How NOT to act as a fan. (1 Viewer)

Bob....more males have crashed due to the demographics of the players....

After seeing that incident I felt for the other pilots as there is a rule (silent) that says "stay in your lane and I will stay in mine" and that ultimate trust among drivers was broken.

My cousin who flies jets saw that incident and said if that kind of situation happened in the Navy by him he would never be allowed to fly again under the Navy banner.

I will not name names but there are many pro(s) drivers out there who are still very concerned about her and a couple of other pilots.

And Bruce.....I have never made a 'complete' pass in a fuel dragster but have had my share of fun, while being a bit intimidated @ the same time w/ the amount of instant horsepower you have under your foot.

I just try to be practical. I wouldn't tell a driver "You're going to do great" OR "You're never going to make it."

In the first place, either would be crystal ball stuff that nobody could possibly know, and it would make me appear to be ridiculous.

Second, if they're NOT going to make it, it's going to be hard enough on them anyways and they wouldn't need me piling on and making it worse, such as suggesting that maybe they suck. If they DON'T happen to have "thick skin", those words could worsen their confidence to the point that it COULD have an affect on their future performance.

To Tony's credit, I think his "thick skin" comment is saying the same thing Kelly is. It just also happens to sound like you should know the difference and just go on, never bothering to point out that it was wrong for someone to say it in the first place. Yeah, they're never going to see the discussion on this board, but I think it's at least good for us to talk about it. Maybe it'll keep someone else from being that ridiculous.

I think it's kinda like racism, that it's one of those things that will eventually work it's way out of our society. Maybe some would say that black people should have just had "thick skin" all these years when something inappropriate was said to them.

What do you think, Tony? :D
Well...I see your point, but I'm not quite ready to compare someone who has lived a charmed life and is now driving top fuel cars for a living, to some of the racism issues in this country.
However I do think some blacks do need to develop a thicker skin to some of the things that go on if life. Spend more time trying better themselves and their children. To many blacks have made it in life for some to continue to use that stuff as an excuse. Everybody has a choice...this isn't Iraq.

It goes the other way, too. Imagine if a high profile driver mouthed off or badmouthed someone or cussed out a fan... these days? with cellphone cameras and sites like youtube.com and my space, etc....... that could severely jeopardize your relationship with your sponsors and could conceivably cause irreversable career damage. It's not only part of calling youself a "professional"..... but also about common sense, doing what's right and just treating your fellow man with respect.

Anybody remember the Ace's fan "Incident”? Didn't seem to ruin his rep it actually added to it!
I know Connie has a temper and a lot of very loyal employees but I know a few guy's that would plow through that 20 people and go right on to the next team so what does that have to do with anything?
I know Shirley has a temper to, she had to back in the day, but to imply she would do something about it irks me.
Shirley gets away with a lot of stuff because she is a women if she were a
guy it wouldn't be the case.
The guy who got in Hillary's face was plain out wrong! :mad: You can be critical and not be a dick in the process. I personally think Hillary will be just fine if not that will be up to the people directly involved not us.
They obviously think she has what it takes and that's fine with me. :)

It just seems to me that every post you make is always negative no matter who they are talking about especially if its a well funded team like James pointed out . No big deal. And know I dont have a quota for you to meet smart ass, I was just saying. Its all good. So what is yall's schedule for 2007?
Well we certainly have our fair share of positive posters....why would we need another? I'm a big boy, I'll stand in the fire and take the heat.

...and as far as the well funded teams, I'll actually really like the Kalitta group, everyone over there really does seem to have a pulse. It broke my heart to Doug lose that deal 2006.

Our plan is to win the IHRA Championship, we're still waiting on an answer for funding.

Last edited:
Well...I see your point, but I'm not quite ready to compare someone who has lived a charmed life and is now driving top fuel cars for a living, to some of the racism issues in this country.
However I do think some blacks do need to develop a thicker skin to some of the things that go on if life. Spend more time trying better themselves and their children. To many blacks have made it in life for some to continue to use that stuff as an excuse. Everybody has a choice...this isn't Iraq.

If it's wrong to say, it's wrong to say. Doesn't matter if you're pretending to be Nostradamus in predicting someone's future driving abilities or if talking about the color of someone's skin. Yeah, you should know better in either case if you're on the receiving end, but we're still going to talk about how it was wrong for someone to say it. I believe that's how society improves.

The "charmed life" thing tells me you still have things going on. You made a similar comment to me once just because I've been able to drive a bracket dragster for the last several years. Then I explained that I built the darned thing (not to mention spending ten years accumulating parts to get a deal on almost everything that went into it) because it was the only way I could afford it. People walk around my dragster at a track, say something like "I wish I could afford that", then get in their $25,000 pickup to go home. I then get in my $6,000 dually to pull the trailer home.

I don't think ANYONE has an easy life. From what I see, if someone has it easier than most in one way, there's usually something somewhere that makes up for it in another. Look at what so many famous, wealthy people and their kids end up doing to themselves. Sheez, you should have seen the show on Discovery the other week about lottery winners and what happens to most and their families. Why they played it at 2 AM, I have no idea. Extremely humbling. I feel for anyone who gets treated like they're a dollar sign.

Last edited:
People walk around my dragster at a track, say something like "I wish I could afford that", then get in their $25,000 pickup to go home. I then get in my $6,000 dually to pull the trailer home.

Ron, try increasing that $$$ figure for most pickup trucks or SUV's in parking lots by about $10,000. You ain't gonna find a new pickup or SUV for $25 grand much anymore unless there is about a $5-10,000.00 rebate going.

Sounds like you did the smart thing and saved and scrimped and didn't buy new wheels to drive around in so you could build something fun to race. I should be so sensible as I would love to have a fun "old" street car or else a car to race again in brackets or whatever. Haven't thought that way in a long long time.

Ron, try increasing that $$$ figure for most pickup trucks or SUV's in parking lots by about $10,000. You ain't gonna find a new pickup or SUV for $25 grand much anymore unless there is about a $5-10,000.00 rebate going.

Sounds like you did the smart thing and saved and scrimped and didn't buy new wheels to drive around in so you could build something fun to race. I should be so sensible as I would love to have a fun "old" street car or else a car to race again in brackets or whatever. Haven't thought that way in a long long time.

LOL, you're right. I'm outa the loop on new car prices. We have a 95 Caravan and an 85 Chevy 1 ton. We have the opportunity to move up to a "new" used 99 Caravan (you gotta learn to say it to her like that!) with 65,000 miles for $3,000! (what our 95 cost 5 years ago)

LOL, you're right. I'm outa the loop on new car prices. We have a 95 Caravan and an 85 Chevy 1 ton. We have the opportunity to move up to a "new" used 99 Caravan (you gotta learn to say it to her like that!) with 65,000 miles for $3,000! (what our 95 cost 5 years ago)

New car prices will scare you! I shudder to think what the new Challenger and Camaro's will come in at price wise. At least V-8 versions anyway. Ford has to be commended for keeping the price of the Mustang GT so reasonable, at well under $30,000.00 unless you go crazy with options. Of course the GT-500 is another matter, as is the Shelby GT which might not be available yet, but will be over $30,000.00. I thought I would hold out for the new Dodge Challenger, but may end up buying a used Mustang GT (or new if they hold the prices). That might satisfy my urge to build an old muscle car that I don't have the time and energy to tinker with anymore. ;)

If everything keeps falling into place, one of those crappy Caravans will be carrying batteries, a starter, and a tow strap this year!

New car prices will scare you! I shudder to think what the new Challenger and Camaro's will come in at price wise. At least V-8 versions anyway. Ford has to be commended for keeping the price of the Mustang GT so reasonable, at well under $30,000.00 unless you go crazy with options. Of course the GT-500 is another matter, as is the Shelby GT which might not be available yet, but will be over $30,000.00. I thought I would hold out for the new Dodge Challenger, but may end up buying a used Mustang GT (or new if they hold the prices). That might satisfy my urge to build an old muscle car that I don't have the time and energy to tinker with anymore. ;)

Actually, 30K can get you a fully loaded Mustang Coupe. The vert is another 5K.

I'm really liking the new '07 Charger Daytona with the plum purple paint but it's nearly 39 grand! :eek:

Not that Tony needs anybody to defend him but I've seen him make plenty of positive comments. This one came immediately to mind:
A tip of the cap to Bobby Lagana Jr.

That said, I disagree with the "Country Club Hot Rod Association" and "charmed life" comments. Can you honestly make that assessment, Tony? That is, unless you have some experience being a 26 year old woman that you like to share? :confused: :D

I'm really liking the new '07 Charger Daytona with the plum purple paint but it's nearly 39 grand! :eek:

Let's see. For about that money, would I rather have a new factory car or a blown nitro nostalgia funny car?

I'm thinking. (LOL, yeah, right. I'll drive a piece of crap, thank you. But, then I might not impress anyone on the way to Walmart! Whatever will I do?)

Last edited:
can i just get back to the original subject here for a minute and just reiterate this: what the hell gives any fan the right to mouth off to any driver in the pits, for any reason?

that's just a low life fan right there. we're lucky to be in the pits. we're lucky to get as close as we do. I think we fans ought to remember that.

can i just get back to the original subject here for a minute and just reiterate this: what the hell gives any fan the right to mouth off to any driver in the pits, for any reason?

that's just a low life fan right there. we're lucky to be in the pits. we're lucky to get as close as we do. I think we fans ought to remember that.

Take the pits away and you can say good bye to Drag Racing so what's your point? :rolleyes:

I don't feel privileged just because I'm in the pits, hell I pay good money just like everyone else! ;)

You need another point...:cool:

it wasnt really a save, because she shouldnt have put herself in that position anyway......it happend on a friday night qualifying session.....it wasnt like this was sunday and she was going for the win, there really wasnt any reason for her to stay in the throttle as long as she did, and thats something she probably knows now, and while that episode was really close to being really ugly, it will ultimetly make her a better driver
Unless a driver hits oil or other fluids (or animals) on the track, or a vital part of the car breaks, every situation where a driver loses control of the car is a case of them not doing something right, usually not lifting soon enough. That happens with veterans as well as rookies, and it happens under every possible set of circumstances, be it qualifying or eliminations, anywhere on the track and even in the shutdown area. That was one heck of a save because she didn't put the car into the wall or hit Herbert.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back