Fan Base of the NHRA (1 Viewer)

Kelly...
ya'll still have my cell, right... and that very loud ahhhh $hit ya heard a couple of sunday nights ago was me when Robert "touched" the center line

I know a lot of NASCAR fans, and frankly, I don't know a single one that watches the races for the crashes.

One of the advantages that NASCAR has over drag racing is that it has an appeal to those who are not gearheads. I mean at a stock car race you really don't have to know much about the cars to appreciate and understand what is happening on the track. With NASCAR a person can attend a race for the first time and still get it without having to understand things like e.t.'s, the differences in car classes, etc.

But in the end there are probably a billion different reasons why some prefer one form of racing or team sport over another. For instance, I love hockey and find football to be very boring. I am in fact amazed that my fellow Americans could prefer the NFL over the NHL. Yet that certainly is the case. Likewise, those of us who prefer drag racing feel much the same way when it comes to NASCAR.
That's not the first time I've heard that... Seems to me a lot of drag racers and fans like what's considered an "alternative" sport, such as hockey. Find a hockey fan, and most likely you'll find a drag racing fan as well.

As to the perception of drag racing vs NASCAR, the casual fan does have a bit more of a hard time understanding the technical aspects and various classes NHRA has. However, restrictor plate racing, chassis adjstments, etc. etc. are also technical in nature and the average NASCAR fan knows all about this kind of stuff. The main difference as I see it is that NASCAR has slowly and gradually "brought the fan up to speed" as to the technical side of things, and also during that process made the drivers the actual stars of the show. This has not been a quick process. Back when both sanctioning bodies were on an equal footing (the 70's...considered the "good old days" of NHRA), the perception of NASCAR was of "good ole boys racin' around in circles" and the fans were ridiculed and looked down upon. The hardcore fanbase was confined mainly to the Southern states and the resultant image was born. Back then, the "Great American Race" was the Indianapolis 500, not the Daytona 500.

NHRA's image at the time was more of an "outlaw" type perception (everybody thought drag racers were wild-eyed punks with no regard for safety..racing in the streets, etc. etc.), and that continues even today, when some stupid kid in a Honda takes out a couple of cars while street racing, what's it reported as? That's right... it's almost always reported as "Drag Racer kills 2 in illegal race" or some such claptrap like that. NHRA's upper echelon didn't get it then, and they don't get it now... and the result is they're always playing catchup to NASCAR.

The fans of each type of racing are for the most part very closed minded. Look at some of the responses here for an example... NASCAR fans are even worse. That's not to say that there aren't fans who like both, but there are far too many that don't. How to bridge the gap is the key, and I don't really have a solution except for some gradual "education" similar to how NASCAR has done it. Modifying the existing race structure (less time between rounds has been a good start) to create a television product that's similar will also help.

Aside from that, I don't have anything else to offer...

This stuff isnt for everyone- some people, no matter what level of society, just don't get it.

Personally, I dig being in the "freak" catagory...:D

I work in a Downtown LA law firm...seven floors...surrounded by golfers...:rolleyes:
PROUD to be the only one in the office with an NHRA Competition License in my wallet!!:cool:

That's not the first time I've heard that... Seems to me a lot of drag racers and fans like what's considered an "alternative" sport, such as hockey. Find a hockey fan, and most likely you'll find a drag racing fan as well....

Now THAT I find very interesting. And to be honest, I can't say I've ever hear that before. Maybe my tastes in sports aren't so wacky after all. :D

Melissa, I doubt anybody wants Drag racing to become like Nascar for a Host of reasons. I certainly wouldn't want to wait in 2-3 hr traffic lines or pay $100 for a Ticket. But none the less this sport is underpromoted Heavily IMO!

Amen Joe... the traffic is bad enough at some tracks and the ticket prices are a little steep but nowhere near as steep as NASCAR. And yes, there is a hell of a lot more need for promotion of NHRA. I do have a few friends who are as passionate about their NASCAR as I am about NHRA. We banter back and forth about the two but it's all in good fun. However I am on a crusade to change their minds :D . You remember my friend Scott and his Fiance Laurie from Vegas? They were both more into NASCAR. When I started taking Scott to the races in Vegas when I'd go out there..he just kinda got bit by the bug. He would watch the races on TV then Laurie got into it from watching them on TV..last race I was there we took her for her first weekend of racing...she was so excited ALL weekend. I guess it's a good thing..a little more expensive for me (Now I gotta buy 4 tickets for the races instead of 3 ) But hey..I stay at his place for free :D

T

Although it will always be apples and oranges, the comparisons between the two sports will never stop.

I do find it interesting, however, that although most of you love the virtually unlimited access to the pits and the somewhat reasonable ticket prices in the NHRA, you push for better promotion of the sport. Now I like the perks the NHRA fan gets as much as the next guy/gal, but I'm afraid excessive promotion will actually lead to the demise of those perks. The more money that comes in, the more hollywood it will become, and if that's not properly balanced, NHRA will be forced into a NASCAR-esque structure because there will be entirely too many fans to deal with and even more gate revenue at stake.

Careful whacha' wish for..........................

Sean D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back