Fan Base of the NHRA (1 Viewer)

We had visitors to our camp @ the Winternats on Sun....One a VP for a fortune 300 company and his wife who runs the NW section of Shell Oil and the race was their first NHRA drag race. They enjoyed the pits as they had VIP passes to D Powers team....They had starting lines access and enjoyed the first round of Top Fuel/Funny cars but I could sense they were ready to leave by the end of the second round.....They tried to sugar coat their day later @ dinner that night but admitted they enjoy NASCAR much more....They said those people (us) are freaks as going in a straight line over and over seemed boring....That was their opinion and said they'd go again, but I know they will not...And they got all the entry/pit/start line access for free...
oh well....we are freaks I suppose....

Now, that's an interesting comment. I won't think that watching your toilet flush would be more interesting...at least it isn't to me..lol

We had visitors to our camp @ the Winternats on Sun....One a VP for a fortune 300 company and his wife who runs the NW section of Shell Oil and the race was their first NHRA drag race. They enjoyed the pits as they had VIP passes to D Powers team....They had starting lines access and enjoyed the first round of Top Fuel/Funny cars but I could sense they were ready to leave by the end of the second round.....They tried to sugar coat their day later @ dinner that night but admitted they enjoy NASCAR much more....They said those people (us) are freaks as going in a straight line over and over seemed boring....That was their opinion and said they'd go again, but I know they will not...And they got all the entry/pit/start line access for free...

Well I think this story confirms what I have seen many times with people I bring to the drag races. Either you get it or you don't. Doesn't seem to be much middle ground.

That's a point I was making in another thread, Terry... This stuff isnt for everyone- some people, no matter what level of society, just don't get it.

Personally, I dig being in the "freak" catagory...:D

BTW...who should I suck up to on the Powers team for some of those free VIP passes for Phoenix!!! I promise I'll appreciate them!!

Last edited:
I remember at the Sonoma Drag race in '03? We were taking the Parking lot shuttle to the gate and everybody on the Shuttle was talking about how the Nascar boys had qualified! I thought "This IS a Drag race right"?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

That must've been a boring conversation to listen into. I hope you gave them a bit of stick Joe

Well I think this story confirms what I have seen many times with people I bring to the drag races. Either you get it or you don't. Doesn't seem to be much middle ground.
Kinda like seeing an Opera performance. You either get it or you don't. Me? Now, THAT'S something I just don't get. ;)

Frankly, I'm glad NHRA isn't like Nascar - who wants that kind of a crowd? If we had that many people show up to an event - where would we put everyone? Would they have to close off the pits due to too many people? As my brother said - drag racing is racing's best kept secret.

Frankly, I'm glad NHRA isn't like Nascar - who wants that kind of a crowd? If we had that many people show up to an event - where would we put everyone? Would they have to close off the pits due to too many people? As my brother said - drag racing is racing's best kept secret.

Melissa, I doubt anybody wants Drag racing to become like Nascar for a Host of reasons. I certainly wouldn't want to wait in 2-3 hr traffic lines or pay $100 for a Ticket. But none the less this sport is underpromoted Heavily IMO!

..They said those people (us) are freaks as going in a straight line over and over seemed boring....

LOL!

Why don't NASCAR fans finally admit to just watching the races to see the crashes? :rolleyes:

Think I'm being off-base? Every time I see a NASCAR fan at a drag race it's always the same thing: "This is cool, but where are the crashes?"

At least we don't need to go around in circles looking for the finish line! :D

I know a lot of NASCAR fans, and frankly, I don't know a single one that watches the races for the crashes.

One of the advantages that NASCAR has over drag racing is that it has an appeal to those who are not gearheads. I mean at a stock car race you really don't have to know much about the cars to appreciate and understand what is happening on the track. With NASCAR a person can attend a race for the first time and still get it without having to understand things like e.t.'s, the differences in car classes, etc.

But in the end there are probably a billion different reasons why some prefer one form of racing or team sport over another. For instance, I love hockey and find football to be very boring. I am in fact amazed that my fellow Americans could prefer the NFL over the NHL. Yet that certainly is the case. Likewise, those of us who prefer drag racing feel much the same way when it comes to NASCAR.

70's, went to several Indy car and Nascar races at both O.M.S. and Riverside, OMS bored me to tears, watching the cars through the esses and across the top chute at Riverside was a blast... But neither held a candle to drag racing.

Maybe it's because I have ADD, but I can't keep interested in a race that lasts from 2 to 4 hours, even in person.

The thing about NASCAR is, I only know who a few of the guys still running and the rest are too Hollywood for my taste. I just hope that NHRA never gets so big that "people in the way" change the way a hard-core fan views the whole experience. I mean, stay out of the way, pay attention to what's going on around you, try not to make a pest out of yourself...

I know a lot of NASCAR fans, and frankly, I don't know a single one that watches the races for the crashes.

One of the advantages that NASCAR has over drag racing is that it has an appeal to those who are not gearheads. I mean at a stock car race you really don't have to know much about the cars to appreciate and understand what is happening on the track............. I am in fact amazed that my fellow Americans could prefer the NFL over the NHL...........

it's the same old chess vs. checkers argument - there are a whole lot more
checker players than chess players.

apples and oranges. seems more nascar fans roots for the drivers only. its more about the performance in the nhra.

LOL!

Why don't NASCAR fans finally admit to just watching the races to see the crashes? :rolleyes:

Think I'm being off-base? Every time I see a NASCAR fan at a drag race it's always the same thing: "This is cool, but where are the crashes?"

At least we don't need to go around in circles looking for the finish line! :D

You are off base. No one can call themselves a "fan" if all they are there to see are the crashes.
I am proud to say I enjoy NASCAR, actually all types of racing and certainly NOT for the crashes.

Sorry, I based that opinion of mine off a couple of idiots I interacted with a couple of years ago at E-town (They were like, "Come on, where's the crashes?"), and a couple of others over the years. Based on how people react when I tell them that, I am wrong. I feel dumb now. :eek:

No need to feel dumb about suspecting some NASCAR fans of liking crashes, it's just like some so-called hockey fans go there expecting/hoping to see a fight. Personally, I don't watch NASCAR for the racing, I watch it for the wrecking but then I have never gone to one in person -- maybe it's better than on TV? What I find hilarious about NASCAR is the "conspiracy theories" about how races are manipulated for drama and effect (see the New York Times Feb 13, 2007 for more details). Many people find it highly suspicious that cautions for debris seem to occur whenever they go away to commercial and it just "happens" to reel the leaders back in and make it a tighter race. Makes the hints about "team orders" in drag racing seem minor by contrast.

Welcome Janet...
And Nope, SuperSpeedway races are even more boring in person... Kinda like trying to watch a drag race from the last top end turn out:eek:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back