How NOT to act as a fan. (1 Viewer)

Hillary being dissed...SO WHAT....its the price you pay for being in the hot seat of a T/F dragster. Drag racing is no different than any other sport. Ever been to a football/baseball/basketball game and listened to the fans yell/scream/curse @ the players? Its part of the biz. Anyone here ever been criticized @ your place of employment? I have and I welcome it...it makes you stronger or it shows your true colors.
I for one could name a few pilots that should not be steering 330 mph race cars but what does it matter.
Hillary is in that car for a couple of reasons...mainly $$$$$. Her family pays her income, KB pays her zilch, he only pays for the team and the equipment it takes to play ball, kind of like T. Bartone and Beckman.
Hillary was the most watched pilot last year by the NHRA and she got into trouble a few times, almost crashed into Vandergriff....remember. Bob jr was pissed w/ that incident.
Remember when Christen Powell went fuel coupe racing? Everyone was VERY worried and she left the seat....Many were happy w/ that decision.
If you can't take the heat go home and be a fan...later

Being personally disrespected happens to matter to a lot of people. To me, once you do it, you have changed the subject to a much more important personal problem of yours than whatever else it was that we were originally talking about. I believe it's why this board was changed so that you have to make posts with your real name. Just because it IS part of the biz doesn't mean it should be. If you mean by "so what" that Hillary shouldn't have let herself be personally effected by it, then I'd agree with you.

Sounds like NHRA should have hired you to be the authority to determine who gets to drive and who doesn't.

Not that Hillary's income is any of my business or concern, but I thought I read that she did consulting?

It goes the other way, too. Imagine if a high profile driver mouthed off or badmouthed someone or cussed out a fan... these days? with cellphone cameras and sites like youtube.com and my space, etc....... that could severely jeopardize your relationship with your sponsors and could conceivably cause irreversable career damage. It's not only part of calling youself a "professional"..... but also about common sense, doing what's right and just treating your fellow man with respect.

Right. Just because personal disrespect is going to happen doesn't mean you want to act like it's ever acceptable. I wish a lot of us had been there when the fan said that.

But it's all part of learning & growing when you enter the spotlight. There's similar stories with Muldowney. A guy once spit Pepsi right in her face in the pits. Tobler immediatley hit him with something, there was a scuffle.... and the cops took him away.
I see you`ve got the Extras on 'Heart Like a Wheel' memorized.

Officially the funniest thing a pro racer has said so far in 2007 ,

"This fan got right up in my face and just chewed me out in front of everyone"

It may not be funny to you guys and gals , but its funny to me.

I guess I missed something, because I don't see anything funny here.

Geez, heaven forbid if anyone gets criticized by anyone these days.:rolleyes: If that's the worst thing someone said to her last year, then I would say life is mighty good.

Now when one comes in with a lot of hype and then goes out and has some "interesting" moments and lapses behind the wheel. How can one not expect some criticism from someone?

Now originally, the owner of that ride wanted a experience championship type driver???...couldn't get Kenny Bernstein or Mike Dunn, but settled on Hillary Will? From the way 2006 went down, he should've hired JR Todd.

CHRA - Country Club Hot Rod Association

Hey Tony, just curious, do you like anybody??? I dont think I have ever read something from you that was positive towards anyone. I used to pull for you guys b/c your underdogs, but b/c of everything you write on here you sound like a big jerk with a chip on his shoulder.

Hey Tony, just curious, do you like anybody??? I dont think I have ever read something from you that was positive towards anyone. I used to pull for you guys b/c your underdogs, but b/c of everything you write on here you sound like a big jerk with a chip on his shoulder.

Is it me or do u seem to have an axe to grind against well funded teams !!

just asking !!

jf

It must be you.

HMMM !!!

so maybe its not just me !!

jf

Sure I like a lot of people, but because I don't come here and type endless posts of ass kissing drivel, makes me a bad guy?

I've always tried to look at the other side of things when posting on this board...popular or unpopular.

If someone got in T.J.'s face you would be the first one there.
T.J. is more than capable of handling himself.

Also, I can't imagine any fan saying anything worse to him than what I, Mandoline, Wilkerson, Settles and another big name crew chief has already said to him. It's called thick skin, folks. Try growing one.

I've said it once, twice and I'll say it again, If that's the worst thing she heard, then things will be ok. Hillary Will should win at least 2-3 races in 2007....but we'll see.

did that fan give his real name before he spouted off:D

and some people think we're bad....:)

there's a difference between fans yelling at ball players and refs in that context. we are allowed in the racers dugout . that fan should have had his ass kicked out of the racetrack.

Personally I think one of the missing pieces to this puzzle is the individual who got in Hillary's face in the first place. Nobody has his side of the story. And there are almost always three sides to every story: In this case his side, her side & the truth. Am I suggesting Hillary is lying?

Absolutely not.

I'm suggesting that maybe, just maybe his "act of getting in her face" wasn't quite as bad as the article portrays it. So does that make what he did right?

Again, absolutely not.

But as Tony Smith (and the article itself) suggests, she entered the season under more scrutiny than any other pro driver. She had to expect a few snickers and snide remarks along the way - especially after they advertised they were looking for a "experienced, championship caliber driver." Maybe I misunderstood it, but I thought that meant Top Fuel experience. And know it right now: Ashley Force is going to be under an even bigger spotlight in about 32 days - be prepared.

Anyway, the reason I mention 'his' side of the story is because he had the intenstinal fortitude to return to her at the season ending World Finals and eat crow. Not always easy, and not very tasty, but he did it. We may never know why he 'lashed out' at the Winternationals - what was he going through in his life? Had a loved one recently passed? Had a wife left him? Was he jealous? Lost a job? Just having a bad day? Who knows? Maybe none of that... As I said, we don't know. But lying somewhere between her story and what is written about his actions is the truth.

Yet we sit here and judge his actions as if we're without sin ourselves. Sure, we all try to be decent human beings who treat each other with respect and dignity 99.9% of the time - but most, if not all of us, are guilty of having bad days. We're all guilty of lashing out inappropriately at one time or another. What we hope is that we too will have the courage to know we were wrong and do our best to make amends whenever possible - just like he did at the Finals.

I've read a book lately that states "Don't take things personally." and how to make that an agreement with yourself.

We can't control others' actions. So many times, they are a misdirection of something else going on with them. It is not OUR fault......it's their problem.

It seems these drivers, crew chiefs, owners and crew members are faced with this day by day. Not to take things personally is something I learned years ago. It's something I have to remind myself of daily, but basically it is a mantra I follow. Once I figured it out it sure made my days (and nights) easier. :)

Sure I like a lot of people, but because I don't come here and type endless posts of ass kissing drivel, makes me a bad guy?

I've always tried to look at the other side of things when posting on this board...popular or unpopular.

I dont come here and post ass kissing drivel either. It just seems to me that every post you make is always negative no matter who they are talking about especially if its a well funded team like James pointed out . No big deal. And know I dont have a quota for you to meet smart ass, I was just saying. Its all good. So what is yall's schedule for 2007?

I've read a book lately that states "Don't take things personally." and how to make that an agreement with yourself.

We can't control others' actions. So many times, they are a misdirection of something else going on with them. It is not OUR fault......it's their problem.

It seems these drivers, crew chiefs, owners and crew members are faced with this day by day. Not to take things personally is something I learned years ago. It's something I have to remind myself of daily, but basically it is a mantra I follow. Once I figured it out it sure made my days (and nights) easier. :)

My wife read that book too ("The Four Agreements" by Don Miguel Ruiz), and it also helped her. Me, I already knew it was everyone else's fault! ;)

LMAO Brett!

That's a good book.....all 4 agreements used together can REALLY make a difference in your outlook. :)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back