1000ft drag racing in Denver (1 Viewer)

Jim Head's comments on 1000' from Comp Plus....Thanks Bobby
“I have yet to meet a crew chief or driver that’s against it,” Head said. “I think at least 90% of them are in agreement. I now have the Force Racing camp all agreeing on that and quite frankly John Force is the sport of Drag Racing. That’s the challenge if you can convince John Force.
Yes a traditionalist loves 1320' but; 1000' is pretty awesome as well...especially if both cars make it to 1000' under full song. If it saves our heros then I'm all for it.

I'm finding the reactions by some folks to this change to be very telling concerning their concepts of what the sport is or should be, and what it really is.

Only the nitro classes are going to be racing a 1000-foot track. The other classes will be racing a 1320-foot track. If the only reason one attends an NHRA national event is to watch the nitro classes, they are missing a bunch of other classes that are also included in the real roots of drag racing, some more so than the nitro classes.

The ET's for the nitro cars will be reduced by .5 to .7 seconds on full passes. I can live with that. What's more important is, more drivers WILL live with that. The costs to compete in these classes should drop immediately. That is a positive result no matter what side of the issue you might be on. Speeds will be off, but not by that much. All of the calls to slow the cars down by other means involve added expenses to the race teams and additional measures taken by crew chiefs to try to adjust to those measures, breaking parts in the process.

Finally, I think way too many people either don't understand or don't believe that nitro racing could be eliminated for the same reasons rocket car drag racing was, or Class B Rally Car racing was (just to throw another type of racing into the equation). It could vanish because of local laws imposed on the sport, or because insurance availability to conduct the events disappears. Emotional reactions are expected when changes take place. Rational realizations to what could happen without the changes must also be considered.

I'm finding the reactions by some folks to this change to be very telling concerning their concepts of what the sport is or should be, and what it really is.

Only the nitro classes are going to be racing a 1000-foot track. The other classes will be racing a 1320-foot track. If the only reason one attends an NHRA national event is to watch the nitro classes, they are missing a bunch of other classes that are also included in the real roots of drag racing, some more so than the nitro classes.

The ET's for the nitro cars will be reduced by .5 to .7 seconds on full passes. I can live with that. What's more important is, more drivers WILL live with that. The costs to compete in these classes should drop immediately. That is a positive result no matter what side of the issue you might be on. Speeds will be off, but not by that much. All of the calls to slow the cars down by other means involve added expenses to the race teams and additional measures taken by crew chiefs to try to adjust to those measures, breaking parts in the process.

Finally, I think way too many people either don't understand or don't believe that nitro racing could be eliminated for the same reasons rocket car drag racing was, or Class B Rally Car racing was (just to throw another type of racing into the equation). It could vanish because of local laws imposed on the sport, or because insurance availability to conduct the events disappears. Emotional reactions are expected when changes take place. Rational realizations to what could happen without the changes must also be considered.
Great post Bob, Thank you.;)

I don't know how I feel about this to be honest.

But I do know this -- if the goal of the NHRA is to increase its fan base, this is not (in my opinion) a step in the right direction.

First, we have the countdown. The casual fan with not a lot of knowledge understands this. It changed from last year to this. More confusion.

Second, we have the changes in qualifying format. Top 12 times stand, and the last 4 are thrown out.

Third, we have fuel cars going to 1000' while the rest go the full 1/4 mile.

If I had no clue about drag racing, and I went to a race...I would ask myself this question.

Roundy-roundy cars. They go in circles. They go 400 laps. They go in circles. Fastest time starts at the front. First one to the finish line after 400 laps wins.

That's one of the reasons why NASCAR has a huge following. How hard is it to understand circles? Currently, you almost need an engineering degree to figure out all of the changes that are being made with our beloved sport.

No.

the car exploded a little after 1100'.

So no, at E-Town, no.

REX

Interesting. I didn't know it was that far down the track.

Okay. Hypothetically. The same thing happens at 900' in Englishtown, racing to a thousand feet. Same tragedy?

I am just playing devil's advocate here. I can learn to live with 1000' racing if it truly saves a life. But, what happens when someone gets killed racing at that length?

As long as men and women choose to race cars, and press limits with said cars, there will be deaths. I don't believe you can ever completely eliminate that possibility, in any form of racing.

Here's what I wonder. If the naysayers got to see two pairs of fuel cars run back to back, once on 1320 and once on 1,000, how much of a difference do you really think they'd experience/sense? Is one half of a second on the top end really going to change the show that much? I don't think so! I don't think I've ever had seats that were beyond the 1,000 mark. The cars have always been under power when they went by.

Here's another thing I wonder. Would a crewchief really change the tuneup that much from 1,320 to 1,000? The engine's only turn what? 500 relolutions on a pass?

The biggest mouths here are the one's who never drove anything faster than the family grocery getter down the 1320.

Frank Hawley told me YEARS ago (1986) when the Drag Racing school was new, that many "REAL men" were calling him and telling him they did not want to drive any of the girly girl:eek: Alcohol cars, that they wanted to have him "tip the can", and go directly to Fuel:cool:

These were guys with NO experience in these cars WHATSOEVER:confused:

They would run low 7's at over 190 on a good pass back then.

Any one here ever drove that quick..........you know what I'm talkin' about. I do.

Anyway, Hawley was getting so irritated over these inquiries, that he was threatening to build a two seater Nitro Funny, at the time they were running 5.60's.......... give the guy a ride, and after, if, after cleaning out their shorts, and finished crying like schoolgirls, if they still wanted to learn, he would teach them for free.:D

In other words, all you loudmouths that know what is best for the sport, better than the drivers know, better than the crew chiefs, and better than the owners, belly up to the bar, and put your money where your big mouths are.

Do what it takes to get a idea, no, a amusement park ride does not do them justice.

I support these brave men and women 100%.

And no, they ain't pussies.

THAT.........is damned low.

These posts, and some posters, still find new low's to sink to, and yet still continue to dig...............

REX

Interesting. I didn't know it was that far down the track.

Okay. Hypothetically. The same thing happens at 900' in Englishtown, racing to a thousand feet. Same tragedy?

I am just playing devil's advocate here. I can learn to live with 1000' racing if it truly saves a life. But, what happens when someone gets killed racing at that length?

As long as men and women choose to race cars, and press limits with said cars, there will be deaths. I don't believe you can ever completely eliminate that possibility, in any form of racing.

Well, you are right. it still may happen.

I'm not that smart, then again, not that stupid either.

Anything can happen with such extremes.

I was on the left side and for a instant saw the cylinders mixing up on the left bank, then all unholy hell broke loose.

I would say they began to mix up right at 1000', or maybe a bit earlier.

I do not think, pretty certain, the engine would have exploded, what is happening is they are hitting the rev limiter, and straining against it for an additional 300'.

the pro's, pretty much all of them, think this is very bad.

I'm not a fuel tuner, but I will tend to believe what they say on this.

REX.

I don't know how I feel about this to be honest.

But I do know this -- if the goal of the NHRA is to increase its fan base, this is not (in my opinion) a step in the right direction.

First, we have the countdown. The casual fan with not a lot of knowledge understands this. It changed from last year to this. More confusion.

Second, we have the changes in qualifying format. Top 12 times stand, and the last 4 are thrown out.

Third, we have fuel cars going to 1000' while the rest go the full 1/4 mile.

If I had no clue about drag racing, and I went to a race...I would ask myself this question.

Roundy-roundy cars. They go in circles. They go 400 laps. They go in circles. Fastest time starts at the front. First one to the finish line after 400 laps wins.

That's one of the reasons why NASCAR has a huge following. How hard is it to understand circles? Currently, you almost need an engineering degree to figure out all of the changes that are being made with our beloved sport.

Newbies don't know about the old points format, so it won't confuse them.
The only question is, if all teams play each other 23 times before the last race of the season, why do we NEED a playoff?

The first car to the finish line wins, that's not hard to understand

NASCAR? you don't think qualifying for the Daytona 500 isn't about the most complicated thing on the face of the earth.
Try keeping track of scoring in tennis. Almost as weird as that new fangled 3 point line in basketball... DH in baseball?

so qualifying, only the 12 quickest count... and?
In Nascar, didn't only the top twenty on the first day of qualifying count at one time... And NASCAR is on there 5th or 6th different points system? Remember when the ???Cup cars were called GRAND NATIONALS?

And, if you had no clue about drag racing, you wouldn't ask yourself those questions because you would have no idea to even ask them.
Your asking the questions because what was, not because what is today...
How did we decide the World Champion in 1969, and what did you have to do to even be invited to attend?
how many points system have we had in the last 50 years?

just wondering

d'kid

...In other words, all you loudmouths that know what is best for the sport, better than the drivers know, better than the crew chiefs, and better than the owners, belly up to the bar, and put your money where your big mouths are.

Do what it takes to get a idea, no, a amusement park ride does not do them justice.

I support these brave men and women 100%.

And no, they ain't pussies.

THAT.........is damned low.

These posts, and some posters, still find new low's to sink to, and yet still continue to dig...............

REX

No, they ain't "pussies". And, yes, I agree that kind of name-calling is low.

However, since it's drivers, crew chiefs, and owners that know what's best for the sport, then let them buy the tickets. As I said previously, I have no problem whatsoever with slowing the cars down - especially if it will save lives. But what I cannot and will not support is a change that fundamentally alters what drag racing has always been. And I feel strongly enough about it that I have put my tickets for all three days of the Seattle event in an envelope and will be sending them to Glendora tomorrow. Since there's no way on God's green earth that the NHRA will refund my money, that means it's going to cost me more than $300 to make my point (plus the $64 I sent in to renew my NHRA membership a couple of weeks ago, which I will now cancel).

Please explain the logic behind the decision to ditch the race and cancel your membership.

It has to make sense to you I guess but it's beyond my comprehension.

Brian

No, they ain't "pussies". And, yes, I agree that kind of name-calling is low.

However, since it's drivers, crew chiefs, and owners that know what's best for the sport, then let them buy the tickets. As I said previously, I have no problem whatsoever with slowing the cars down - especially if it will save lives. But what I cannot and will not support is a change that fundamentally alters what drag racing has always been. And I feel strongly enough about it that I have put my tickets for all three days of the Seattle event in an envelope and will be sending them to Glendora tomorrow. Since there's no way on God's green earth that the NHRA will refund my money, that means it's going to cost me more than $300 to make my point (plus the $64 I sent in to renew my NHRA membership a couple of weeks ago, which I will now cancel).

That is your right to do.

I will stand with the risk takers, Scott's competitors and friends, that I saw crying in the pits there that awful Saturday, that put it all on the line.

Sorry to see you go.

But the show will still go on.

MY entertainment does not trump peoples lives, Fathers, Sons, Daughters, and friends and all their families.

They want to live to see another day.......

How could they be so inconsiderate......................

REX

Please explain the logic behind the decision to ditch the race and cancel your membership.

Brian

Called "my way or the highway"

Otherwise, when I was a child, called a "tantrum".

Holding of the breath 'till one turns blue..............

Whatever, the show will go on.

This was a smart move by the drivers and PRO and the NHRA.

REX

Brian

It's very simple: what the NHRA has done is make a fundamental change to what drag racing has always been. As I've stated above, it's the equivilant of the NFL changing the size of the football field or the MLB altering the length of the base paths. Starting with Denver not only will the fuel cars be racing at 1000 feet, but all the old E.T's will be out the window as well. I want no part of it.

Here's what I wonder. If the naysayers got to see two pairs of fuel cars run back to back, once on 1320 and once on 1,000, how much of a difference do you really think they'd experience/sense? Is one half of a second on the top end really going to change the show that much? I don't think so! I don't think I've ever had seats that were beyond the 1,000 mark. The cars have always been under power when they went by.

In Denver, there aren't stands way down there anyway. The only way a typical fan would be that car, at least on the pit side, would to be in the Pro Stock/Comp/Sportsman pits. No cushie bleachers for them to sit at, have to stand along the fence.

* Will all the old Beach Boys et/al songs that refer to the 1/4 Mile races leave future generations wondering what they were referring to?

Since few people born in the past 40 years understands what any of the following lyrics mean, they won't miss 1/4 mile.

Tach it up

Buddy, gonna shut you down

Two cool shorts standing side by side

Declining numbers at an even rate

At the count of one we both accelerate

The 413's really digging in

Powershift...here we go

Hear his two quads drink

He's hot with ram induction

Buddy, now I shut you down

Brian

Hey Brian,
Were you working any of the IHRA races that went 1/8 last year? Just looking for some feedback from the fans/racers at those events. The IHRA seems to be still alive and well.

The Pro Mod circuit runs 1/8 mile as much or more than 1/4 mile.. People still attend.

I think NHRA is doing what they need to for the time being. As stated earlier, how could they possibly throw a whole new tuning scenario at the players halfway through the season while there is a moratorium on testing, a new F/C chassis mandate and new tires..

You would have absolute chaos.

The underdogs are doing well this year, do you think they would be able to recover their tuning as fast as the multi-car teams. No offense to anybody, but I doubt it.

Put 1000' racing together with (my guess) a 20-25% reduction in Nitro required per run and they may have not only made the racing safer, but may be helping to ensure enough Nitro for the remainder of the season.

Maybe the teams can extend their warm-ups a minute or two make it up to us. :D

It may not be the perfect solution, but I feel it has it's place for now, until a better, permanent solution can be agreed upon.

Rich -
If you truly feel the way you do about the change, the NHRA isn't going to give a rats a$$ about you returning your tickets - hell they will probably resell them and make more $$. I would suggest a small protest done tastefully at the race (T-Shirt, Sign, etc) to get your point across to the fans that may not know any better. Give Larry Morgan a call, he may have a few ideas for you. :eek:

this Just In! I Just Got A Press Release The Nhra Will Now Have Enough Nitro To Get Them To The Dallas Race Now Because Of Switching To 1000'!!!! Its Helping To Nitro Sortage Good Job Nhra!!!!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back