Brainerd roll call...who's going? (1 Viewer)

Thanks for the info Brian, I don't know what I'm getting into, but I bet it's gonna be memorable, :D

Joe, even if you go to Indy, why is Brainerd out of the question? You've done consecutive events before (I know...Brainerd and Indy aren't consecutive anymore).

That's true, but making arrangements for BIR are a Pain in the ass! Unless you have a nice camp set-up, your screwed! But I bet I'd take to the Zoo like a Aflac to Water!:p

We'll be there Fri-Sun....staying in Little Falls and commuting...nothing against camping...but I hate to have to take a vacation to recover from my vacation...lol...Sun 10 am in front of the nitro mall...I'll be there

I found this secret AMATURE footage of what appears to be Paul Songas or Mark Krogen at the zoo in brainerd...

YouTube - BIR Boy

Not sure who it is, due to the distance the video was shot at......

Man, I HAVE GOT TO DO THE ZOO NEXT YEAR!!!!!:D:D:D

Ya know, I gotta think that there's a massive spike in beer sales the week before Brainerd. On all those videos on youtube, notice the huge number of coolers on all those trailers.

That was definitely not me in that video. If I was walking around in my underwear, I'd wear cowboy boots.:D

Ya know, I gotta think that there's a massive spike in beer sales the week before Brainerd. On all those videos on youtube, notice the huge number of coolers on all those trailers.

That was definitely not me in that video. If I was walking around in my underwear, I'd wear cowboy boots.:D

Mark I was told that at least half of the guys/gals in the Zoo Don't buy tickets to the races, is that true? Sounds like a waist to travel out that way just for the partying...

Mark I was told that at least half of the guys/gals in the Zoo Don't buy tickets to the races, is that true? Sounds like a waist to travel out that way just for the partying...

You have to have a ticket just to get onto the grounds. Now whether they go WATCH the races is another matter.

Back when the mud pit was still there, it wasn't unusual for a lot of people to spend all their time at that, rather than in the grandstands.

You have to have a ticket to get into the grounds and you also have to have a camping pass, which is an added cost. Like David said, there are plenty of people there that have a ticket but they don't even watch the races.

You have to have a ticket just to get onto the grounds. Now whether they go WATCH the races is another matter.

Back when the mud pit was still there, it wasn't unusual for a lot of people to spend all their time at that, rather than in the grandstands.

The famed mud pit. I remember hanging out by that many a night. Well, I kinda remember it. I forget when did that go away?

They drained it the year after the infamous wet t shirt contest. That's the year they got serious about cracking down on rude behavior in the grandstands. I've recounted the story elsewere, but a group of Canadians sitting behind us got kicked out on Friday for insisting on chanting "show your &$%s"

Some pictures I took from 1985:
Brain85047.jpg

Brain85048.jpg

Brain85050.jpg

Last edited:
A few more:
Brain85053.jpg

Brain85054.jpg

Notice the two people in the middle, attaching a strap to an axle that was "removed" by the mud.
Brain85049.jpg

damn, i missed the mud pit years.......i believe someone got seriously
hurt or worse while pulling someone with chain...chain broke.
that's what i've heard.

the old rickety bleachers were gone 2 yrs. ago. - they bring in the
general admission bleachers just for nationals and they still extend
to around 1000' mark - they are 15 rows high i believe. they are fenced
in all the way to the end so day-trippers can not sneak into campground.
as a camper we have to pass through gates up near large grandstands
to access gen. admission bleachers, then walk back down track if
we want to watch from top end. i buy a reserved ticket every year, but
usually watch at least 2 rnds. from the top end.....fans are funner down there;
they put the kabosh to antagonizing good looking women, but hot days
still bring out the water pistols or similar........fun.

damn, i missed the mud pit years.......i believe someone got seriously
hurt or worse while pulling someone with chain...chain broke.
that's what i've heard/

I heard the hook broke, the chain snapped back through a rear window in a truck and instantly killed the woman in the passenger seat.

And that, as they say, was that.:(

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back