car from 98 until Winston left the sport. I worked on Alans Funny Car too. Now I work with several top Pro Stock teams. Not beating my chest, I just want you to know that I am not sitting in the nose bleed section :)

I understand how you are protective of the brand you built. I just really think the press releases are just adding fuel to the fire. Do you really think Toyota's sales were affected by the fines from Daytona? Truthfully I can't remember if that was even this year or last, much less which team. I think the strength of the Toyota name more than superceded its team getting caught cheating. It would be interesting to poll every person in Atlanta that visits the Oakley trailer and find out how much of an impact was the televised announcement...the press releases..the print media and so forth.

Toby... please read my post. Cheap seats refers to no direct involvement... not nose-bleed seats.

And I could give a **** about the sales at the Rolling O... I don't like my friends wondering if we cheated. That is exactly what was in question the past two days.

(looks like you can't swear on this forum)

Toby... my rant is not directed at you. If it seems so, I apologize. I'm just very frustrated.

Jim

Last edited:
In my opinion the press releases from the involved parties explaining their sides are probably reinforcing the image of cheating a hell of alot more than the knee jerk reaction by NHRA and the televised announcement.

Toby, this is a great thing, this America.
Diverse Populace and all, regional uniqueness..........
I must admit we are a feeling bunch here in the midwest,
we allow most of all the quaint differences of simple people.

Jim, I have something I would like you to see that my company, Dr Flames makes, could you pm me with a e-mail address, thanks, mark

I think it shows a lack of class that NHRA made a public remark!
Not only did it throw Don under a bus it pretty much threw everyone involved with DSR under the same bus and that sucks...

Implying that HLM reg's are the reason for price increases is just not right, this latest grandstand move with the media was big mistake, good luck Don and Jim with your fight.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back