How NOT to act as a fan. (1 Viewer)

HEMI6point1

Nitro Member
There is an Article on Hillary Will on NHRA.com:

NHRA News: After answering her critics, Will ready to make big gains in new year (1/5/2007)

What shocked me is this:

"This fan got right up in my face and just chewed me out in front of everyone," said Will, who stands 5 feet 4 inches and weighs 105 pounds. "I'd put the car in the sand Saturday night, and he was like, 'You've got no business driving a race car. You'll never make it.' I was so shocked I couldn't even speak. I hate to admit it, but it really affected me."

Now, I don't know about any of you but that is just rude. I don't care who it is - a fan should NEVER act like that! :mad: I know he later apologized, but still....

I'd like to see the same fan make an outburst like that in front of Shirley. He wouldn't last 5 seconds.

Officially the funniest thing a pro racer has said so far in 2007 ,

"This fan got right up in my face and just chewed me out in front of everyone"

It may not be funny to you guys and gals , but its funny to me.

A super pro racer basicly did the same thing to me during my first time out with a blown car after I came close to hitting the wall. In one sense we really had no buisness being out there so early in the season, the track was way too green and it was cold. But I needed to get licenced and we really needed to test. I was shocked that he said it and it did bother me a little.

At the end of the season after taking the pole at the last major race, he walked by and complimented my driving and my crew. I thought that was pretty big of him to do and it made my day. He could have just said nothing.

It's so easy to criticize until you've walked in their shoes then you realize it's not as easy as it appears. I have the upmost respect for anyone racing a blown or injected car. Hillary is a very capable driver and didn't deserve that!

Rich Bailey
www.capracing.com

Last edited:
Geez, heaven forbid if anyone gets criticized by anyone these days.:rolleyes: If that's the worst thing someone said to her last year, then I would say life is mighty good.

Now when one comes in with a lot of hype and then goes out and has some "interesting" moments and lapses behind the wheel. How can one not expect some criticism from someone?

Now originally, the owner of that ride wanted a experience championship type driver???...couldn't get Kenny Bernstein or Mike Dunn, but settled on Hillary Will? From the way 2006 went down, he should've hired JR Todd.

CHRA - Country Club Hot Rod Association

Last edited:
Geez, heaven forbid if anyone gets criticized by anyone these days.:rolleyes: If that's the worst thing someone said to her last year, then I would say life is mighty good.

Now when one comes in with a lot of hype and then goes out and has some "interesting" moments and lapses behind the wheel. How can one not expect some criticism from someone?

Now originally, the owner of that ride wanted a experience championship type driver???...couldn't get Kenny Bernstein or Mike Dunn, but settled on Hillary Will? From the way 2006 went down, he should've hired JR Todd.

CHRA - Country Club Hot Rod Association

not a big fan of hillary are ya !!. i felt what that fan did was disrespectful and besides she was a rookie so i think most people woulda cut her some slack. Is it me or do u seem to have an axe to grind against well funded teams !!

just asking !!

jf

The fan was prolly jealous? Would have been cool if Connie heard this guy and kicked his ass.lol.

not a big fan of Hillary are ya !!.
It doesn't make a difference if I'm a fan or not.

i felt what that fan did was disrespectful
Yeah, and your probably right, but like said, if that's the worst thing she heard last season, then everything is gonna be ok.

and besides she was a rookie so i think most people woulda cut her some slack.
Sounds that way.

Is it me or do u seem to have an axe to grind against well funded teams !!
It must be you.

I think Hillary did a Great job in '06! I'm sure the stress of what happened at Columbus had to weigh on her heavily for several weeks. And to comeback and end the season like she did was a job well done.

Unfortunatley, those kinds of people are almost everywhere in life. Atleast he sought her out to make amends. But it's all part of learning & growing when you enter the spotlight. There's similar stories with Muldowney. A guy once spit Pepsi right in her face in the pits. Tobler immediatley hit him with something, there was a scuffle.... and the cops took him away. I wouldn't be surprised if Ashley Force eventually gets it too. And you can forget about Connie.... if I was looking to stir up trouble around that pit area, there's about 20 guys before him you'd have to get through first.
It is a nice story though... THANKS ROB!!

hind site is twenty twenty.. but she should have told thim thanks and enjoy your DUI on the way home.....

We had a sponsor for an oval car once rasied hell because we went 5 races at the first of a season with out a win after moving up to Latemodel from Latemodel stock.... told us we were wasiting his time.... we rented a driving school car and turned him loose in it... he did two laps .got out and left.. next day we got our check and he never complained again... oh we won in the 10th race of the season.. lol....

Some people just don't get what it takes to drive any form of a race car... very few.. maybe a handful can jump in a ride and make it right out of the bag look easy.... most have a learning curve when starting or moving up..

when people do stupid stuff like that .. just smile and say thank you and you ruined the rest of their weekend.. because it never got to you.... as far as they know....lol

Billy

Last edited:
I think Hillary did a Great job in '06! I'm sure the stress of what happened at Columbus had to weigh on her heavily for several weeks. And to comeback and end the season like she did was a job well done.

I agree Joe...Hilary did a great job this year! It was out of line though for the "fan" to get in her face. Fans, as well as drivers have a moral obligation to act as decent people and not spoiled brats.

T

The worst thing in the world? Not so much. Still isn't an excuse to be a dick either.

As far as putting JR in the seat, I guess. However I've been told drag racing is so easy anybody could do it? :confused:

Hillary being dissed...SO WHAT....its the price you pay for being in the hot seat of a T/F dragster. Drag racing is no different than any other sport. Ever been to a football/baseball/basketball game and listened to the fans yell/scream/curse @ the players? Its part of the biz. Anyone here ever been criticized @ your place of employment? I have and I welcome it...it makes you stronger or it shows your true colors.
I for one could name a few pilots that should not be steering 330 mph race cars but what does it matter.
Hillary is in that car for a couple of reasons...mainly $$$$$. Her family pays her income, KB pays her zilch, he only pays for the team and the equipment it takes to play ball, kind of like T. Bartone and Beckman.
Hillary was the most watched pilot last year by the NHRA and she got into trouble a few times, almost crashed into Vandergriff....remember. Bob jr was pissed w/ that incident.
Remember when Christen Powell went fuel coupe racing? Everyone was VERY worried and she left the seat....Many were happy w/ that decision.
If you can't take the heat go home and be a fan...later

'You've got no business driving a race car. You'll never make it.'

If she meets NHRA's qualifications and has a ride, she has as much "business" as anyone else. Anything else is your personal opinion. That's all.

The second statement by Nostradamus there should have told you all you needed to know about the intelligence level that he's dealing from. Put yourself in his company at your peril.

Your emotions are your responsibility and I'm sure he hit Hillary at a time when her confidence was already shaken.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back