1000ft drag racing in Denver (1 Viewer)

They have officially screwed up my home race, first no alcohol cars now this. Why don't they just take the rev limiters off the cars? Mandate air launched, larger chutes. You're already down on power and Bandimere has an up hill shut down:mad:

S/F
D

may I say, 240Gordie... @ 6.7-6.8
Snow breaking 2 bucks in a flopper @ mid sevens
Rich Siroonian running the first 220.... @6.9ish

all these happened between 35 and 40 years ago... and we're still running the same tracks?

1000 feet is a nice round number, even makes one one heck of a lot more sense than one thousand three hundred and twenty... the speed traps were 132 feet long, 66 before the finish line, 66 feet after... where the term running it out the back door came from... and recorded top speeds drop almost 10 mph by making the finish line lights stop the mph clock too... surprising that extra 66 feet kept cars from running of the end of the track, but it did.

d'kid

I would actually like to applaud the NHRA for this decision in the wake of what has happened in the past couple of years ,this is the first sensible step they have taken , with the higher cost incurred by the teams on parts, fuel, etc maybe this is also a way to lower the cost for them!

Didn't NHRA want a reduction to 1000 ft back around 1980 which spawned the infamous "thousand foot club" at Indy? Personally, Joe average won't know the difference or even care that they've been cheated out of 320ft of possible carnage on each fuel run.

Jack,
I was a member of 'The Thousand Foot Club' At OCIR starting in 1969... The term means People that think the best racing and seats are a 1000Ft. I got laid for the first time at The County, In the lot behind the 1000 ft stands. but that was spring of '72.

d'kid

I am not going to complain about trying to make it safer.

but it does equate to a loss of about 15 %- 20% of the total time under power for the fuel car field. which you could equate to 15%-20% less fuel racing. no idea if that will affect fan turn out.

well, i don't post much as i'm pretty much a nobody but, i may have to got saturday just to see the difference.
btw, if Scott Kallitta would have had the accident at bandimere, there's a really good chance he could have landed in the sportsman pits as there's a dirt embankment after the sand and net....yeah, the shutdown area is uphill but....

Time out,

Everyone go watch "Fiddler on the Roof'", then come back and honestly tell me which character we all sound like.

Wally picked a number based on the 440 year dash, once around the track, about 2 city blocks depending on which story you believe. It could just as easily been 250 meters, you know, a 1/4 Kilometer. A half mile on an airport runway? 1/5 because that's all you had to deal with? 1/8th (stop light to stop light)?

pick one, they all have as many roots in our sport as Wally's 1320.

d'kid

Last edited:
This step may or may not have saved a driver in the passed, but if it saves one in the future, how can it be wrong.

What I would be interested in seeing would be the numbers for the reduction of downforce and therefor less tire strain.

So now this begs the question, what happens with points and how they're awarded for National Records? Do they start over with a clean slate effective at Denver so that whomever runs low ET gets 20 bonus points for a new record?

a permanent solution will cost money. this will save money. there's your answer as to how long this will last.

I was just about to go online to buy my plane tickets to vegas. if I hadn't already bought the race tickets I wouldn't bother.

how far down the track was tony p when he blew up at pomona?

the average fan won't notice eh? I guess I'm not the average fan.

pedalfest drivers race!
not.

this is all about the big teams wanting to maintain their advantage. no change to the cars , no change to the tuneups.

the cars need to be slower as in ACCELLERATING SLOWER. Not reaching a lower top speed because the track is shorter...

:mad:

And what becomes of the National Records ? Will there be a new first at 100mph 200mph 300mph. And et.s I can live with slower cars. They were a blast to watch at 250mph. New Tee Shirt " Bring back the 1/4 "

this will mean the crew chiefs will only make the wick shorter, more fuel, more blower , more everything because they wont be hitting the rev-limiter. and god forbid there is an accident, then what? 660ft racing?
Most of them weren't hitting the rev limiter until about the 1000-foot mark anyway. They've already been throwing everything they have at it to get to that point. I'd like to hear from an actual nitro crew chief on this matter. Given the numbers run with the rev limiter kicking in when it does, I really doubt the tune ups will change much, if at all. Jim Head has already said that racing a 1000-foot track will cost Alan Johnson money because his customers won't need to buy as many of his parts.

a permanent solution will cost money. this will save money. there's your answer as to how long this will last.

I was just about to go online to buy my plane tickets to vegas. if I hadn't already bought the race tickets I wouldn't bother.

how far down the track was tony p when he blew up at pomona?

the average fan won't notice eh? I guess I'm not the average fan.

pedalfest drivers race!
not.

this is all about the big teams wanting to maintain their advantage. no change to the cars , no change to the tuneups.

the cars need to be slower as in ACCELLERATING SLOWER. Not reaching a lower top speed because the track is shorter...

:mad:

Epping is still 1320 ft.

In the best interest of the sport I say good on NHRA!!!! I'll be interested to see if this cuts costs and reduces engine carnage.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back